• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breakfast of Champions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
diebuster wrote:
Even if you were a key animator, there would be absolutely no indication that you were a GOOD one.

I'm just curious; how many TV shows have you worked on? Specifically animated TV shows?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
diebuster wrote:
Even if you were a key animator, there would be absolutely no indication that you were a GOOD one.

I'm just curious; how many TV shows have you worked on? Specifically animated TV shows?

Don't bother, he's been banned. Ban doesn't expire.

For anyone wondering "hey just how far can I go in being ludicrously mean-spirited and self-righteous toward Erin when I disagree with her opinions", this guy's post is the high bar. Approaching it will get you banned.

It is possible to disagree with someone without trying to invalidate them personally and attack them in really nasty ways that have nothing to do with the debate at hand. Really sick and tired of the self-righteous posturing in here.
windam83

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Erin, I appreciate your honest and blunt way of reviewing anime through self life. Thank you for being real, keep it up.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Cheesecracker wrote:
Obviously, Erin does not have the gift of prophecy. For if she did she would have just avoided Casshern all together.

I gotta watch all the DVDs they send me. It's part of the job.

Don't mind me. I was just being cheeky

You have my sympathy. I can't say that I can quite relate(Would watching A Clockwork Orange qualify?). However, as a fellow art department critter, I imagine the perverse dunking booth* that is having to cater to others' 'bright ideas' is only slightly removed from having to watch the output of other 'bright ideas' channeled thru other art monkeys.

*yay, what strange fluid will I be plunging into/marinating in today?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
Don't ask me why, but for some crazy reason I always assumed the comments threads on reviews would be more polite and reasonable than other talkback threads. Now my eyes have been opened.

I was always sort of interested in Casshern Sins because of how pretty it looks, but I've been getting wildly conflicting views on the show. This one pretty much confirms all of the reasons I had built up to not buy it.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
(Would watching A Clockwork Orange qualify?)

zOMG, Stanley Kubrick. Don't go there. Raising him in the context of the weird direction this thread has taken is almost as scary as raising Evangelion.

Luckily his animated output is slender enough that we can just declare his movies off topic and step slowly and carefully back from the abyss.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
(Would watching A Clockwork Orange qualify?)

zOMG, Stanley Kubrick. Don't go there. Raising him in the context of the weird direction this thread has taken is almost as scary as raising Evangelion.

Luckily his animated output is slender enough that we can just declare his movies off topic and step slowly and carefully back from the abyss.

Just to clarify, I was alluding to the scene where he's forced to watch whatever they want him to. The one where they literally have his eyelids pulled open.

I was making a jest about vicarious expertise.

Because I am cheeky and impishly random.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
My husband couldn't understand how anyone could possibly like Casshern Sins. He's read these forum threads and is absolutely flabbergasted.

I know how that is too, I STILL don't understand how anyone can even tolerate Napoleon Dynamite, let alone like it...

It does make me laugh how mad some people get when you mention that you dont like <x> show that they love. Though in this case, some people are probably freaking out because they think that if a show they like gets a bad rating in a review (which this is) it will lead to others not giving it a chance. Even if that is the case, it usually doesnt take reading more than 5 or so reviews by a given reviewer before you figure out the person's preferences and whether or not they mesh with your own.

That said, whether or not I agree or disagree on any particular review I love your blunt style Erin. I can't stand it when reviewers dance around issues and try to be politically correct about saying what basically amounts to "dear God this show blows!" so as to avoid offending anyone.

I especially like how you list all the reasons why you don't like the show (or at least the big ones). That way if people see something they like in a show listed as one of the reasons you don't like it, they know that even though you hated the show, they will most likely still want to give it a shot. Please keep that up, it has been very helpful IMO.
batou65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Casshern Sins was my favorite anime of the last few years, but I do understand why some people wouldn't like it.

@Hardgear: Who is that in your avatar?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
batou65 wrote:
@Hardgear: Who is that in your avatar?

