• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breakfast of Champions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
You hate that show no matter what anybody says? No offense, but that kind of attitude really makes understanding and empathizing things that you'd dislike, that others like, next to impossible.

I didn't say "no matter what anybody says". I said:
Quote:
I hate this show and almost nothing you can say will change my mind.

Which is to say, almost no one could say anything that's going to change my mind on this. I very carefully said "almost" because I think it's feasible that someone could say something that might totally change my mind. However, this is an extremely unlikely scenario. Basically if Carl Horn said something so mind-bendingly radical about Casshern, it might suddenly shift my opinion. That is to say, if someone who's opinion I trusted said something amazing I might re-think my position. Strangers yelling at me on the internet is hardly going to change my mind because my hatred of this show is so great.

Oh know what I meant. Almost doesn't get the job done. And 50% of the time people say that because they're largely unconvinced. Also, I know that you explained yourself why. (Why people are only selecting that one quip is beyond me.)
As I said before, I can get why people don't like it. But... starting of the column with a sentence like that is almost like writing off everything it does do well.

And yes, people are bound to believe those they trust. But, can I just say on a forum that I think differently? As for your GaiGaoGar sec. I can honestly say I was pleased. Some of my buds called it a "Gurren Lagann for kids".
Didn't know whether that was a good thing or not, but your input definitely made me switch my Netflix slots around...
And, even though I thought Key was a bit reserved with his review(saying something works for some and pisses off others, isn't exactly stating a definite point.), he did give credit where it was due.
And maybe that's why I jumped the gun a little. My bad.
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Reading the review had me dismissing this title, but now I think I might try a bit after reading the forums. Enough are defending it to possibly make it worth it. And it's on Blu Ray, which it sounds like a good encode, so I will check it out.

Funimation is streaming Casshern Sins, and it's a series that I'd encourage interested parties to sample before committing to a purchase. It does appear to be an especially polarizing show. I seem to remember Moribito having love/hate camps, though not to this degree. (Maybe Moribito was more of a love-or-bored thing.) (I [heart] Moribito.)

Moribito makes me think of feeding Isaac and Miria to La Lunga... a disorderly queue of La Lunga. Goosebumps! I have goosebumps!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
That collection looks awesome and I WANT THAT CAT, OMG. Very Happy
mabber36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, talk about poor taste. Cassern sins is one of the best anime from 2008, right next to Kaiba

never reading this article again
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I like some aspects of Casshern Sins, such as the visuals, the fight coreography and the voice acting by Tohru Furuya, but the repetitive dialogue really grated on me, as well as its dreary pace, which reminded me of how Shigeyasu Yamauchi's self-indulgence bogged down the latest Saint Seiya movie and got him booted from the franchise (and replaced by a much worse director, unfortunately).

I felt the show would have benefited from a lower episode count and a smarter writer who's more adept at subtle symbolism, like Yoji Enokido or Sadayuki Murai.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I get that you don't like Casshern Sins, but you really shouldn't have spoiled it for other people who do like it... I know that I got really into the show and would have been disappointed if it had been spoiled for me. Please try to be more considerate about it in the future.

Last edited by LeanGreen on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't need to hear her trash the great work that is Casshern Sins, I honestly don't. I've never been more polarized over a review than I have with this one. This is a story not for the faint of heart and clearly she couldn't handle it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
That collection looks awesome and I WANT THAT CAT, OMG. Very Happy

Glad people like my Butter cat! She puts up with a lot of stupid, she's very well tempered and I can even play with her paws without her hurting me! Trust me, I've yet to meet one person who has met her and not wanted a clone of her or made plans to catnap her. But she also has a tendency to sleep on top of you and make you not want to move because she just looks so darn peaceful and happy. And she's soft and warm so you don't want to move her off you for that reason either, it's a tough call on what to do when she's got you pinned down.
TC-man wrote:
As for the shelves, wow, I wish I got the money to buy the whole manga collection of Maison Ikkoku.

