• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases, September 5-11

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Damn! The prices for the anime are just ridiculous!!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Anime is invariably cheaper at online stores, and by a substantial margin.

Wasn't this a regular feature a few years ago, or is my memory tricking me? Either way, it would be cool to see it again.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes indeed, please note the column header "SRP", or Suggested Retail Price. And like Big Hed said, a savvy shopper should be able to beat those prices by a good percentage from an internet retailer of your choice. But I really wanted to say that I like seeing this listing here as well. It's nice to have a reminder on the week they are supposed to ship.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
No, they are not.

Last edited by varmintx on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It'd probably be a better idea to do what Braves and NJ do in the retail forum and post the upcoming month slates instead of current week slates. That way people know months ahead of time and can mark it down on their calendars. Of course, Manga companies don't do this, so it's nice knowing what manga are coming out.

Speaking of which, when is the first volume of High School of the Dead being released?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Speaking of which, when is the first volume of High School of the Dead being released?

Don't think there have been any announcements about the DVD release yet. Definitely one I am eager to buy though, as the show is consistently... delightful? I don't know, but just lots of fun. Razz
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
If anime related games are a part of the releases, why not mention which gaming platform the game is on.

For example, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is in the line up this week and its for the PSP.

As for the anime price part of the discussion, the only places I've seen anime at MSRP is Suncoast(when they were around) and FYE.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice. This is quite a helpful list, Anime hyper. Sadly, there isn't anything I'm interested in getting... Crying or Very sad
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Yes, $15 for a boxset of anime is ridiculous! (That's the Coyote Ragtime Show pricing at Amazon).

Even more ridiculous, $8.49 for a boxset ... at that price you have to buy three to qualify for Amazon free shipping.

Indeed, I find the whole S.A.V.E. line pricing ridiculous.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

The manga? Looks like it's currently scheduled for next January.

I really like this idea! I keep my own release-calendar for manga I follow, but it's nice to see everything all in one spot!! (and most people probably aren't as obsessive about checking Amazon every couple weeks to get the latest update on release listings).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I was always hoping for a feature like this to pop up! I follow game release dates easy, but for anime/manga, haven't really seen a site that does it (and this IS my primary anime site afterall :p)

And yes, those prices are just the SUGGESTED ones. Not to mention, ever seen the price of American tv shows? Yeahh... when they come out they are pretty high too...

Oh, and the Darkstalkers GN 2 is FINALLY coming out?? Keep seeing that release date change and thought it never was (is GN 2 the last one before going on hiatus, or is this finally a continuation after the break?) I've never seen even vol 1 available in stores. Is it in the manga section like Udon's Street Fighters? Or in the actual GN section?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I usually just keep an eye on the Right Stuf recent changes page, but I'd love to see this as a regular posting.

And, yeah, we have it so much better than the Japanese when it comes to pricing, even at $60 MSRP. Honestly, guy, just how little do you think you should be paying for niche market releases?
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I like this feature, very handy. I hope it becomes a regular occurance. I'm not always up to date on what's coming, and this is a nice reminder.

For the most part, I think DVD pricing in North America is very reasonable. And really, MSRP is a suggested price. Most retailers do discount it a bit, sometimes a lot.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Don't think there have been any announcements about the DVD release yet. Definitely one I am eager to buy though, as the show is consistently... delightful? I don't know, but just lots of fun. Razz

I meant the manga, but I too am greatly anticipating the DVD (and hopefully BD). I stopped after episode 2 since I didn't want to buy a subscription and don't like streaming, but I found it quite titillating.

Lys wrote:
The manga? Looks like it's currently scheduled for next January.

There we go! Thanks for that info.

@This thread
Guys, you should go to the retail section more often if you want to know about upcoming releases. It's usually 2 months ahead on release dates and delays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
True, I'd take the BD option for HOTD as well, actually. It's certainly a very shiny show...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2