• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Video: Live-Action Blitzball at Manifest 2010

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
What was the point of this? Two cosplayers playing with a beach ball is front page news on ANN now?

This is nothing like the actual Blitzball in the game... I was at least expecting teams and some kind of team handball game to be going on...
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they're just playing Volley Ball to me. That didn't resemble Blitzball in any shape or form.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I racked up a lot of playtime in FFX because of blitzball. I was way too into that game.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Ack! My eyes! Took a bit for them to adjust back... I know I've seen in stores the double screen thing, advertised as "3D" (yet, didn't work with the glasses provided....) since it looked so different from the fuzzy look/vibrating layered look. I didn't realize this would work to see it if you look at it like those optical illusions... but I guess it's taken from that.

...either than that 3D ramble, nothing amazing here :/
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
Would've been more epic if their were other FFX cosplayers doing this. Instead, we got two chavs bouncing around a $2 ball one can get at the local Wal-Mart.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
kinda funny how this was an interest news item, yet failed to be interesting on any level.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
I've seen some...controversial interest pieces on ANN before.

But I have to say, personally, this is about the dumbest one yet. :/ Seriously. What the hell. This is just some dudes tossing around a ball while cosplaying. Riveting!

Maybe if they are like...in a pool or something, like the way it's meant to be played underwater, I could see it as something pretty cool...
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
As others have said, this doesn't resemble Blitzball at all.

But I see what's going on here. Somebody wanted an excuse to post a video with the Chocobo theme song in it.

I understand.

I thought Blitzball was a terrible game to play, though. Always hated the section where you were forced to play it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

I thought Blitzball was a terrible game to play, though. Always hated the section where you were forced to play it.

Lol, you know you can like...just not do anything and lose the game? And make a sammich in the process. Just let your cat or something randomly push buttons to advance it.

Doesn't affect the story.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
I realized that afterwards. Didn't know that the first time through and it's obvious to see in retrospect that the cards are stacked against you anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Blitzball so much. Once I understood it, I kept on going for the top and getting everything and good players as I can. Expected too much from the video, but not too mad.
ianiceboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
I was at Manifest 2010, and I loved these cosplayers. Their blitzball was not cheaply made or bought; it looked pretty authentic to me.
Here's a photo, sans blitzball: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianiceboy/4913153226/

Not sure what purpose that video served, though...
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Yeah, I agree, at least initially. I wish you'd get the special items even if you lost the first big game. That was way too soon for the game to expect a win out of you.

Once you start playing later on for Wakka's celestial weapon though the game starts to grow on you.

As for the cosplay, I think they look pretty cool. I was expecting teams though - that would have been considerably more exciting.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Sphere Break in FFX-2 was even worse.
ZeroAE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
ianiceboy wrote:
I was at Manifest 2010, and I loved these cosplayers. Their blitzball was not cheaply made or bought; it looked pretty authentic to me.
Here's a photo, sans blitzball: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianiceboy/4913153226/

Not sure what purpose that video served, though...

That guy who is Tidus ALWAYS COSPLAYS AS TIDUS.... That or Dante from DMC.

its been 3 years since i've be to a Con in his part of Australia.. and BOTH TIMES I'VE SEEN HIM AS TIDUS... shouldn't there be a point in a cosplayer's career when, you move onto bigger and better things?

lol

also.. the blitzball is just a normal white ball with blue tape around it.
not expensive at all to make.. just probably time consuming.

also they suck at "blitzball"

/rage
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1