I actually got them one at a time as they came out, so I never had to do the scramble for volume 8, thank god! And getting one every 2-3 months doesn't feel as expensive, so that's always nice. I think that was one of the first series I started collecting, glad I caught on early with Maison Ikkoku.

Ok, anyway, I've yet to see Casshern Sins, although I plan to, but I'm glad my shelves got posted this week cus it made me jump right to the forums to see if anyone likes my cat....where I learned there are spoilers, so now I really don't want to read the thing about Casshern here since I know there are spoilers. It's gonna make me a little wary in the future too on this column to be honest, there's nothing more annoying than spoilers, not even "It was his sled" level of spoilers should be on a review if you ask me. I don't care what show went in what category, I'm more concerned that there are spoilers anywhere.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

What a terrible way to shut down discussion so that you won't be challenged on your perspective of the series. It's one thing to dislike the show, but it's another to attempt to be the final word on it in the very first sentence of your review.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mentions of PBR make me miss the Happy House of Hentai. ::SIGH::
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Quote:

What a terrible way to shut down discussion so that you won't be challenged on your perspective of the series. It's one thing to dislike the show, but it's another to attempt to be the final word on it in the very first sentence of your review.

I think Erin has every right to speak the way she does considering the crap people on the forums here keep throwing at her, just for speaking her mind (which is the entire point of an editorial)

Whenever she seems to react negatively to anything, people here seem to respond as her being:

1-Just flat out wrong (or unprofessional, stupid, anti-catholic, whatever).

2-As though her opinion on something is just some kind of flu that she'll "get over" if someone makes the right statement...which usually ends up sounding just as callous as what people accuse her of.

Just face it, she don't like your cartoon, she's not going to hide it, and you can try to troll back by saying her opinion is a direct attack on yourselves, but that's not going to change anything.

..And I'm saying that as someone who's actually been enjoying Sins and doesn't even agree with her review, even though she makes some good points
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I think Erin has every right to speak the way she does considering the crap people on the forums here keep throwing at her, just for speaking her mind (which is the entire point of an editorial)

I think it behooves her to take her knocks like an adult in the name of being true to her own opinion.

Trying to both have her negative opinion and control the flow of any subsequent conversation in the very first sentence is unprofessional.

If this site doesn't want to hear other people's comments on polarizing reviews, then they shouldn't allow commenting on editorials. It's as simple as that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

Trying to both have her negative opinion and control the flow of any subsequent conversation in the very first sentence is unprofessional.

If this site doesn't want to hear other people's comments on polarizing reviews, then they shouldn't allow commenting on editorials. It's as simple as that.

"Unprofessional" means "I don't like the way you're doing things!" and has become meaningless FYI. If I eat popcorn instead of pretzels I'm "unprofessional" now.

You should really rethink that second statement considering you're in an uncensored thread full of negative comments about a polarizing editorial.

Also, she is "taking her knocks like an adult", way to condescend. Some of you are way, way too emotionally invested in what someone else thinks of a cartoon you like.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
If Erin didn't want to hear you all moan and hate her, all she had to do is lock the topic.

She wants you to talk about it, and she knows a lot of you disagree with her.

It is kinda of disingenuous to say she is trying to shut you up, when the topic is unlocked.
hitoyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Also, she is "taking her knocks like an adult", way to condescend. Some of you are way, way too emotionally invested in what someone else thinks of a cartoon you like.

Why are you trying to minimize the emotional impact of a anime masterpiece (Casshern Sins) by referring to it using the American derogatory word "cartoon"? That's funny.

You are so desperately trying to defend Erin's bizarre views, as she writes for your site, you are losing your own sense of editorial balance.

The simple fact and bottom line is that anyone who thinks "Gaogaigar" is "shelf worthy" whilst Casshern Sins is "perishable" clearly has no clue what the true historical tropes, genres or artistic and aesthetic values of Japanese animation are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10