• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
did the movies come with the pencil boards?

The second movie has a pencil board. But all the DVDs have their inserts. A few of the TV series DVDs have postcards.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
did the movies come with the pencil boards?

The second movie has a pencil board. But all the DVDs have their inserts. A few of the TV series DVDs have postcards.

Lucky~ i guess the seller wasn't a jerk like me... >3> i kept the postcards when i sold the singles i had...

o3o the pencil board for the first movie is the same as the cover so your not really missing out by not having it.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Stupid Amazon has canceled my order for Utena vol. 5 due to inability to get it from the supplier or some such, so I decided to pick up Aqua vol. 2 and Aria vol. 1. Then, while looking through the Bargain Bin, I noticed Wish vol. 1 for $3.99. I've heard mixed reactions to it, but it's CLAMP, it's cheap, and I'm willing to give it a shot.

Edit: murph76, I am insanely envious.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I usually just go into local stores to buy anime. It's cold in there so I have to wear a ski mask so I don't catch a cold. I also like to point my finger at people when I'm talking to them but that's considered rude so I just put my hand in my coat pocket and do it. My father always told me if I have anything to say then say it strongly, with conviction. So when I demand anime from them they usually just give it to me for free Smile I haven't paid for anime in 3 years. People are so nice.

I finally saved up some money and bought myself a few things off Amazon today. I got them from shawnek so I know they're legit copies and not bootlegs. I bought Fullmetal Alchemist Season 1 Part 2 Box Set, Season 2 Part 1 Box Set, and Season 2 Part 2. Grand total $42 with shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Now I know $42 isn't what some may call splurging but when you're a poor college student with rent payments, utilities, and such, $42 is like a bar of gold. I'm still on the hunt for Season 1 Part 1 but I couldn't find one in my current budget that didn't have "some scratches on disks" in their description.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
BrightxRingxFirefly wrote:
Then, while looking through the Bargain Bin, I noticed Wish vol. 1 for $3.99. I've heard mixed reactions to it, but it's CLAMP, it's cheap, and I'm willing to give it a shot.
Wish is excellent, very nice if you want to read something short and sweet (parts of the translation may leave you irritated at Tokyopop's handling of the series, however, but other than that). ^^ I personally fell in love with it with the first volume.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Murph, just out of curiosity, may I ask what you paid for such an 18-volume set?

Also, a question to Murph and others who have bought Japanese DVDs without English subs - How do you watch them?
I mean, do you keep the sub files on your HD or a memory stick? Or mux your own subbed DVDs? Or use the official DVDs as an excuse to keep the fansubbed version around?
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Wish is excellent, very nice if you want to read something short and sweet (parts of the translation may leave you irritated at Tokyopop's handling of the series, however, but other than that). ^^ I personally fell in love with it with the first volume.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I kind of expected translation issues due to what I've already heard, but your post has me more excited to read it. Very Happy
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Murph, just out of curiosity, may I ask what you paid for such an 18-volume set?

I'd rather not get into that information. Let's just say it wasn't cheap, but it was a better price that what the legitimate set sells for on Amazon Marketplace. And, it was less expensive than buying the DVDs individually. I did research that option to see what it would cost.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Also, a question to Murph and others who have bought Japanese DVDs without English subs - How do you watch them?
I mean, do you keep the sub files on your HD or a memory stick? Or mux your own subbed DVDs? Or use the official DVDs as an excuse to keep the fansubbed version around?

Mine are the official R1 releases. They have English subtitles, but no dub (Cardcaptors, and all). I have never imported a DVD.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

I just started importing ef ~ a tale memories and they don't have subs on the discs. What I'm going to do is download some fansubs, even though I don't ever use them (at least not anymore), and just watch it that way. I bought the show, so there's really no problem with me downloading it now and, at this point, I wouldn't really call it an "excuse" to download fansubs. It's like how some collectors never open their DVDs to keep them mint, but just download DVD rips so they can still watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I'd rather not get into that information. Let's just say it wasn't cheap, but it was a better price that what the legitimate set sells for on Amazon Marketplace. And, it was less expensive than buying the DVDs individually. I did research that option to see what it would cost.

