• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Lagoon, Hellsing Creators Discuss Illegal Uploads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Weird.... what's with all the mangaka growing a pair lately? Even the women...

Where's the "growing of pairs"? That's just twitter trolling. By really talented guys, that's also true.

If you want to be really brave, you go face to face and punch someone in the face. Like Revy or Dutch would do. Or Alucard.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other creators, such as Abnormal Physiology Seminar creator TAGRO, expressed their support for Toboso, while users debated her stance and the legal issues involved.

I understand people debating their stance ... but the legal issues involved? "Debating" the legal issues involved?

What debate? Scanlations without permission are illegal, and under any imaginable reform of copyright will remain illegal. Fansubs without permission are illegal and under any imaginable reform of copyright will remain illegal. Distributing scanlations and fansubs without permission of both the original content creator and the fan translator is illegal, whether by IRC or torrent or direct viewer site or upload to a safe harbor site or email or burning onto a CD-ROM and handing around. And will remain illegal under any imaginable reform to copyright.

Not a whole hell of a lot to debate on the legality.
Elisian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
It always makes my day when creaters, and VAs speak out against fansubbers, and scanlaters. These people deserve to be made fun of. If you don't buy it, you aren't a fan, just a leech. Fight the good fight!
skafreak51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This totally makes my day. I really hate people who steal and don't give a crap. I really hope that people stop this bs, and I kind of agree with what they say and messed up as it is Razz

And coming from Rei that makes it even freakin better![/u]
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
In my opinion, sometimes you need a little Light to fix things every now and then. Uploaders dying from heart attacks would be awesome.

But how would Light get their name and face?
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree that their comments are kind of tasteless, though fans of Hellsing and Black Lagoon could probably attest to the fact that these guys have always had a very dark sense of humor.

It's interesting to get so many statements on this issue from the creators themselves, though. I'm glad that ANN is covering them.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
How... crude.

I preferred the way Toboso stated her opinion on the matter. She sounded more like a scolding teacher than anything. This sounds more like trolling using phrases that can be considered very insulting/ignorant even if it's joking. A part of me did get a chuckle out of it, but another part of me was like, 'oh god, he's joking about someone getting cancer'.

Professionally, I think there's a point that shouldn't be crossed, and that one probably was it. It's not going to affect me buying their series (still plan on buying Hellsing, and if I like the anime of BL I'll probably buy the manga as well), but I can see where a lot of people would get up in arms about it.

EDIT: I should note that I don't hold it against them for stating what they stated, since it is a very serious matter. I just didn't like the way they stated it.

And people on here calling for blood kind of makes me go Confused

Last edited by Crisha on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Well maybe if people would stop stealing their stuff and endgangering their artistic and financial livelihood, we wouldn't have to endure the pain and horror of rightfully disgruntled mangaka's cancer jokes Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
People... make jokes... about... c-c-c-cancer?! Oh my stars and garters!

Some of you need to lighten up.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Quote:
Other creators, such as Abnormal Physiology Seminar creator TAGRO, expressed their support for Toboso, while users debated her stance and the legal issues involved.

I understand people debating their stance ... but the legal issues involved? "Debating" the legal issues involved?

What debate? Scanlations without permission are illegal, and under any imaginable reform of copyright will remain illegal. Fansubs without permission are illegal and under any imaginable reform of copyright will remain illegal. Distributing scanlations and fansubs without permission of both the original content creator and the fan translator is illegal, whether by IRC or torrent or direct viewer site or upload to a safe harbor site or email or burning onto a CD-ROM and handing around. And will remain illegal under any imaginable reform to copyright.

Not a whole hell of a lot to debate on the legality.

The Temple Knights website pointed out that under the current Copyright Law of Japan — even including the sections that were amended this year — watching an unauthorized stream from YouTube and similar video websites is not considered a prohibited "download."

On the other hand, unauthorized uploads remain prohibited in Japan. As of this past January, knowingly downloading copyrighted material without authorization is also now prohibited in Japan.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
matrixdude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
What is up with all the illegal downloaders mocking mangaka by telling them they didn't pay for their work? For once, I agree with those mangaka's statements.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I just remembered the way that some people responded to Toboso's statement with "Well, we hope that she does starve to death!" or something like that. Which doesn't make the comments here any more appropriate, but it does show that the nastiness is going both ways.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes yes yes yes YES!!!! Even if it's a bit harsh, I'm loving the mangaka coming out and finally telling us what they're REALLY thinking. Freaking awesome. guys!

Last edited by machetecat on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
First the mangka of Black Bluter, than an epic combination of Zac/Justin/Daryl/Mike, and now this. Fansubber's arguments are getting shot down rapidly and I'm loving it. Very Happy
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
And people thought Toboso was overreacting. Laughing

I understand their feelings, though. Too bad this thread is going to go up in flames......
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19