• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation's S.A.V.E. edtions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Moonlight Mile is only the first half. I looked at it at Fry's when I was looking for Haruhi.

BTW just in case I forgot to mention it, BECK is only a 4 disc set in the SAVE version. I think it was originally a 6-7 disc set.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's been able to cram 6-7 episodes plus special features onto a disc before (Fruits Basket).

As far as I can tell with special features on the SAVE line from what I'm looking up, either they trim away on Special Features leaving just clean OP/ ED sequences (BECK, Jinki, Kurau) or they leave the features intact (Kodocha, Coyote Ragtime Show, Ghost Hunt). Some of the shows however only had clean OP/ ED sequences for features in their original release anyway though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
Why do I get redirected to Navarre's front page whenever I try to visit any Funimation page? Confused

ETA: Tried a web proxy. I see, Funimation does not like foreign visitors looking at their pages Mad Well, Funimation, I am a paying customer, you know. It's not very nice to treat your customers like that.

As for the SAVE labels, I'm glad I got Venus Versus Virus, Sasami, Kurau, Ghost Hunt and Hell Girl S1 before they got the ugly spines. I hope Str.A.In. and Kanon won't have them when I get around to them (and maybe Kodocha and Air).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
I can not believe there are people out there who will not purchase a low cost product, many of which are worth owning, simply because of a spine design (easily fixed with Paint and a color printer).

Anime fans. More damaging than a recession.™
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Well, when you display items throughout your room, it only makes sense that you'd want a nice looking spine rather than an obtrusive green that ruins the decor, right? I personally would rather pay a little extra for the older, nicer case than buy a S.A.V.E. set, but that's just the collector in me. I think they're great for people who don't care about that kind of stuff and just want to have the DVDs.

Granted, I'm not to saying that I won't ever purchase any of them. There are some killer deals... and that Welcome to the NHK set is looking mighty nice. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. This thread went to three pages...

Ggultra2764 wrote:
However, the special features on SAVE edition sets in most instances are minimum as you don't get as much packed onto discs compared to the original singles DVD releases.

Well, that's disheartening, I might have even re-brought Pani Poni.

Though the green spine completely clashes with the yellow.

At least they seem to have quite a few other interesting hows, out..
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Holy crap. This thread went to three pages...

Ggultra2764 wrote:
However, the special features on SAVE edition sets in most instances are minimum as you don't get as much packed onto discs compared to the original singles DVD releases.

Well, that's disheartening, I might have even re-brought Pani Poni.

Sometimes they just reissue the previous boxsets- it depends on the series, and what stock they have on hand I guess. Still, can't argue with those prices.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Oh, and it appears from looking at said thread that they don't all have spines on the reverse cover, but it's better than having that ugly green thing, I do take back a good percentage of the ire I just had for S.A.V.E. about 12 hours or so earlier.

Yeah, I think it's moreso something they're trying with the more recent green spined boxes. Though a lot of them are simple reprices-

http://funimation.com/save/ Their website lays out which ones have green spines/which ones are reissues/reprices pretty easily for the most part, though some like Kodocha got the green spines when they made it out.
I do know that Aquarion and Moeyoken are just the thinpacks sets, and I also saw some others like them at retail [Red Garden and Hell Girl are just reissues]
I need to get Red Garden 0_0 I was going to back off buying new anime to catch up with my backlog, but these things have been popping up lately

Also, though not on the site, Xenosaga is currently repriced to 24.99 in a nice 2-disc case with a reversible cover.

NOW EVERYONE GO BUY GLASS FLEET FOR $30!
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Although these editions look bad, it's hard to complain with those prices. $20 or less for a full series is practically a give away. I suspect that Funimation is doing this to encourage people to buy the first releases rather than waiting for the cheaper editions. I'm definitely picking up both the series and movie of Air TV and probably Hell Girl down the line.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
That Kurau show is pretty iffy from the description. Didn't know NHK is gonna be a S.A.V.E. and Beck was the only good show other than Big Windup! that didn't totally suck.

Kurou is a pretty decent show overall, if a little uneven. Looks like I will finally get a chance to buy it and NHK. And a few other titles I skipped.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I can not believe there are people out there who will not purchase a low cost product, many of which are worth owning, simply because of a spine design (easily fixed with Paint and a color printer).

Anime fans. More damaging than a recession.™

Collectors always want the best edition, I suppose.

Me, I just like having what I like at my fingertips, I plan on revelling in this!
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Picked up the Big Windup one- not too bad, reversible cover [though not one of the ones w/a spine logo like some are getting- though it does have an episode guide!], and 4 discs with a baseball diamond theme to them, all in one slim case. A real bargain since it works out to $1-ish an episode.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
You wouldn't mind posting pictures of that "reversible" cover, would you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

It's basically a wraparound, lookingup-perspective shot of the cast huddling together during break in a game, with a list of episodes/disc content on the left hand side over the art. It's a fairly nice piece of artwork.

Also, saw the School Rumble S1 Save ed. in stores- it's basically a brick boxset, with a S.A.V.E sticker popped on the spine, outside the shrinkwrap. Same w/the S2 set, though that's a thinpack ed. of it.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Also, I really hate the SAVE tradedressing on the DVD cover spines. They're kinda gaudy.

Most titles have reversible covers so you can hide any notice of SAVE.

Lance Heiskell
That FUNimation Guy
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Read the thread. We'll look at posting the clean covers on the funimation.com/save site.

Lance Heiskell
That FUNimation Guy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4