• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 3 Favorite Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otaku-1985

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
battle royale- just awesome so touching, sad, creepy, sexy, loving, exiting Manga and i haven't read it all yet as i type I'm on issue 12, 3 more to go

FLCL- crazy over the top, awesome coming of age story ''Ukulele no good!''

cowboy bebop- the one of the first Manga's i ever bout and stile love it, these words will stay in my heart and mind forever '' see you space cowboy''
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
My top favorites tend to change rather frequently, but these are my current top three.

1) 07-Ghost - To be honest when I first started reading this series I was a bit iffy on if I was going to like it or not and as you can probably see, since this is a list of favorite manga, I did end up enjoying it a lot. I've become very fond of all the characters and the story really keeps me interested. I also really like how the relationships between the characters develop and workout. I never feel bogged down by the overuse of dialogue or action, it's always a good balance.

2) +C Sword and Cornett - To be honest I have just recently started reading this one, but so far I love the twists and turns it has been giving to me. I also really love the man character and how it spoiler[ has him not only trying to figure out the secrets behind his brothers death and why his other brother would work with the killer], but also how the main character develops as a person.

3) Alice in the Country of Hearts - There isn't much to set this manga apart from any other reverse harem, but I find it to be a very charming series. I like the not only the character designs, but the characters themselves (especially Ace) and I actually like Alice.
_________

Honorable Mentions:

AfterSchool Charisma - This one will most likely make it to my top three eventually, but I have to read more of it first. As of right now I'm really liking it. I mean who couldn't like reading about the high school aged clones of famous people throughout history?

Axis Powers Hetalia - Wish I could list it in my top three, but then that would make it top four ;P

D.Gray-Man

Karneval

One Piece

Natsume's Book of Friends

Full Moon Wo Sagashite - I was slightly freaked out by the ending of this one.

Pandora Hearts

Paradox Blue

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Cyborg 009 - For a series I thought I would hate with a passion it's actually very good.

Ones that would probably be at the top of the list if I could find some place where I could actually finish reading them!:

E'S - Because physics are awesome!

Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok - I love Norse mythology.

Last edited by kimbeey13 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pomocho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Only three? Jeez, guys, that's totally unfair.

1. Phoenix - Osamu Tezuka's magnum opus stands as one of the greatest achievements of sequential art. It's a transcendent, experimental, philosophical, and absolutely gorgeous... a monumental achievement that demands multiple readings.

2. The Rose of Versailles - Riyoko Ikeda's gender-bending historical epic remains the benchmark to which all other shoujo series aspire.

3. Devilman - And now for something completely different. Go Nagai's bugspit crazy splatter horror/superhero hybrid is nightmare fuel unleaded... and it's absolutely stupendous.

Honorable Mentions: Monster, Banana Fish, The Drifting Classroom, Song of the Wind and Trees, Ode to Kirihito, Black Jack, Red Colored Elegy, The Pushman and Other Stories, A' A', Galaxy Express 999, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Maison Ikkoku
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
1. Fullmetal Alchemist - This series is absolutely stunning. Many people are turned off because of how popular it is, but it`s popular for a reason. It has some of the most developed characters in manga, and the plot is very closely knit. Events that take place in the first chapter are still relevant a hundred chapters later. Arakawa is an amazing storyteller, period.

2. D.Gray-man - Has its faults, but it has some very strong characters that really drive the plot. When Hoshino is at her best, this series is on fire. For example, volumes 9 - 14 really accelerated the plot, and they were full of non-stop action all the way through. After that the series hit a bit of a lull, but Volumes 19 and onwards once again restores the series to its former greatness.

I really like the art. It`s pretty surreal, but still very realistic. Hoshino tends to experiment with her art a bit, so some characters look like completely different people if you go from the first volume to the twentieth volume, but the artwork itself is still excellent all the way through.

3. Pandora Hearts - One of the most underrated series out there. I think it`s because it looks like shonen-ai, but it`s actually shonen despite all of the bishonen.

It`s another series with a tightly knit plot and a wonderful cast of characters. It`s perfectly paced, taking its time to introduce the key players in the first volume, but it relentlessly throws shocking information at you when you least expect it. Four volumes in, and you get information that a regular series would give you after twenty. Pandora Hearts is a good series for those who love dark fantasy, Victorian Europe, fast-moving plots, a little bit of comedy, and likeable characters.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see someone who likes Pandora Hearts, it's my favourite shonen manga and the only shonen that I follow right now. Taking into consideration that I prefer josei, shoujo and seinen, I never thought that I would enjoy it it so much. The previous shonen manga I have read, Tsubasa Chronicle, was ultimately a huge disappointment, after this I didn't feel like reading or watching shonen series, however I kept hearing that Pandora Hearts has a good plot, so I decide to give it a try, but my expectations were not high. So, of course, Pandora Hearts easily exceeded them. The main character, Oz, turned out to be smarter than your average shonen lead and fairly likeable, the remaining characters are developed quite well and sometimes can surprise. It never crossed my mind that Ada has such “innocent” and “girlish” hobbies. I love how she totally caught Vincent off guard and crept him out. The plot isn't dragged out and overshadowed by constant battles like in many shonens. The author definitely knows how to create a proper mystery, making it hard to figure out what is going on without turning the whole series into incomprehensible mess. I certainly like that one can have additional fun by coming up with theories of what exactly happened in Sabrie or who is the head-hunter etc.

Jaymie wrote:

3. Pandora Hearts - One of the most underrated series out there. I think it`s because it looks like shonen-ai, but it`s actually shonen despite all of the bishonen.

