• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Lagoon, Hellsing Creators Discuss Illegal Uploads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

I feel insulted by this statement, I borrow Bleach manga from the library all the time, does that make me a moocher? No, because someone still paid for that copy, so the author still received money from a sale of his book. If this statement were true, there would be a lot of anime and manga moochers who borrow from their friends, the library Nettflix, etc. I also review Bleach and earn money from reviews, which I use to buy Bleach anime, am I a moocher fan of Bleach or any other manga I borrow from the library, NO.

Realistically, public libraries exist in a separate reality from this debate. Their purpose is to promote literacy & to be there for people who are too poor to own books. They're more an education tool so you don't have to get all worked up about it. Most everyone I know who CAN afford the books buy them because it's such a hassle dealing with the wait lists for popular titles or the fines for not returning on time
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think those comments that the mangaka made were tasteless and crude. The family survivors of pancreatic cancer patients should give them a little talk about the impact of death on them and the course of the cancer on the affected relative so they should know what they are wishing on copyright infringers.

I know it's their right to speak out but sometimes counting to ten before typing is better.

Not around these parts. Those types of comments allow the more righteous than thou to be on topic while on a soapbox.
Even though the topic of the article is about several authors wishing horrible diseases on ONE person. The topic of discussion has still turned into the same generic finger wagging session at fansubbers,scanalators,pirates,illegal streams, and mangacows present in every other thread.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

I know it's their right to speak out but sometimes counting to ten before typing is better.

Whether they were right or wrong, it's not like you can tell people how and what to feel.

ArsenicSteel wrote:

Even though the topic of the article is about several authors wishing horrible diseases on ONE person. The topic of discussion has still turned into the same generic finger wagging session at fansubbers,scanalators,pirates,illegal streams, and mangacows present in every other thread.
These are the sources of the mangakas rage and frustrations. It's the reason as to why the mangakas uttered such crude statements in the first place.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
shawnji_us wrote:
Really, I just find it all so bizarre why there's so much hate directed at these people. Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's so upsetting to many, but everyone here seems so vindictive about it. I get that they did a stupid thing, but what a reaction everyone has to it.

You can understand why people are upset, but you wonder WHY they're showing their ire?

shawnji_us wrote:
I've invested thousands of dollars on anime VHS tapes, DVDs, Laserdiscs, and merchandise; into properties that I was otherwise completely unaware of prior to downloading them. Does that justify it? Absolutely not. I simply want to illustrate my position more clearly so you understand better where I stand before I go off trying to make any attempt at a point.

I've been living in Japan for the last year and a half now with my wife and anything we watch or read is obtained completely legally. I've been "clean", as you might call it, for years now. BUT, I would argue that I am contributing less to the industry now than I ever was previously. When I do read manga, it's usually at a Book-Off somewhere along with thousands of other people all over the country. If I want to sample a series, I go to the local Tsutaya and rent a DVD for 100 yen. Why not rent it on the Playstation Network at home and contribute more directly to the companies involved? It's 400 yen for a single episode and I'm cheap. Simple explanation, right? Point being, that there are plenty of other (legal) ways to subvert the industry.

The legal options support the system. I mean, hells bells, dude, I bought so many metal cds & lps back in the 80's. Then I had a baby & other things became a priority in my life. I still listen to the metal radio station.
shawnji_us wrote:
Youtube, naturally. I inadvertently stumbled onto it when I was looking for something else and after watching just a bit, I was hooked. The episode I watched had been uploaded illegally, I found, and was removed soon after.

God, I hate YouTube.
Anyway, there are any number of ways you might have discovered that title. If your first beer had been one stolen from 7-11 by a friend & you've bought every beer you've consumed since legally, it still doesn't make your friends stealing that beer back when ok.

shawnji_us wrote:
I bought all of Hirano's Hellsing that was available back when I was an exchange student in 2003. Funny that had it not been for a friend showing me a fansub back before I left (I bought all of Geneon's original DVD release as well shortly after), I would have known nothing about it.

I pre-ordered the box plus dvd before it was released in July 2002. I remember because it arrived the day before Comic-con started so I was too busy to watch it for 4 days. I was thrilled when Dark Horse announced the manga & have bought that one from the first volume-
which came out Christmas 2003.
So obviously just from the also available previews I figured out it was worth the $25 or $35 they wanted for the set. I remember driving all over town for the 2nd dvd in Sept. 2002
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think those comments that the mangaka made were tasteless and crude. The family survivors of pancreatic cancer patients should give them a little talk about the impact of death on them and the course of the cancer on the affected relative so they should know what they are wishing on copyright infringers.

In this very thread, multiple people with family members that have died of cancer, including pancreatic cancer (I'm one of those people), have already stated that these comments are not offensive to them. Much of comedy depends on unpleasant things happening to others. Should jokes only be limited to things that cannot possibly offend anyone? To quote Mel Brooks, "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." Cue the outrage of the families of people who walked into open sewers and died.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
The topic of discussion has still turned into the same generic finger wagging session at fansubbers,scanalators,pirates,illegal streams, and mangacows present in every other thread.

Unlike the highly nuanced and well though out arguments of the "Me, me, me, gimme, gimme, gimme!" variety that are so sorely under-represented online.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
So basically you're trying to say is that the people are wrong for liking an unpopular series? Let alone the fact that most publishers don't even announce it's cancellation and just stop publishing it, same thing happen to Zatch Bell, and yet you want to condemn people from using scanlations by fans who are just picking up the slack that the publisher failed to do?
Could you please pick an example that was actually unpopular and doesn't have an unusual and weird licensing issue? And Viz has never been good at PR to begin with...
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
"Telling people to die for daring to steal their works."

