• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-09-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure that the selectable subtitle thing (which I do agree Funimation needs to fix) is not what Funimation thinks is going to drive sales. When a tv series tanks the company thinks it's because of the series itself. The thing is that their right, the average person doesn't care about the fansubs (Whose quality varies) I mean how many dire hard fansubbers honestly buy anime?

If you want to complain then send them an e-mail about how their blui-ray didn't allow you to select subtitles for FMA: Brotherhood and watch the dub at the same time. Boycotting the release means less money for the company, and that could be dire for the anime industry.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
A few thousand people complaining about that same thing? Not so easy. That's what we in the industry call a "problem." And problems tend to get dealt with. Not always in the way people want, but they are dealt with.

You're absolutely right, after Tenchi OVA3, thousands of people told FUNimation it was terrible through mediocre and outright bashing reviews (One commenter up top in the questions answered even made a crack at it) and FUNimation listened by lying about the situation and releasing a Viridian collection

Yep they give a shit about what we think
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Answerman wrote:
A few thousand people complaining about that same thing? Not so easy. That's what we in the industry call a "problem." And problems tend to get dealt with. Not always in the way people want, but they are dealt with.

You're absolutely right, after Tenchi OVA3, thousands of people told FUNimation it was terrible through mediocre and outright bashing reviews (One commenter up top in the questions answered even made a crack at it) and FUNimation listened by lying about the situation and releasing a Viridian collection

What are you talking about? The fact that they couldn't get Ryoko? Do you honestly expect them to redub the series with Ryoko's original voice actor? They don't have the money to redub the series for one person. Yeah they screwed up on that but it's not like they could eaisily fix that.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the increase in 13 episode series is unrelated to OVAs, it's related to the decrease in 26 episode series. Instead of having the usual 26 (or 24) episodes, you do 13 (or 12) episodes as a test-run and then if it does well you add a second "season," which is sometimes just the second half. Not always, but often of late.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
Answerman wrote:

What are you talking about? The fact that they couldn't get Ryoko? Do you honestly expect them to redub the series with Ryoko's original voice actor? They don't have the money to redub the series for one person. Yeah they screwed up on that but it's not like they could eaisily fix that.

That third Tenchi OVA had way bigger problems than not bringing back Ryoko's original English dub voice. But it wasn't Funimation's fault that Kajishima completely dropped the ball.

My biggest issue with the Brotherhood subtitles is how difficult to make out they are at times. I had the same problem with the subtitles for the first series, too. They need to do subtitles for it that are like the Dragon Ball Z subtitles.

Learn to outline those damn things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was wondering how is it FUNimation's fault how an OVA production itself turned out? That's like blaming them for a DBZ fight running too long.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering how is it FUNimation's fault how an OVA production itself turned out? That's like blaming them for a DBZ fight running too long.

Well, I suppose you could blame them for picking it instead of something else, but since it was part of a well-established, popular franchise, from a strictly business perspective it was a good candidate for licensing.

I know nothing about this series, so I'll just sit back and watch you guys argue it out if you like. Very Happy
robo-ky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
"If you DON'T support this small little industry, it will fail. That much is certain." - ouch answerman the truth hurts, this got me thinking no matter how many FMA Brotherhood blu-rays sell it's dwarfed by stuff like Iron Man 2. :sigh: i think the US anime industry really is going to die and pretty soon. and btw the 2nd question guy ( the one hard of hearing) with his problem the subtitle issue makes sense but why do people think it's ok to keep or use fansubs if they buy the dvds? fansubs take money away from US distributors period, i can only see d/l them if you're uber desperate to watch an unlicensed anime
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My biggest issue with the Brotherhood subtitles is how difficult to make out they are at times. I had the same problem with the subtitles for the first series, too. They need to do subtitles for it that are like the Dragon Ball Z subtitles.

Learn to outline those damn things.

I couldn't agree with you more. I noticed that most of their subtitles are pretty difficult to read. I miss the good old black outlined and yellowed colored subtitles that older anime companies used.

I also don't know if its me but my beef with Funi's DVD's in general is subtitles that would completely freeze up or not show up at all randomly. The only way to fix it is to "Rewind" the DVD or "Fast Forward" to the next scene. Examples being Speed Grapher Vol.1, Speed Grapher Vol.5, FullMetal Alchemist Season 2 part 1 (don't remember which episodes they were as this was a while ago when I found this issue), and Case Closed Season 3 Viridian Collection (same as with FMA). I have a Blu-ray player, DVD player, Xbox 360, PS2, and computer DVD player and no matter which one I play it on it always happens (in random spots no less).

Has anyone experience this too or am I just crazy?

I will probably write to Funi about this as its one thing for your DVD player to sometimes cause that (especially if its old), but its another when your Blu-ray, game consoles, and computer DVD player are doing it too.

P.S Despite the not being able to switch between subs or dubs with FMA: Brotherhood, I still like the Blu-ray version very much. Also, I watch alot of fansubs yet would buy the official releases to support the industry (if I enjoyed the series that is).

Last edited by Rukiia on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

I also don't know if its me but my beef with Funi's DVD's in general is subtitles that would completely freeze up or not show up at all randomly. The only way to fix it is to "Rewind" the DVD or "Fast Forward" to the next scene. Examples being Speed Grapher Vol.1, Speed Grapher Vol.5, FullMetal Alchemist Season 2 part 1 (don't remember which episodes they were as this was a while ago when I found this issue), and Case Closed Season 3 Viridian Collection (same as with FMA). I have a Blu-ray player, DVD player, Xbox 360, PS2, and computer DVD player and no matter which one I play it on it always happens (in random spots no less).

I've had that problem too- everything's going along happy-happy, them boom- subs vanish, and you're scrambling for the remote to rewind in the hopes that they'll stick around this time. I know my DVD player's a little screwy, but I haven't tried it elsewhere yet. I really should...
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The hearing impaired person's complaint about the lack of subtitles seemed odd. Couldn't the closed-captioned function of the TV be turned on when viewing the disk? Unless Blu-Ray doesn't allow this. Our family regularly watches TV with caps on, and in the past they've worked on DVDs.

Besides, I've noticed there's a difference in dialog between subtitles and the dub script/dialog in the few anime I've collected. It was a little distracting. If the CC works, it should at least be closer to the dubbed dialog then the subtitles.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
robo-ky wrote:
"If you DON'T support this small little industry, it will fail. That much is certain." - ouch answerman the truth hurts, this got me thinking no matter how many FMA Brotherhood blu-rays sell it's dwarfed by stuff like Iron Man 2. :sigh: i think the US anime industry really is going to die and pretty soon.

NO!! I don't wanna believe it! (I swear that is NOT a bad pun/reference...) But seeing as how so few people are buying anime...

Good luck to Answerman and his play! And I hope that you get those bible sandals that you "maybe" want....
jyuichi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No Japanese audio with no subtitles for those who are comfortable enough with the language

Because that's what the Japanese release is for.

I suspect the whole purpose of the crazy sub-lock is that they don't want Japanese backimporting it.

Also how does the writer know fansub "quality"? Is he "comfortable enough with the language" to judge that?

Sounds like the usual drivel downloaders spew out.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
lolz at the bible sandals at first i thought they would have bible verses on them? or be replica's of jesus sandals? was actually surprised by how many types of bible sandals was on that website Shocked
robo-ky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
btw A-Man good luck w/ the play i'm diggin the title.
my bad i could've put this all in one post Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4