I think the problem is the whole servant-master thing, many people probably get a wrong idea that it's shonen-ai because of that.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Berserk - This is a guilty pleasure for me. Especially when I'm in a foul mood, I have to read this. It's violent and gory, it's bloody satisfying. One thing I love about this manga is everything goes there for a reason. The author could've easily made it into a gratuious and confusing mess of story when it is as long as it is, it's quite consistent for me. I quite like Guts' new travelling companions. It's been a long ago since the last time I read but I liked it enough to stick with it for long time. Easily the first.

Fruits Basket - This manga has to be everything Berserk isn't. There are some serious moments but they're handled in more subtle manner. Half of manga consists of cute and fluffy stuff and the way the characters are designed, I'm sort of uncomfortable reading through it. Still at some point, I've been obsessed with this manga. Sure, people will complain about how this main character Tohru is unrealistic but this is exactly why mangas and animes exist as an escape from reality where most girls I met are ... Anyways, reading it makes me feel warm.

GTO - I watched the anime first and was very disappointed with how they handled the ending, I decided to read the manga to get some closure. Needless to say, this one ends much, much better but it's lot longer than I expected. You meet more interesting characters and see more relationship develop between Onizuka and his students. I cried at the ending because it was really touching to me.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
As of now, my top 3 manga would be:

Pet Shop of Horrors by Matsuri Akino: This is the first manga series I ever read and still is one of the best, a great horror manga with fine artwork. I originally picked it up after seeing the anime and wanting more, and I was not disappointed. Unfortunately, this series is now pretty much out of print as far as I know.

Hell Baby by Hideshi Hino: I've read several terrific horror manga by this author and this is the one I would pick as the best. Although it's pretty gruesome, it actually has a rather touching ending. This, sadly, is also out of print (as is most if not all Hino's work).

The Ice Wanderer and Other Stories by Jiro Taniguchi: I picked this up at a bookstore mainly because it looked like something different than the usual manga, also because the artwork is just incredible. This is a collection of short stories mostly set in the great outdoors (one is an adaptation of a chapter of Jack London's novel White Fang) each of which is outstanding.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
Shadow Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
My favorite anything changes constantly but off the top of my head:

Hayate the Combat Butler

More then anything else, this series is completely in line with my own preference for dry, snarky, sometimes subtle humor. The characters are all fun, and the series has a unique pacing and feel to it that the anime just hasn't been able to capture--it manages to strike a halfway point between randomness and continuity where events and subplots develop and flow naturally into each other so that readers are rewarded for remembering earlier events but not completely lost if they don't.

(It's also on an extremely strict timeline that has me picturing the author painstakingly marking off days on an in-story calender. Not a selling point, per say, but something you don't see often in serials.)

Rurouni Kenshin Undoubtedly mentioned dozens of times in this thread already, and for good reason. A true classic, with great art, a compelling storyline, and best of all, it doesn't overstay it's welcome for a minute.

Ranma 1/2 It's full of flaws, and I could think of any number of better series, but this is the manga that really got me into manga at a time when I mostly couldn't be bothered. It makes no sense, continuity is almost non-existent, and I swear 5 years passed in story without anyone aging a day, but for sheer energy and fun, it's still hard to beat.

Edit. Posting before reading the entire thread is a bad idea. How could I forget Maison Ikkoku? or Fullmetal Alchemist? Well, I've listed my three so I'll leave it at that, or else I'll be at this all day...
liubei013

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a heavy manga reader, so it's not like I have much to 'choose' from as favorites... ^^;

1. Hellsing - Over-the-top. That pretty much summarizes this ten volume series with vampires, undead [Nazis], the Vatican and everything in-between.

2. Blade of the Immortal - great artwork, fight scenes, and unique characters (on both 'good' and 'bad' sides) as well as growth was probably my first 'favorite' manga.

3. Black Lagoon - Soundmonkey44 pretty much summarized this up well
Quote:
A great Seinen Action series, Every Volume is Like Reading an Action Movie
Hive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
1. Naruto - Yes i'm kind of ashamed since I consider myself "out of the Naruto stage of being an anime/manga fan", but this manga is actually really good. I guess it's because when you've read up to vol.8, you've basically already seen 50 episodes of the anime.

2. Love Hina - How is this different than the anime? Simple. Keitaro actually stands up for himself from time to time. Plus there's extra, actually interesting, stuff in the manga that was shoved out of the anime.

3. Mahoromatic - Usually I hate ecchi/fanservice. So why is this one of my favorite mangas? To tell you the truth, there's something about it that intrigues me. Something about it that makes me want to keep reading and not look back.

Honorable Mentions are FMA and One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tachibana Hirou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
#1 Kaichou wa Maid-sama - As a Otaku knowing anime, manga, games and j-drama. To me the story in Ayuzawa Misaki story went interesting unlike in anime series version. There is still a mystery about Usui Takumi's hidden secret. Just like a romance there somehow I love Misaki of her tsundere side.

# 2 Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - Aside from it, the story of Lelouch have connections in anime in different particular way, plus something interested on those scenarios and sequel like Lelouch have evil Twin. Geass is the best for me.

#3 Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's - I'm currently reading at the moment of volume 4. Story of about Yusei is more than the meet the eye in my opinion. Unlike Yuugi and Judai, our main character in 5D's Fudo Yuusei have hidden about himself, not like Judai who reveal as Haou or Yuugi's dark side was originally the Pharoah Atem. Yusei is filled with mystery.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
1. Hellsing is truly unforgettable, its the one series I can read more than 20 times and still think Alucard is cool.

2. MPD Psycho big fan of this series. I only got two volumes, but I know this series will never let me down, since I like gory detective body dismemberment manga. And It is also a guilty pleasure when reading this manga at school.

3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure one of my favorite long-running series. Each part stands out on its own, it has great cast of characters. And I love the style of art JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is drawn in (even though it changes through times). Look forward on buying the rest of the series on print.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13