• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon, His Wife, Madhouse Studio Write About His Passing

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikuru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Pancreatic cancer is considered the worst of all cancers because it has the lowest survival rate. So, he was up against a lot. I'm glad his wife appreciates everyone's support. It would be nice if they could have a public memorial service too.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
This thread is a troll-free zone.
NatWu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon was a genius! Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Paranoia Agent; these are works of art. Very few anime stand on a level with any of those. He will be sorely missed. I hope his latest work gets completed and gets brought over to America as soon as possible.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
so, we all feel he left too soon, hopefully he didn't feel he stayed too long. It's an implacable foe. all that is to be done now, is wish for comfort to his wife, and his friends, and to celebrate his life and work.

makes me realize at that same age, what I've done is rubbish, in many ways.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
I just hope he didn't suffer very long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
With the revelation that it was pancreatic cancer, that would make it more likely that no one, including Satoshi Kon himself, really knew about it until the last moment. That kind can just pop up without much warning and kill quite rapidly. Again, quite sad that he's gone.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Until reading this, I assumed it was some crazy heart-attack. Man... did anyone else know about him having pancreatic cancer? How long ago might it have been diagnosed?

Anyway... this is probably the closest I've ever felt to crying over anyone famous in quite a while... and a couple weeks before his 47th birthday! (actually, my eyes are starting to tear up a little bit right now). Did he even have any kids to speak of? Man... he was a director that I avidly paid attention to, together with Makoto Shinkai and Miyazaki. Being a bookish kind of guy (especially with psychological literature-- thank you, Dostoevsky!), I've always been fascinated with all the works of his I've seen (the first of which was Tokyo Godfathers). The only works of his that I haven't seen in their entirety have been Millennium Actress and Paranoia Agent. Really hope to get a hold of them now, and hope that someone will somehow be able to pick up from where he left off on The Dream Machine, especially if it was due for release next year.

Rest in peace, good sir... You shall be missed. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
Reading these two statements just turned my shock into tears. I'm trying not to break down sobbing. Certain creative individuals produce works that can touch you deeply and form connections with your mind and heart. Kon was one of those creative individuals for me. I felt like I got to know a part of him and how he responded to the world he lived in. Millennium Actress is one of my most favorite movies ever. It is one of the most emotionally challenging and moving works that I've ever experienced. I still remember watching it on the little art house cinema screen in my town. Right now I can hear the music as Chiyoko trudges through the snow to find her painter, and I can see her also in her spaceship, ready to continue pursuing that which made life so worthwhile to her. I hope in some way that Kon is able to continue his own creative pursuit.

"Every single thing
Changes and is changing
Always in this world.
Yet with the same light
The moon goes on shining."

--Priest Saigyo

Keep on running through dreams and time, Mr. Kon.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
I swear, if they hadn't said "funeral service will be held for family members only", I would've attended. At this point I'm not really sure how to cope with the loss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Gawd, I think I saw his wife at the AFI screening of Millennium Actress and possibly the BAAF screening of Tokyo Godfathers, and they looked like a happy couple. F**k cancer. I'm surprised she's taking charge like she is, though, when, by all rights, she should be giving herself time to grieve. And I also have to add do they least have any children? I really hate the idea of seeing this legacy end there. Crying or Very sad And can ANN find out if there's any way to donate for the funeral services or something? I really feel like I owe something to the family after Kyoko-san went to the trouble of addressing us fans in her time of mourning.

Sailor: Oh, didn't know that.

Animerican: I assumed heat stroke myself.

Dan: I doubt you'd have time. They seemed to have been brisk about it. I don't think I could handle it, even if I did have time and money.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Sad

When Miyazaki eventually dies, it will at least be a case where the guy had a full career. With someone like Satoshi Kon there'll always be a question mark over what he could have done if he had lived longer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Great shock and sadness was I feeling when I was informed of this by a work coleague no less. It has numbed me to the core. I remember seeing him on NHK World guesting a program looking at new and up-coming animation talent and rating their work. He was also a professor at one of Tokyo's universities of graphic arts, so he was well involved with actively helping to secure anime and manga's future with fresh talent. Yet another supporting pillar of Japanese animation has collapsed. Only time will tell if it will still stand the calamity of these ressessionary times without him. May God's Perpetual Light shine upon him, may he rest in peace, and may his surviving friends and family find strength to endure the pain and grief of his passing. We, who knew and loved his work, are with you in our prayers. Crying or Very sad
toru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon's official website uploaded his last message to everyone.
Title "Goodbye"
http://gigazine.jp/img/2010/08/25/satoshi_kon_passed_away/kon_blog_last.png
He reveals, he and his wife were told in the hospital on May 18, that he is terminal pancreatic cancer and metastasis to the bone.
He says, "It is sudden and unreasonable fate that is not taken only by our arm" and "The regret is The Dreaming Machine".
But he says, "Satoshi Kon was a lucky begger very much as an animation director."

Satoshi Kon's last tweet was 5:40 am Aug 23.
http://twitter.com/konsatoshi

He said on Aug 20:
"I saw some rush films of The Dreaming Machine. Robin and Lilico are cute."
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm hoping that someone jumps in and translates that soon...

Interestingly, it seems like he was working on the project up to the very end.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
toru: I kind of guessed they had to know in advance, because there was a significant period of time where that blog did not get updated. Plus, he said he shaved his head, and talked about being "reborn". I think someone told me when they had a similar scene in Princess Mononoke that it signifies leaving the living world in Japanese culture. But of course I didn't make that connection in this situation...So I'm actually surprised he kept up the charade this long, though, and very touched. That project must have meant the world to him. And he only joined Twitter recently, too. He must have really wanted to connect with his fans one last time. Truly a self-less and dedicated individual. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11