• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
ANN uses small icons to flag the condition of an entry, such as and to indicate an error report resp. an endorsement.

I would like this particular icon to get a different color (purple/violet?) if this is an error that has been reported by the currently logged-in user themselves (for endorsements, darker green/olive?).
This would allow a user to tell apart their own error flags from foreign ones without having to look up the creator of the flag.

An alternative implementation would be to add the list of names of the error submitters to the tooltip text that currently reads "1 person reported an error with this" etc. This would require an additional mouse movement by the user but at least not sending an additional HTTP request to the server.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
ANN uses small icons to flag the condition of an entry, such as and to indicate an error report resp. an endorsement.

I would like this particular icon to get a different color (purple/violet?) if this is an error that has been reported by the currently logged-in user themselves (for endorsements, darker green/olive?).
This would allow a user to tell apart their own error flags from foreign ones without having to look up the creator of the flag.

An alternative implementation would be to add the list of names of the error submitters to the tooltip text that currently reads "1 person reported an error with this" etc. This would require an additional mouse movement by the user but at least not sending an additional HTTP request to the server.

I agree. I wold also like to be able to tell if the reported error is for a datum that the viewing user submitted themselves.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I wold also like to be able to tell if the reported error is for a datum that the viewing user submitted themselves.
Of course it doesn't hurt to display the blue icon (i. e. "my contribution") and the red icon (i. e. "error flagged") next to each other to have both informations available at once. But this would not be the place to systematically look for this kind of information.

I would prefer to find "your contributions that have been error-flagged by others" in my "all the contributions and error reports you made" report so that I don't have to scroll through dozens or even hundreds of anime to find them but could instead check regularly at one place whether there's something that I ought to deal with.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Something I've been meaning to bring up for ages:
I would love for the combined name in kanji to be presented somewhere, either by changing the way it is presented or showing the combined name somewhere also, maybe as a profile option. It is a small thing, but every time I want to copy a name from ANN I either have to perform two separate copy and past operations or copy it as-is (e.g. "宮崎 Given name (in kanji): 駿") and delete the extra text.
As this has been implemented in the meantime I wonder whether the space at the right side next to this information might be used for displaying: "See also: " and a list of names of other persons with the same kanji name (with a link to each of these on their name) if there are kanji duplicates of this person. As all information for such a feature is already available it would only require an additional SQL request for the kanji name and should be easy to implement.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the page of a person at ANN their credits can (optionally) be displayed ordered by "the year" of the anime this credit refers to. Apparently the vintage year is what will be used for this sorting mechanism.

In some situations this can give a very misleading impression. Example (from Chiemi HIRONAKA):

Staff in:
(1996) Case Closed (TV) : Animation Director , Key Animation (Studio Boomerang)
(2001) Detective Conan: Conan vs Kid vs YAIBA (OAV) : In-Between Animation
(2002) Detective Conan: 16 Suspects (OAV) : In-Between Animation
(2006) D.Gray-man (TV) : Key Animation
(2009) Before Green Gables (TV) : Key Animation (St. Boomerang; 6 episodes)

At first sight this looks like she is more than one person - it would be strange for an Animation Director to drop down to the level of In-Between Animation five years later. The reason for this strange effect is that Case Closed TV is still ongoing in the year 2010 (after 14 years and 580 episodes known to ANN), so this is actually the most recent credit and not the earliest one.
Had the first line begun with "(1996-2010+) Case Closed (TV)" (which could have been derived from the episode list that goes until July 2010 already, with the "+" indicating that this is an ongoing series) this effect would have been less confusing. This extended format should only be used when first and last year of the anime are different.

The sorting order by the start year is fine - simply changing this to the year of the most recent release of the anime in question wouldn't improve anything (the "Case Closed" credit could have been an in-between activity from 1997, thus reversing the nature of the problem).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When contributing a company name from a kanji-only source the most frequent reason for not matching the kanji name already specified in the ANN company entry is that one of the two strings to be matched contains kanji separator characters ("ハル・フィルムメーカー") while the other string does not ("ハルフィルムメーカー").
It would be a significant improvement for the string matching logic to do two comparisons, one with the raw strings on both sides and the other with the strings stripped off their "・" characters.
(I can imagine this to be difficult to implement if ANN does a simple SQL index access for this field - it might then require a separate static field for both variants - but as I don't know how the internal data structure actually works I thought it doesn't hurt to mention it at least.)