Ah, no problem. I was just curious about what CCS was going for these days. I see Amazon has it for $229 Shocked
Quote:
Mine are the official R1 releases. They have English subtitles, but no dub (Cardcaptors, and all). I have never imported a DVD.

Oops, my mistake. I saw the kana on the spines and thought it was the Japanese version.

The King of Harts wrote:
[..], at this point, I wouldn't really call it an "excuse" to download fansubs.

'Excuse' may not have been the right word. If you own an official copy of an anime, there really isn't anything wrong about getting a fansub of it anymore.
Will you be keeping the fansub around indefinitely for whenever the mood strikes you to watch ef, or redownload as needed?

You see, one of the reasons I'm interested in buying Japanese anime DVDs (besides owning anime that I like) is that it would free up space on my HD.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
'Excuse' may not have been the right word. If you own an official copy of an anime, there really isn't anything wrong about getting a fansub of it anymore.
Will you be keeping the fansub around indefinitely for whenever the mood strikes you to watch ef, or redownload as needed?

I'll just put them on one of my flash drives and use it whenever I'm in the mood; so, yes, I'll be keeping them. I just don't have the right ISP to be re-downloading stuff all the time.

Quote:
You see, one of the reasons I'm interested in buying Japanese anime DVDs (besides owning anime that I like) is that it would free up space on my HD.

Well, not a lot of shows (at least not the ones I'm interested in) have subs, so you'll probably have to be keeping the fansubs anyways so you can watch it. You should definitely research which shows have subs and which don't so you know which fansubs you can delete.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

I just started importing ef ~ a tale memories and they don't have subs on the discs. What I'm going to do is download some fansubs, even though I don't ever use them (at least not anymore), and just watch it that way. I bought the show, so there's really no problem with me downloading it now and, at this point, I wouldn't really call it an "excuse" to download fansubs. It's like how some collectors never open their DVDs to keep them mint, but just download DVD rips so they can still watch it.

Congrats, dude, you have just moved another notch up the Serious Collector scale. Here's my rough guide:

Serious Collector - Anybody who has purchased 100 or more official TV series releases.

Rilly Serious Collector - Anybody who meets criterion above AND who buys singles in preference over box sets.

Rilly, RILLY Serious Collector - Anybody who meets the first two criteria AND who has ordered releases from non-Japanese regions outside their own region (i.e. somebody who lives in R1 orders something from R4).

Rilly, RILLY, Supah-cereal Serious Collector - Anybody who meets the first three criteria AND who has imported original Japanese releases EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T SPEAK OR UNDERSTAND JAPANESE.

Rilly, RILLY Supah-cereal Serious God-like Collector - Anybody who meets the first four criteria AND who has boffed a seiyuu.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Serious Collector - Anybody who has purchased 100 or more official TV series releases.

Check

Quote:
Rilly Serious Collector - Anybody who meets criterion above AND who buys singles in preference over box sets.

Check

Quote:
Rilly, RILLY Serious Collector - Anybody who meets the first two criteria AND who has ordered releases from non-Japanese regions outside their own region (i.e. somebody who lives in R1 orders something from R4).

Check

Quote:
Rilly, RILLY, Supah-cereal Serious Collector - Anybody who meets the first three criteria AND who has imported original Japanese releases EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T SPEAK OR UNDERSTAND JAPANESE.

Check

Quote:
Rilly, RILLY Supah-cereal Serious God-like Collector - Anybody who meets the first four criteria AND who has boffed a seiyuu.

Aw, no Check. Seriously though, how many people are going to be doing the previous four AND laying an idol? Do see where your math is wrong and why those things don't add up. Or at least why serious collectors don't multiply? All we know how to do is divide our collections up onto shelves and subtract money out of our bank accounts.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
@KOH

Looks like I'm pretty much in the same boat lol. With the exception that anything I've bought from Japan always has english subs at least. But I always prefer singles, or at least chipboard thinpacks. Funi's flimsy crap can go to hell. Neutral
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously though, how many people are going to be doing the previous four AND laying an idol? Do see where your math is wrong and why those things don't add up. Or at least why serious collectors don't multiply? All we know how to do is divide our collections up onto shelves and subtract money out of our bank accounts.

Sorry, but I refuse to give up my dream of making sweet, sweet love to Rie Kugimiya while she berates me in a tsundere voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 559 of 1400