• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2004

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sorry didn't realize this was a thread for all of the Otakon Report.

These questions are about GitS 2: Innocence.

Any info on if the DVD would have a dub?

And is the original Japanese version PG-13 material or did they edit it?

Last edited by JETBLACK87 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poppycock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
they forgot to talk about the redubbing of seasons 1 and 2 of DBZ in Funimation (although the only info they gave was, it is coming in 2005.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The Opening Ceremonies report has a few mistakes on the guest names.

Correct spellings are:
Chris Patton
Luci Christian
Matt Thorn
Ching Siu-Tung
Chuck Huber
Richard Epcar
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
The Opening Ceremonies report has a few mistakes on the guest names.

Gah! That's really bad. I forgot to copy-edit that article. Thank's for pointing it out.

I'm going to go hide my head in shame now.
Pandemonium

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I can see how Mac Hall gets a link, but Little Gamers didn't for some reason...but here's the link
menator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:21 pm Reply with quote
King Records also released the music for The Mysterious Cities of Gold back in the early 80s. It isn't on your list for King Records.

http://www.themysteriouscitiesofgold.com/images/records/bgm1/bgm1_front.jpg

Regards,
Jason

administrator of www.themysteriouscitiesofgold.com[/url]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
Hmmm,

Quote:
The original Jubei-chan series is licensed by Bandai Entertainment. As such, for the Jubei-chan 2 dub, Geneon is currently considering using the original Jubei-chan voice actors. Availability of the actors and other factors will determine whether or not this happens.

I know Geneon is doing the consideration for mere consistancy, but was the VAs of Blue Water Studios good? Sorry if I sound like I'm nagging or repeating. Embarassed Embarassed
ParukeruBuraian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fullmetal Alchemist premieres on Cartoon Network this November, and the first DVD goes on sale in January, 2005. Set for a 16 DVD release, Fullmetal Alchemist will average 3-4 episodes per DVD for $24.98. FUNimation is currently looking into doing character goods, "tunes" and other products for the series, but nothing can be confirmed at this point.

Sixteen DVDs, eh? Well, if we get one every two months (which seems to be a standard rate of release), at least it will only take... 2 1/2 years to get all of them. *sigh*

Good thing I'm a huge fan of FMA, and will be compelled beyond reason to buy each and every DVD for the series. Here's hoping they become more fair with the pricing (the series is god-like, but $24.98 each for 16 releases is going to kill my wallet) and offer a nice-looking box set (or two, seeing the number of DVDs that will need to be stored).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ParukeruBuraian wrote:
Sixteen DVDs, eh? Well, if we get one every two months (which seems to be a standard rate of release), at least it will only take... 2 1/2 years to get all of them. *sigh*

If we're lucky they'll count it as one of their more popluar titles and (which it will be) and give us a new DVD every month. Even better they could do them twice a month (like Dragonball/Z/GT is or Shaman King and Yugioh will be). Really depends on how fast they can get them together.

Quote:
Good thing I'm a huge fan of FMA, and will be compelled beyond reason to buy each and every DVD for the series. Here's hoping they become more fair with the pricing (the series is god-like, but $24.98 each for 16 releases is going to kill my wallet) and offer a nice-looking box set (or two, seeing the number of DVDs that will need to be stored).

There are always cost effective alternatives to normal retail prices. I'm sure some websites (and Best Buy) will have the DVDs at around $20 or even less. I do hope they plan on doing first volume boxes, one for each season.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pyr3sayz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In time for the holiday season, Bandai will produce a limited number of value-priced collections. Each will also include some sort of accessory or bonus item. The collections will include all the episodes from the respective TV series:

Banner of the Stars I and II ($49.98 each)
Ronin Warriors TV+OVA ($149.98)
Betterman ($99.98)
Love Hina TV+OVA+Movies ($149.98)
.hack//SIGN TV (Inclusion of the omake Episodes 27; $149.98)
Geneshaft ($49.98)
Escaflowne ($99.98)
Witch Hunter Robin (Will include a "wearable accessory" from the series; $149.98)

What does 'limited number' mean? They will only produce a set number for the holiday season and after that you'll have to buy the single DVDs again? Or does 'limited' mean that only this list of animes will be produced with packaged deals?

Note: I checked and at least deepdiscountdvd.com already has WHR and BotS 1 & 2 up for preorder with release dates. I don't know if the panel released the dates or not.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
pyr3sayz wrote:
What does 'limited number' mean? They will only produce a set number for the holiday season and after that you'll have to buy the single DVDs again?

I believe it was in reference to the limited amount of time that the sets would be produced.

For instance, if you make sets for only 1 month, there'll be far fewer available than if you made sets for 3 months. These will last only until the end of the year, and I think I saw a PR saying they'll be going on sale in late October, so there's not much time for production.

But, hm... I don't think there's an artificial limitation on the sets, the more I think about it. I can see where you might be confused.

The limited number also referred to the selection of these DVD sets -- not all of Bandai's titles are being released in sets like this, only a limited number are. Again, bad wording on my part, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pyr3sayz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Yea. I don't think that I made my question as clear as I could have either. Sorry about that. I really just referring to if they would only be produced for the holiday season and after that production would be stopped. I said 'set number' because they usually don't tell the manufacturers 'produce as many as you can in a month.' They usually say 'we are paying you to make x units in this production run, we'll make another order of x units if we need them.' (I know that smaller companies work that way at least.) I usually don't buy single DVDs of series. I just wait for the sets to come out. If the sets were only for a limited time then I would probably snatch them all up (all the ones I wanted that is) as opposed to just getting a couple and waiting on the others.
Sam.:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quote
to tempest and Cookie...
hey guys, i have a small question?

Wasn't this following news released/confirmed at Otakon 04. I'll quote it:
Quote:
FUNimation announced their plans to re-master and re-release uncensored DVD versions of the first 53 DBZ episodes (Season 1 and 2), which will come out Spring/Summer of 2005... ...& The Dragonball GT movie (TV special) is due out November 16, 2004.

I guess its wan't important enough to make it on there. lol Confused
I even created a thread here when this news was released.

i don't see that bit of news on the report. Plus, there was slight bit of confusion about how Funimation was going to handle the episode numbering by fitting all 67 original Japanese eps. in 53 English eps.?? (when Pioneer/Geneon had the rights to the first 2 seasons; they cut 15 eps in total out of the first 2 season. Thats when Saban was in charge. These first 53 dubbed episodes are actually the first 67 original Japanese episodes.. but due to the edits and censorship the the English version of the series had fewer episodes(eps) than the original Japanese version).

But at the Otakon 04 Lance Heiskill (public relations guy at FUNi) said that some episodes will have several parts to it for example Ep 01a and Ep 01b. That way they can fit all 67 eps in the allotted 53 eps.

Also Kyle Hebert sheds some light on this issue. He said that there is a possibility that they might be doing boxsets of the first 2 seasons and not individual disk releases. But nothing have been officially announced about that yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyone here that attended the L'Arc~en~Ciel concert and saw the FMA episode in english? If so, how was the dub?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
Is there anyone here that attended the L'Arc~en~Ciel concert and saw the FMA episode in english? If so, how was the dub?

<sigh> I was there, and didn't think to actually pay attention to the quality of the dub. Since I don't remember anything bad about it though, I'd guess that it was probably decent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2