The second most frequent reason for a company name not matching is both strings differing in the "studio" part ("St." vs. "スタジオ" vs. empty string) but this would probably be much more difficult to handle.
One way of dealing with this effect would be to allow more than one kanji name for a company. (Wikipedia pages for animation companies often list a number of names under which a company is known but I can't remember having seen a company with more than five different notations of their name.) But this would probably mean a modification of the existing data structures and as such not be likely to happen real soon.

One of the informations for the purpose of questioning the plausibility of a romanization of a kanji name (useful when dealing with split requests, duplicate persons etc.) might be the distribution of romanized names for a given kanji name in persons at ANN.
Providing a specific tool for this would probably go too far; a more generally useful feature that could help in this field as well would be to enhance ANN's name search function to accept kanji names as input.
For the time being I'm bypassing this by using ANN's Google search feature which covers more documents but provides less specific information (such as more than one hit for the same person or even suppressing some person pages as "similar" to others).
cranston

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Greetings,

First, let me apologise if I've stuck this topic in the wrong place.

On topic: I wish to raise the possibility of including, as part of an anime description, a credit to the contributor who wrote the description. That is the say, at the end of a description, we include "written by xxx" or "translated by xxx" or something to that effect.

This policy is currently in practice at other anime sites like ANfo and Adb.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
A number of times I wished there was a way to get a voice sample for each seiyuu listed in the encyclopedia. Some cast website links provide sound clips but ones for older (activity, not agewise) VAs typically have nothing or return with 404 errors. I don't know of any central source that provides sound clips of VAs voices. How tough would this be to implement into ANNs encyclopedia? Users could simply add links, upload files and do QC to do the bulk of the work.

I wanted to hear sound clips of all the female seiyuu from Megazone 23 but linking on their websites and searching youtube for clips (other than songs) returned 0 results Sad

Basically I'm looking for a particular seiyuu. She's cast in both Megazone 23 and Vampire Princess Miyu (and I think City Hunter) and she sounds a little bit like Noriko Sakai (maybe).

EDIT: found who I was looking for (Hiroko Kasahara), but this would've been much easier with a central sound clip source.
Trejon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
hi there, the searching option for anime/mangas should allow you to exclude the want to "see/seen some/seen all/will not finish" anime/mangas that have been stored by the user alowing him to dont have the need to open an anime/manga while using the search option since while using it, dosnt show the small picture that shows if you have it in one of the 4 categories mentioned before, so the only way to dont lose time opening anime/mangas you have already seen its by having an extremely good memory
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this has come up before, but what about entering certain video games as "not anime but related"? I'm thinking of two circumstances in which games would be allowed to be added:

1) There are multiple titles related to a series of games, but not directly related to each other. The HaruToki manga and anime titles are one example (discussed here), or the Rockman/Megaman franchise (a discussion on which came upon a forum search, sorry, don't have the link). This would be allowed when there are multiple titles that are adaptations of different games in a game series, where the titles cannot be linked to each other more than "related to", but the games are directly related.

2) The games are an integral part of the story. The only example I can think of here would be the .hack franchise, where the original games are a sequel of .hack//SIGN, .hack//LIMINALITY is a side-story to them, and .hack//UNISON is a sequel to both them and .hack//SIGN. And the .hack//GU games being side-story/sequel (yes, they're both) to .hack//ROOTS. And the upcoming new anime related to .hack//LINK.

I'm not sure if this would make the Final Fantasy games eligible (as most of the encyclopedia titles are not related to each other, as well as all of the FF7 titles being integral to each other [ymmv]), but there would obviously have to be restrictions in place, so every game that has an anime adaptation (i.e. Xenosaga) or anime that's been adapted into a game (i.e. MKR, tons of others) doesn't get added.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm sure this has come up before, but what about entering certain video games as "not anime but related"? I'm thinking of two circumstances in which games would be allowed to be added:

1) There are multiple titles related to a series of games, but not directly related to each other. The HaruToki manga and anime titles are one example (discussed here), or the Rockman/Megaman franchise (a discussion on which came upon a forum search, sorry, don't have the link). This would be allowed when there are multiple titles that are adaptations of different games in a game series, where the titles cannot be linked to each other more than "related to", but the games are directly related.

2) The games are an integral part of the story. The only example I can think of here would be the .hack franchise, where the original games are a sequel of .hack//SIGN, .hack//LIMINALITY is a side-story to them, and .hack//UNISON is a sequel to both them and .hack//SIGN. And the .hack//GU games being side-story/sequel (yes, they're both) to .hack//ROOTS. And the upcoming new anime related to .hack//LINK.

