• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Lagoon, Hellsing Creators Discuss Illegal Uploads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Actually, I just remembered the way that some people responded to Toboso's statement with "Well, we hope that she does starve to death!" or something like that. Which doesn't make the comments here any more appropriate, but it does show that the nastiness is going both ways.

EXACTLY, that's why this needs to get, in Pantera's words "F'ing HOSTILE!" I still feel that these fansubbers/scanlation/uploaders need to die a horrible death... but for everyone to watch so that examples are made of them. That's just my views, it's hard, it's cruel, but I've seen far too many once prominent artists now jobless because of cutbacks resulting from way too much illegal uploading/downloading and whatever else, not just in manga. Go to an official Drink and Draw meet-up in LA sometime and talk to some of the artists there. You might recognize them. Then ask what they're up to now. Now you see why wishing cancer at one of the uploaders is a light and small punishment.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Is the floodgate starting to open? Are the leeches about to lose their tenuous justification that the creators like being ripped off? This could be quite entertaining.

My father was killed by pancreatic cancer, and I wouldn't wish a death like that on anyone. Not even a leech. I doubt that these mangaka meant their statements literally. I have no doubt, however, that their posts were meant to express very real frustration with the leeches that are stealing their work.

It would be awesome if the mangaka and anime creators were to start speaking out en masse. Perhaps this is the beginning, eh?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to all the manga-ka who are starting to speak out, maybe with so many speaking out that we'll see a crunchyroll-esque website for the latest manga chapters. /vain hope
skafreak51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
okay just like a few other people in here have said, someone very close to me also died due to cancer, and it's definitely one of the worst things someone could go through, so maybe cancer isn't the RIGHT thing to say...

but at that, I do agree with the mangaka- the people who do that crap deserve to get hit with lightning, and people who just leech and steal and never buy deserve to go broke.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
People... make jokes... about... c-c-c-cancer?! Oh my stars and garters!

Some of you need to lighten up.

And you wouldn't be laughing if you had cancer yourself, or someone you loved has cancer, now would you?

I respect their right to be angry, but at least use something abit more painful....like being run over by a car or killed by a rabbit.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

And you wouldn't be laughing if you had cancer yourself, or someone you loved has cancer, now would you?

Considering you have zero knowledge of my personal history you should probably keep this kind of scolding to yourself there buddy.

Moving on.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
HAHAHA this is a great sunday! Booyyy, how I like Black humor.

Good thing, I buy their manga.

So any chances, that a new cancer will appear in the news?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why some people her seem to think that losing a loved one forever makes you lose the ability to find humor in jokes about death. As I mentioned early in the thread, I lost my father to pancreatic cancer, yet I still found the comment from Rei Hiroe amusing, though I found the meteorite comment funnier.

What should not surprise anyone is that many people react really negatively when others threaten their livelihood. Forget joking about death, I don't think there have been any shortage of murders over the same issue. So it really should come as no shock that those awful, insensitive mangaka are actually kind of pissed about this.
m_milburn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
I vote all three get together and create a short manga about this. Or maybe even an ongoing manga. It can be kind of like Hell Girl-- a series of episodic one-shots in which each chapter shows the (increasingly unlikely) demise of a manga/anime uploader.

That would be cool. I'd buy that. Razz
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
m_milburn wrote:
giapet wrote:
I vote all three get together and create a short manga about this. Or maybe even an ongoing manga. It can be kind of like Hell Girl-- a series of episodic one-shots in which each chapter shows the (increasingly unlikely) demise of a manga/anime uploader.

Me too. One wonders though, would the uploaders rip it off as well?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
m_milburn wrote:
giapet wrote:

It really sounds worth buying, so count me in. Cool
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Two close members of my family have died from cancer.

I still laugh at cancer jokes. In fact my Grandfather wouldn't stop making cancer jokes when he was dying. Pissed my grandmother off, but gave him a sense of psychological victory at being able to laugh at what was killing him.

For people who want to take this seriously:
http://www.support4change.com/health/living/humor/sense-humor.html
http://www2.uic.edu/orgs/jphas/journal/vol4/issue1/research_ak.shtml
http://www.versuscancer.com/cancer-jokes.html

For people who just want a laugh:

A religious man discovers that he has testicular cancer, and decides to pray for a miracle. The next day he visits a urologist, who tells him he must have surgery immediately. He tells the doctor "I do not want you to remove my testicle, I am praying for a miracle from God". Then he visits a radiologist, who tells him that he must begin radiation therapy immediately. He tells the doctor "I do not want you to expose my body to radiation, I am putting my faith in God." Finally he visits an oncologist, who tells him that he must start chemotherapy immediately. He tells the doctor "I do not want you to inject me with caustic chemicals, God will heal me." A few months later he dies and goes to heaven, where he is very upset and asks God why he didn't give him a miracle. God replies "I gave you three miracles, a urologist, an oncologist and a radiologist, but you chose to ignore them."

So to answer your question (even though it was directed at Zac), Yes, I did laugh, I still laugh, and I will continue to laugh at cancer jokes.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
I don't know why some people her seem to think that losing a loved one forever makes you lose the ability to find humor in jokes about death. As I mentioned early in the thread, I lost my father to pancreatic cancer, yet I still found the comment from Rei Hiroe amusing, though I found the meteorite comment funnier.

I'll second this. I lost my grandfather to lung cancer/smoking, but I still laughed quite a bit during Thank You For Smoking.

This sounds like that same nonsense when people said Kennedy's death would kill all laughter for good. Really, people, REALLY? Confused There's allowing some time for mourning, then there's just being melodramatic and a party-pooper.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
Entry-level 2ch-style trolling, not so good.

On that note, what reaction has there been to these comments on 2ch? Are the users of such an imageboard hostile to the recent expressions?

It is, of course, the authors' prerogative to make these statements, though I cannot expect all fans to applaud them for doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IndeterminateForm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this just another case of Japanese manga-ka telling off Japanese fans for boasting about reading their stuff for free? How this relates to fansubs and scanlations is pretty vague. These things may be hurting the R1 industry, but there's not enough information about how reliant the Japanese industry is on the money made from R1 licenses to start saying if people in America continue to obtain anime and manga through illegal means the Japanese industry is going the collapse and manga-ka are going to be out on the street with "will draw for food" signs.

Last edited by IndeterminateForm on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19