• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Galaxy Quest

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I knew Ghost Hound would have the same vibe as Lain and Boogiepop as the producer who worked on this show worked on that same one. I checked out episodes 1 and 2. It really didn't grab me just yet maybe because I wasn't in the mood for watching. I would check it out anyhow later. It still holds my interest as it had that mysterious and ominous atmosphere.

I've already seen the DVD's but I wasn't sure if it was sub only. Even if that was the case, I'm a guy that strictly wait for proper dub version to come out if I'm going to buy DVDs.

I should check out Tatami Galaxy as I'm already drawn into it by the art style. I actually loved Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei and I have a high hope for this one as this seems to have a lot of abstract thing going on much as Zetsubou Sensei.

Last edited by Wrathful on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Johnny, not only being the imagery of Watashi's manhood, is voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama. Thus making him the greatest character in the show.

Yeah, Tatami Galaxy's great.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hound I remember watching a couple episodes of in Korea (though it was in the original Japanese with Korean subs). It looked really interesting. I've been curious to go and start over from the beginning to get the gist of the story.

Tatami Galaxy seems to be highly praised by some here. But the statement about his penis, oh my god Anime hyper
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Tatami Galaxy is the first time that I can recall that I've really wanted a dub of the show. I found that I was either reading the dialog or else looking at the amazing art, never both simultaneously -- there was just too much to pull in. I really want to see this show, and own it, but man ... I'd really prefer a dub for this one.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Having finished watching Tatami Galaxy just a couple weeks ago, I was kind of surprised how much I like it. Not that I'm a stranger to liking "artsy" shows, but with the series' premise, the whole "repeating the same timespan with different outcomes," I felt there were so many chances for the show to get it wrong, or to wear out its welcome well in advance of the show's conclusion, but it never did. That was partially helped by the latter part of the series escalating things with the three-parter where he had the option of the three different girls, and the last two episodes were really, surprisingly introspective and fulfilling.

It looks like little else I've seen out there, and the writing is worthy of notice on its own - the kind of idiosyncratic writing you tend to hope for when you hear a novel is going to be adapted into an anime but seldom get. On the other hand, though, even though I'm an old hand at reading subtitles and can do it naturally with most any show, Tatami Galaxy had be reaching for the pause button liberally, in a way I haven't since....I think Excel Saga. Like gartholamundi, I, too, would welcome a well-handled dub for this show, simply because I could pay more attention to the visuals. Even spoken, though, I'm sure it'd be a lot of info to digest and I'd probably rewind certain segments. But as a full-series box offering, Tatami Galaxy would be a wonderful purchase.

Last edited by ittoujuu on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I see Hourglass of Summer on those shelves =O

Aside from the shoddy DVD aspect of it, it's probably one of Hirameki's best releases. It's a shame they went out of business because they were really heading in the right direction with the PC releases.
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hound is getting re-released with a dub on the 14th of next month on either DVD or Blu-ray . I believe 6 episodes of the dub are on the Anime Network online player as of now. First two of which are free to Registered users.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Masaaki Yuasa can do no wrong in my eyes. Hopefully Tatami Galaxy get released in the US, since most funi stream projects have been so far. This is a show that needs a dub badly. Is "Johnny" common slang in Japan? I remember they did the same thing in "Eden of the East"

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd love a Blu-Ray or DVD release of Tatami Galaxy. I really enjoyed the show, and found it very interesting. It would probably benefit from a dub, too. Though I read fast and could keep up, I can see where it might be difficult for others. That, and it makes it easy for one to introduce the series to others.

(And the introduction of "Johnny" was amazing Very Happy )
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll give Tatami Galaxy another whirl since I've heard so much good about it, although I doubt it's going to make me want to live in an even smaller dorm room than I already do. And I heard about Skycrawlers recently and really want to check it out, off to Netflix to see if they have it.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Is "Johnny" common slang in Japan? I remember they did the same thing "Eden of the East"

I was wondering the exact same thing. They use "johnny" so much in Eden of the East I'm beginning to wonder if it's going to be some sort of plot point.

Last edited by AnnoyedWabbit on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I was just under the impression that noitaminA was doing a shout out.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mamoru Oshii's latest is not quite as boring as Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, but it is patience-trying at times. Admittedly this is a long film that even I didn't finish in one sitting.

The extent to which I take a liking to Oshii's films is such that I unreservedly praise Innocence, even though my preference now lies with Patlabor the Movie. As for the film in question, I have no complaints to voice concerning its duration, especially not in comparison to lengthier works such as the Gundam 0079 films. (Those I did have to split into multiple sittings.)
One cannot deny that the pace of The Sky Crawlers is very mellow, and that many of its scenes employ inaction as a substitute for action. I was fully prepared to see such directorial characteristics manifest however, and I quite relished my viewing experience. The most earnest complaint I can raise is the dullness with which the setting appears when contrasted with that of Ghost in the Shell, although one can certainly appreciate why such an unstimulating environment was selected for this film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked Sky Crawlers, found it rather interesting. It is very carefully structured film, building towards the reveals like the kildern, and "War, incorporated" with its designated combat zones, targets and allowed technology level. And then there's the complete disconnect between the pilots' normal lives and the public "ace pilot" face they put forward, with the fake smiles for tourists and how they switch to english in cockpit (their every flight is probably broadcast live or at least recorded). And of course the reason behind many kilderns' suicidal tendencies.

However I think I'd need to watch it again to form a firm opinion on it. I have a feeling ti will look different on a second go.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Is "Johnny" common slang in Japan? I remember they did the same thing in "Eden of the East"

From what I remember reading, one of the people in charge of Eden of the East really likes the author of Yojouhan (Morimi Tomihiko) that they incorporated a few homages to that author. Such possible homages being "Johnny" and the main female character's surname being Morimi among others.

Not sure if there's any truth to it or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3