• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-08-18

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I think Robin has succinctly, funnily and accurately captured the very essence of Eva. How does she manage to be so consistently awesome?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Asuka's nipple? That's all she gets? But you could hardly see them in the movie.
I want to spend money at that theme park too. The interactive Hideaki Anno statue is awesome.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
This comic takes a poke at ridiculous Evangelion merchandising, how Hideaki Anno is an arsehole to the very fans which made Evangelion popular and GAINAX very well off, and how fans will pay for the most stupidest things. It's like three awesome strips for the space of one, even more awesome-er strip. Is there anything Robin can't do?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Gainax forever indeed.

Great strip Robin, and this coming from a pretty big Eva fan.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hideaki Anno is an arsehole to the very fans which made Evangelion popular

How is he an a-hole to them, exactly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Have to admit this one is good, funny, and unnervingly true!!!

Nina's responses are so accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
As a massive Eva fan, I love this comic. And I would probably spend money just to see the interactive Anno statue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Hideaki Anno is an arsehole to the very fans which made Evangelion popular

How is he an a-hole to them, exactly?

There is a fairly popular and long-standing theory that End of Evangelion was one big "screw you" message by Anno to fans who had so pitched fits over the way he ended the TV series that a few even went as far as sending death threats. (The text of these can be seen flashed on the screen at one point late in EoE, which some take as conclusive evidence of this.) This theory persists because the movie seems to give fans everything they wanted before taking its cruel and bizarre turns in its later stages (especially concerning Asuka).

Oh, and as a big Eva fan, I also found this absolutely hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
OK, I want an Anno statue JUST like that!

Hilarious, Robin!
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Personally, I've always thought it was pretty clear that EoE was the originally-intended ending, but I've learned better than to attempt to tell anyone what to think about Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There is a fairly popular and long-standing theory that End of Evangelion was one big "screw you" message by Anno to fans who had so pitched fits over the way he ended the TV series that a few even went as far as sending death threats. (The text of these can be seen flashed on the screen at one point late in EoE, which some take as conclusive evidence of this.) This theory persists because the movie seems to give fans everything they wanted before taking its cruel and bizarre turns in its later stages (especially concerning Asuka).

Oh, and as a big Eva fan, I also found this absolutely hilarious.

It's kind of funny when I prefer End of Evangelion MORE than the actual TV show. Not even just episodes 25 and 26, the entire thing. I guess his big EF YOU to some fans was more like a sweet night of romantic love?
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's kind of funny when I prefer End of Evangelion MORE than the actual TV show. Not even just episodes 25 and 26, the entire thing. I guess his big EF YOU to some fans was more like a sweet night of romantic love?

Oh, so, so agreed. I don't even bother watching the TV series ending anymore. If I'm watching Eva, I always watch EoE as the proper ending. It's up there as one of my favourite movies ever, and I've watched it enough that I can recite good chunks of the dialogue along with the movie in Japanese. If all Hideaki Anno's 'screw-you's are like this, I say, keep 'em coming.

Personally, I always thought EoE was how the series was supposed to have ended, but they were simply unable to due to lack of budget.[/i]

Last edited by Quark on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 am; edited 2 times in total
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
LMAO!! Anime hyper

But why can I see someone, somewhere, making a Rei statue outta smaller Rei figurines as a alternative art project....?

**Artistic Senses Tingling**
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This comic takes a poke at ridiculous Evangelion merchandising, how Hideaki Anno is an arsehole to the very fans which made Evangelion popular and GAINAX very well off,

RahXephon fan says 'What?'
(Judging from your avatar)

Heh Very Happy

I just thought ' If Robin was ever an Eva fan, the honeymoon is over!'

Does the substance coming out of the statue actually smell like cynicism and contempt?

The nipple should come with 3D glasses. (for a few extra $$ you can dress up as Shinji and...um...nevermind)

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Oh, so, so agreed. I don't even bother watching the TV series ending anymore. If I'm watching Eva, I always watch EoE as the proper ending. It's up there as one of my favourite movies ever, and I've watched it enough that I can recite good chunks of the dialogue along with the movie in Japanese. If all Hideaki Anno's 'screw-you's are like this, I say, keep 'em coming.

QFT. As far as I'm concerned, the entire series - original ending and all - is just setup for EoE, one of the most amazing just-under-two-hours in the history of animated cinema. The end of the world as we know it was never before or since so perfectly traumatizing and beautiful.

Sorry. Gushing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5