I'm not sure if this would make the Final Fantasy games eligible (as most of the encyclopedia titles are not related to each other, as well as all of the FF7 titles being integral to each other [ymmv]), but there would obviously have to be restrictions in place, so every game that has an anime adaptation (i.e. Xenosaga) or anime that's been adapted into a game (i.e. MKR, tons of others) doesn't get added.

I second this.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh look... something involving trivia comes up, and Dessa's bringing up the disorganization of the trivia pages again (an editor never addressed my suggestion last time, but I'm trying to make it clearer).

To rehash my suggestion, instead of newly-submitted trivia simply being posted to the bottom, there should be a precision field (like when submitting staff roles), so that the trivia will be listed in episode order.

This would do two things-
1) Reduce the number of duplicate trivia (especially in series with a long trivia page), because someone didn't see the previous-existing trivia.
2) Reduce the chances of someone who's only seen part of a series to be unintentionally spoiled when they want to make sure their trivia isn't already there. (Yes, this is more a personal preference thing, but you don't want contributors to be unhappy with the site, right?)

To put examples from the above-linked title (the not-needing-fixed ones), a trivia page with precision could look something like this:

Quote:

_Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi_ won an Agency for Cultural Affairs "Excellence Prize" at the 2002 (6th) Media Arts Festival.

In the english language version of episode 3 (Sci-Fi World), when Mr. Kouhei demands that Arumi pays for the weapons, the last explicative he uses after calling her a 'Bastard' is 'Smeghead.' The word 'Smeghead' is an explicative commonly used in the british science-fiction comedy 'Red Dwarf.' [Episode 3]

In episode 4 when Sasshi appears after his training is complete he has the body and look of the main character from Fist of the North Star. The circular scars on his chest are a dead give away. [Episode 4]

In Episode 4, During the panda scene (3.49) Komugi and Shrio from SoulTaker are clearly visable in the background [Episode 4]

In episode 8, Sayaka (dressed as Ayanami Rei from Neon Genesis: Evangelion, TV episode 26), lists the various terms for "Big Brother" used in the Sister Princess game and anime. When she says "check it out!", the Japanese line has the word "cheki," which is used by Yotsuba in Sister Princess. [Episode 8]

As Amiryun departs in episode 8 (an episode based around dating simulation games,) she references the visual novel Kanon; specifically the character Ayu Tsukimiya. "The taiyaki we ate together were delicious...Uguu~" It is also worth noting that actress Yui Horie voices both Amiryun and Ayu in their respective anime. [Episode 8]

In episode 11, some of the military music is adapted from the theme from "1941," by John Williams. [Episode 11]

There is an error on the fourth DVD with the AD Notes. Toward the end of episode 12, the tall skyscraper is referred to as the tower from "Die Hard." However, it's actually the Glass Tower from "The Towering Inferno." Even the commentary makes the same mistake as with the AD Notes. [Episode 12]

In episode 12 (5:00), Sasshi's materialization - naked, curled, amid lightnings - is taken from the movie The Terminator, as is the taking of the clothes from the thugs scene. [Episode 12]

In episode 12 (17:00), Sasshi is Indiana Jones. [Episode 12]

In episode 12 (20:08), there is a Back To The Future film parody. [Episode 12]

In episode 12 (21:50), E.T's silhouette is visible in the moon. [Episode 12]

For things like the general series trivia at the top, the precision could be entered as *, the same as major anime roles, to be placed at the top. Then would come the episode trivia, and at the bottom would be trivia without any precision. The precision could either go before or after the trivia itself. Preferably, it would also be smaller font, to make it clear it's not part of the trivia itself.

I believe users can add precision to entries that don't have any, so contributors could add in precision for trivia that doesn't currently have it, but newly added trivia could have the precision added when it's entered.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Could the series about Satoshi Kon this last week be linked to his entry in the Encyclopedia?

I just know I will want to look them up again some time in the future and it would be the logical way to find them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Oh look... something involving trivia comes up, and Dessa's bringing up the disorganization of the trivia pages again (an editor never addressed my suggestion last time, but I'm trying to make it clearer).

I liked the suggestion the last time I read it, but it slipped my mind. This time I've tweaked the trivia list so that trivia are grouped by "in episode X". Updated the instructions as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Cool, thanks!

*goes to check out the tweaking*
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that looks nice. In light of the new instructions, should we submit error reports for trivia that don't include the "episode #" format (for example "first episode," "episode five")? Also, does this work for chapters in manga?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Guess I have some trivia to edit. Smile
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
I wish we cold edit our own submitted anime and manga—I keep finding new information or formating mistakes (mostly "AKA's") for those that I've entered, and it seems a little dishonest to endorse my own submissions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 21