• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Kyoto Animation Awards Launched

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levsta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
I sure hope they actually pick a grand prize this time. I was bummed and kinda angry when they didn't pick a winner, unless all of the entries weren't very good or something. Either way, seemed like a bit of a cop-out on KyoAni's part; we'll see what happens this time.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kyoto Animation will hold the copyrights of the award-winning works.

I can easily see this going the wrong way. Why should KyoAni be the one who holds copyrights to the works? Wouldn't that be robbing ideas from its creator?

Quote:
This year, the rules state in writing that there is a chance that a prize will not be awarded due to no qualifying entries.

This basically deters people from entering. Although the prize money is nice, it's not worth it if KyoAni is going to be jerks like they were last year.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Makes me wary of them. No winner and grand prize stuff leads me to believe that they are scalping for ideas. With so much potential ideas, they can combine some and change there for new anime and say again that there won't be winners to avoid credit. I just really hope that it doesn't turn out that way. Best of luck for the writers.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not that difficult to write a story that KyoAni will want to animate, just make sure it's a 4-koma with little to no plot, and please don't skimp on the moe moe. Laughing
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
It's actually not that uncommon for Japanese novel prize awards to not give the grand prize out if the standard of competition isn't high enough - an example would be the well-known Dengeki Novel Prize, which failed to award a grand prize winner or gold prize winner on a few occasions.

Again, I am slightly disappointed that I cannot enter this competition, just because my manuscript has to be in Japanese (though it's understandable, being a competition based in Japan). I wish they could have an international category just for foreign (i.e. English or other languages) submissions, but I suppose it's a lot more work for them as they would have to translate themselves... =_=

Oh well, I'll just keep chugging away for the time being...

O-O~
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Quote:
Kyoto Animation will hold the copyrights of the award-winning works.

I can easily see this going the wrong way. Why should KyoAni be the one who holds copyrights to the works? Wouldn't that be robbing ideas from its creator?

Normal practice in the industry. Even for anime KyoAni already creates, they themselves don't hold the rights, others like Kadokawa do. Same with manga, the publishers, not the mangaka do. Likewise with music industry, the artists' works belong to the labels. When they leave the label, their music still belongs to label. The only exception to this practice are independent works (doujinshi print, music, games etc) and open source or creative commons work.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Normal practice in the industry. Even for anime KyoAni already creates, they themselves don't hold the rights, others like Kadokawa do. Same with manga, the publishers, not the mangaka do. Likewise with music industry, the artists' works belong to the labels. When they leave the label, their music still belongs to label. The only exception to this practice are independent works (doujinshi print, music, games etc) and open source or creative commons work.

In publishing the mangaka generally share the rights. Sometimes a mangaka will switch publishers, a really famous example is that the manga that Trigun was serialized in went under, and the mangaka went to a new publisher. He was allowed to finish off Trigun as Trigun Maximum.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
configspace wrote:

In publishing the mangaka generally share the rights. Sometimes a mangaka will switch publishers, a really famous example is that the manga that Trigun was serialized in went under, and the mangaka went to a new publisher. He was allowed to finish off Trigun as Trigun Maximum.

And most recently with Rozen Maiden and Battle Angel which may switch publisher if the author isn't pleased by it's current publisher.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This seems just so pointless.

From last years performance it resembles a phishing scam more than anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

From last years performance it resembles a phishing scam more than anything else.

To be honest why award a piece of work that wasn't good in the first place?
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

To be honest why award a piece of work that wasn't good in the first place?

If this was Studio 4C or A-1 Pictures, I might be keen to agree with you, but this is KyoAni. They aren't exactly bastions of narrative quality.
superunature

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
kyoani is very good animation company that pays close attention to details.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1