Serious Business. Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think those comments that the mangaka made were tasteless and crude.

... and quite expressive. Don't forget the clarity with which they made their feelings known.

Again, its the creators of Black Lagoon and Hellsing we are talking about here. If they were afraid of putting anything in front of the public that was anything but elegant and refined ... uh, that would lead readers of Black Lagoon and Hellsing up a creek without a manga.

The author of Black Butler phrased it much more prettily, and people still abused her for it in these forums.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
"Telling people to die for daring to steal their works."

Serious Business. Wink

Yep.
War were declared.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Well, I will say that Hiroe and Hirano at least had FUN with their criticism. Also, it was totally badass that Hiroe did a special illustration in the gallery of Blazblue: Continuum Shift

I was just debating if I was going to get that game today. That's one more reason.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I reckon I'm a bit tired of this here piracy discussion, especially since we just ran in these exact same circles like a couple days before this one.

Countdown to locked...
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Agila, if you believe the statement's I make are false it's better to say it's false than to say I'm lying, which is totally different in meaning and implies that you have a full understanding of my position and that you know exactly what I know.

It seems like you are still interpreting what I'm saying to mean all fansubbers buy what they previously watch, etc. I'm not saying that. Quite the contrary, I told you that many people do not buy everything they previously watched.

I also acknowledge that many people don't buy anything they watch (though I say most of those in this category don't have money to do so as I don't believe most are in this category because they are callous haters, and if they were then you already can't win them over to your side anyway).

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Reading through this i find some posters comments rather amusing, I mean Illegal is illegal & wrong is wrong, certain users can try to justify it anyway they want

That's ok, but I think you are misrepresenting the position many people hold. I for one don't believe I'm justifying anything. I don't believe in IP. I don't think there is a right to profit. The purpose of property is the division of scarce resources. IP is not about division of scarce resources but about protection of a right to profit. I understand the reasoning behind it, and I know why people want it.

I agree with the general sentiment that those who work on something people like should have a way of marketing and selling a product that allows them to earn a living.

However, I don't believe it's necessary to have IP to allow for this at all, and sustaining current distribution models is way down on my list of priorities compared to liberty. The invasion of privacy and demands upon use or non-use of individuals physical property required for IP to exist are far too extreme for me to find them consistent with maximum freedom.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
IP? do you mean Intulectual Property? So just becasuse you don't belive in that you think its OK to Pirate copy righted material? Good lord people these days are just....well GOOD LORD. Laughing

Copyright & Intellectual property do exist, they are there for a reason....Xanas...you sound like a smart man..but you also sound like a loon. Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Yeah, and Sarah Silvermann can't joke about the Holocaust.

Silverman is just plain a no-talent hack period, only (CENSORED SEXUAL ACTS) in order to at least appear to be semi-famous. No need to bring her unfunny attempts at being humorous to the mix.

sykoeent wrote:
Xanas wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I am pretty sure the guy who just uploaded all of Black Lagoon doesn't buy Black Lagoon. The people who actually buy things and pirate, only pirate the new stuff that isn't available where they live.

Your statement is based on what evidence? I can tell you that this isn't true at all for me personally, so there is at least one anecdote that what you say isn't true. I've also ran some polls on pirate forums in the past, and it wasn't true for many of those who responded there either.

So, you're saying you're one of these "pirateers"? How convenient.

Oh look, Irony!! Pirates pirating a manga series about Pirates!! What are the odds?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Agila, if you believe the statement's I make are false it's better to say it's false than to say I'm lying, which is totally different in meaning and implies that you have a full understanding of my position and that you know exactly what I know.

OK, sorry, you said something false and, as you later revealed, you knew perfectly well that you only knew for sure it was true for you, and had no idea whether or not it was true in general.

Course, that's a mouthful. Bluffing about something being true when you have no basis for knowing is something I'll normally call a "lie" for short.

Quote:
It seems like you are still interpreting what I'm saying to mean all fansubbers buy what they previously watch, etc. I'm not saying that. Quite the contrary, I told you that many people do not buy everything they previously watched.

Nope, not making any such claims.

The buying the shit, that's good. The fansubbing in this environment, when its all going to go up on a large number of leech streaming sites, bringing more people in to watch the collection of fansubs, streaming rips and DVD rips on the leech streaming sites, that's bad.

As far as I am aware, if only fansubbers and scanlators could be persuaded to stop making and distributing bootlegs to be copied without permission thousands or millions of times, they are otherwise supporting fans who buy shit and support the industry.

At the risk of soapboxing, with that in mind, I strongly support Crunchyroll's efforts to get the right to do their own subs and accept member contributed subs, and strongly support OpenManga's experiment with legit fan translations of manga.

Quote:
I also acknowledge that many people don't buy anything they watch (though I say most of those in this category don't have money to do so as I don't believe most are in this category because they are callous haters, and if they were then you already can't win them over to your side anyway).

(1) Innocent and only doing it because they are poor
(2) Callous Haters

... millions of people rarely fall into two nice neat extreme groups. There's also (3) Don't Know (4) Don't Care as long as they get their entertainment (5) Conned by the BS peddled by piracy defenders ...

Really, the statements by the two creators only help for "(3) Don't Know" and "(5) Conned by the BS peddled by piracy defenders".

But no single tweet on twitter is going to be all things to all people.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19