• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Anime's 2nd Year Confirmed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Funi picks this up, it'd be nice to see this dubbed (although the sub isn't bad either)
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, as far as I understand One Piece is doing really well for Funimaton (hence the quick releases of seasons now) and Fairly Tale has a lot in common with One Piece.

I just hope Funimation announces it's acquisition soon, maybe in the the 2011 Roll Out Riot.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
If its on Crunchyroll doesn't that generally mean Funimation passed on it?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
As much I like the manga, this show has some of the worst animation I have ever seen. I admit backgrounds and character designs look nice, but The fights are horrible. There's no actual fluidity, it's all just a bunch of quick cuts. It's hard to believe Satelight put out something this poor.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
So, me being somebody whose longest-running anime commitment to date is Rurouni Kenshin (and that it will probably remain), how is arc coverage going to work further down the line, since it seems like Fariy Tail is going the same way as One Piece et al? Will the studio simply reproduce source material until they run into a wall and have to create filler, or will they start doing so sooner such that there is always a "gap" between the latest GN and the latest animated material?
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Hopefully Funi picks this up, it'd be nice to see this dubbed (although the sub isn't bad either)

I would never want to see a dub of this series.
Every dub I have ever seen save one was horridly miscast.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
As much I like the manga, this show has some of the worst animation I have ever seen. I admit backgrounds and character designs look nice, but The fights are horrible. There's no actual fluidity, it's all just a bunch of quick cuts. It's hard to believe Satelight put out something this poor.

That's sarcasm right?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
Was a no-brainer it would get a second year really.
Only issue is how they will deal with when they get really close to the manga. Filler, obviously, but the quality of it will depend on keeping the viewers it has attracted.
As for the comment about the "poor animation", I think it's gotten better with each arc. The fights have become more fluid, at least for the major ones, and the art style has notably become more high budget.
If you want to complain about still frames or panning shots of fights, see One Piece in its current arc. Absolutely terrible for it and yet look at the viewer numbers.
We just need to remember that shows like this aren't going to amazingly well animated since they are on-going shonen shows with a limited budget for it, with Fairy Tail being considerably less than similiar shows since it's a new contender.
Anyway, great news. Love the show.
As for it being licensed, not too fussed. Love it subbed and the CR streams do me nicely.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

while this was true in the beginning, since the end of the phantom arc the animation for the fights has gotten alot better with actual animation for the fights. currently its quite an awesome series and you really forget how crappy it was at the start. so happy that its gonna continue.
Keyl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Scormio wrote:

I would never want to see a dub of this series.
Every dub I have ever seen save one was horridly miscast.

so I'm guessing you either still live in the 90's or that you live in a your own little world where all Japanese dubs are perfect and all English dubs are rubbish?

i'd like a dub if they gave it a the One Piece treatment.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, great news to hear it official that they're continuing Fairy Tail! I agree the animation's improved as the show has picked up and probably also as the show has picked up more viewers so hopefully that will continue and it'll keep getting higher budgeted, it was also never as cheaply animated as Rave Master. The show has been great to watch.

Well said Keyl, was about to say the same thing.

Hopefully Funi picks it up soon so that we won't have too wait too long, totally looking forwards to re-watching these episodes dubbed someday too.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

If you want to complain about still frames or panning shots of fights, see One Piece in its current arc. Absolutely terrible for it and yet look at the viewer numbers.

Bwuh? Is this a serious comment?

Yeah, there are some sequences that are just panning still shots (there have been at least one or two of these montages in almost every episode of the arc so far), but that's because 1) there's SO MUCH HAPPENING everywhere that you simply can't show it all, and 2) those panning shots are coming in between sequences of excellent animation (especially for a shounen). Stuff like Marco vs. Kizaru, for example. Or really much of anything involving any of the significant characters.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
If its on Crunchyroll doesn't that generally mean Funimation passed on it?

No, Crunchyroll licenses titles for streaming only (usually) direct from the Japanese licensers and usually does so before the shows premiere in Japan. Their license is different from the master licenses or DVD/BR licenses that companies like Viz, FUNi, and the rest go for. There have been several cases of Crunchyroll having the same licenses that other distributors have, just look at Naruto, Bleach (both of which are a week ahead of Viz's stream), Gintama, Eyeshild 21, Tower of Druaga, or Linebarrels of Iron, among many others.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remiell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
An absolutely horrible show.
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Bwuh? Is this a serious comment?

Yeah, there are some sequences that are just panning still shots (there have been at least one or two of these montages in almost every episode of the arc so far), but that's because 1) there's SO MUCH HAPPENING everywhere that you simply can't show it all, and 2) those panning shots are coming in between sequences of excellent animation (especially for a shounen). Stuff like Marco vs. Kizaru, for example. Or really much of anything involving any of the significant characters.

See, here's someone who knows what he's talking about.

That's because One Piece actually has well known key animators working on it, specially for fighting/action scenes (BIG names such as Naotoshi Shida, Kenji Kuroyanagi and Yoshikazu Tomita - do some search), something that Fairy Tail lacks completely.
Hell, sometimes FT seems done by complete amateurs - in fact, this show has very few regular animators, and most of them are total nobodies. No wonder the action sequences are usually a bunch of poorly drawn still shots with zero fluidity, it's almost embarassing to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4