• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Farewell Satoshi Kon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he created a short manga called Toriko

No relation to that SJ manga from Viz.

Quote:
It was through Young that Kon met the man who'd give him his start in anime: Akira creator Katsuhiro Otomo.

I actually noticed Kon credited with some of the art in the Marvel editions of Akira.

Quote:
Roujin Z was smaller in scale and more humorous in tone than Akira, much to the ire of anime fans who bought it expecting Akira 2.

It's Akira if it was made into a comedy, rather than an action sci-fi.

Quote:
Kon's next big anime job came in 1992 with the film Hashire, Melos!, often known as the comma-free Run Melos!.

Anipages just posted an in-depth review of it, for those interested.

Quote:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure showed off Kon's abilities in 1993, as he scripted and co-produced the fifth episode of the OVA series based on Hirohiko Araki's flamboyant fighting manga.

Kon claimed to have an LD of that ep, but no one @ STA I contacted even knew about Jojo being on LD.

Quote:
It's a strange match, as Kon admitted in interviews that, as a kid, he was never fond of the overblown shonen fisticuffs that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure frequently embodies.

Yeah, he's a little more of an old-school "rocket jet-pack" anime fan.

Quote:
Easily the highlight of Memories and perhaps Otomo's career,

From what I heard, it did better in Japan than the original GITS movie.

Quote:
Super Techno Arts managed to put out six volumes of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OAV in the U.S. before collapsing.

That's actually all of the OVA series. The recent one is a movie, if I recall.

But yeah, when I saw a test reel of Magnetic Rose at the Shrine, I knew I had to see the rest of that anthology. It's just a shame it took nearly a decade for us to get it. I do kind of also wish it got re-released with a dub, so it'd be more accessible.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I remember both that Memories anthology and Tokyo Godfathers being at a local video store back home, I'll have to swing by there sometime to see if they still have them and check them out.

And a great start to the Kon remembrance, I'm getting my anime club to watch either Paprika or Millennium Actress this week so I love the timing of this.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I sure would love to add Toriko, Kaikisen, World Apartment, and Run Melos! to my collection. Cool name for the article btw. Very nice work, Thank you!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That was very imformative, especially considering that we haven't even gotten to the anime his directed. I can't wait for the rest, even if I only seen Paranoia Agent.
Modandrocker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Very cool piece. Can't wait for the upcoming articles. This is such a great way to remember Satoshi Kon. He will be missed.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Great article. I might see if it's possible to track any of these things down.

Magnetic Rose/Memories is probably the only pre-Perfect Blue thing of his I've seen. My sister and brother in-law got it for me last Christmas, from Big Lots. lol
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Magnetic Rose can stand next to Satoshi Kon's best work on its own and as a sign of what he'd accomplish in the years to come.

Meh. I was one of those people who response was "Meh" when I saw it. Saw it recently too.

Which was better than my response from Perfect Blue.

Also I have read Kaikisen myself. That was good. A very good artist - too bad his manga works haven't been released here.

Still I can't wait for the rest of this release. While I'm not a fan of his earlier works - I love his later ones to death.

Thanks for putting this together.
HiroNotHero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
Nice article. I will be reading the rest of these.
Peroxid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Very good article, very informative, although I feel it should be mentioned that Kon was Otomo's Assistant during Akira.

Just one question, what exactly was Kon's role in Hashire Melos?
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Peroxid wrote:
He was credited with "key animation" in the credits, but that turns out he only did the layouts (per here and here). In other words, the task that's on his ANN profile, "Art", is accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
Great article waiting to read more. Man, Kon was working big time with the "heavies". I'd heard of 'Run Melos'. I saw that in a old anime periodical. I was curious to one day see it. I may have to go back to checking out 'Memories'. It be nice if they released some of his manga work. I heard of that book but was surprised it was never released.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
I would love to see his manga works...I will echo others in saying "Great article" and "I can't wait to read more". I remember seeing Memories a few months ago at my local shop. Now, I gotta see if it's still there...
Peroxid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Peroxid wrote:
He was credited with "key animation" in the credits, but that turns out he only did the layouts (per here and here). In other words, the task that's on his ANN profile, "Art", is accurate.

Thanks for the information, although I really enjoyed the art from that movie, taking into account it's almost 20 years old, I would never guess that it's by Kon. Still I found that Hashire Melos had a strange resemblance to Akira's art, which makes sense, since Kon was an assistant and admirer of Otomo.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Somebody needs to bring Kon's manga out in English. Where's Ed Chavez when you need him?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I just want to thank ANN for doing this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3