Hardgear Razz

Seriously. He was the main villain in Maetel Legend.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I know it's a bit late to ask but re:

Quote:
The second worst thing about Casshern Sins is that the creators assume the viewer will not be intelligent enough to figure out even the most blatant symbolism. It's not enough to have thousands of followers coming to Luna for salvation in order to imply that she is their savior. She has to actually say “I am your savior!” in case we couldn't put the clues together. In another scene, a pregnant woman sits in a field of flowers while two young children frolic. The blatant imagery is apparently not enough; the woman also says that she's kind of like the flowers – just to drive it through our thick skulls.

At the risk of totally outing myself as an idiot. I'll bite. What is the the symbolism/blatant imagery here? I have my suspicions but I would like to hear the answer before I venture a guess.

Quote:
The world of Casshern is filled exclusively with fertile fields of colorful flowers and utterly desolate gray wasteland. Just in case you the viewer totally missed that this is symbolic of life and death over the first 23 episodes, Casshern and Luna describe it in clear terms in the last episode. It's as if the producers felt the viewers were either very young children or else adults suffering from severe mental impairments who need everything explained in a slow and repetitive speech.

I wish I were a child to excuse my cluelessness, but I can't. I'm not really willing to accept being stupid either, but I can't prove it based on this criteria.

I'm assuming that it's not something that requires have seen the entire series. I admit that I haven't gotten that far yet.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

Quote:
The second worst thing about Casshern Sins is that the creators assume the viewer will not be intelligent enough to figure out even the most blatant symbolism. It's not enough to have thousands of followers coming to Luna for salvation in order to imply that she is their savior. She has to actually say “I am your savior!” in case we couldn't put the clues together. In another scene, a pregnant woman sits in a field of flowers while two young children frolic. The blatant imagery is apparently not enough; the woman also says that she's kind of like the flowers – just to drive it through our thick skulls.

At the risk of totally outing myself as an idiot. I'll bite. What is the the symbolism/blatant imagery here? I have my suspicions but I would like to hear the answer before I venture a guess.

spoiler[Jesus. And Luna specifically offering ingesting her blood for 'salvation' ie: survival from the Ruin.]

But, in the show's defense, that's a gross simplification of what is going on in the show.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
I'd much prefer an R1 release of the Ashita no Joe TV series but I'll take what I can get. If only the fansubs would be released quicker. They started subbing the show last year and they are still only up to episode 18.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

Quote:

spoiler[Jesus. And Luna specifically offering ingesting her blood for 'salvation' ie: survival from the Ruin.]

But, in the show's defense, that's a gross simplification of what is going on in the show.

But why would they wantspoiler[her blood, is she Jesus?] It's well established that it's supposed to be that eating Casshern that saves the robots.spoiler[Are they both Jesus?]

Your suggestion was my guess as to what Erin was thinking, but I was wondering what the specifically mentioned imagery refers to.

Quote:
in case we couldn't put the clues together. In another scene, a pregnant woman sits in a field of flowers while two young children frolic. The blatant imagery is apparently not enough; the woman also says that she's kind of like the flowers – just to drive it through our thick skulls.

In keeping with your suggestion I suppose spoiler[This is a Mary reference,]but I don't understand where the flowers and comment about the flowers comes in. Even the children don't fit the scheme AFAIK.

Sorry, if it seems like I'm just nitpicking, but Erin did say it was heavy handed and, while I can connect the dots by assuming*, none of what she cites means a whole lot to me. Maybe it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, but from my perspective she might be being a little 'me' centric.

* there are other symbolic threads I could follow before coming to that one(yes, maybe it is just me). Or I could just take it at face value as being a collection of traits/themes thrown together for their dramatic effect. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My husband couldn't understand how anyone could possibly like Casshern Sins. He's read these forum threads and is absolutely flabbergasted.

That is a vapid and ignorant comment. "I don't like show X, therefore I cannot imagine how anybody else could like it, either." Wow, so broad-minded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10