• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publisher Libre Confirms Notices to Manga Scan Groups

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
[Mod Edit: Pointless one-liner removed.]
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
One, not a BL fan, at all. But, all the same, good for Libre. I really like how they're doing this at the same time as releasing stuff legally on the kindle, that's actually a good idea.

Also, in b4 the howler monkeys get in here complaining about having their scanlations taken away.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
[One-liner removed.]

What's so wrong about a publisher defending the rights of it's artists? The groups got a notice, complied, and removed the activities. It all sounds pretty fair to me. Given they're also very active in licensing titles domestically for print and digital, it seems like fans won't be missing out on much by having their fave artists rights honoured.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Those girls have no back bone. I'm sure they will still do it under a different name. It is the internet after all. Change a few things you become a different person.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Those girls have no back bone. I'm sure they will still do it under a different name. It is the internet after all. Change a few things you become a different person.

Oh yeah, lets be sneaky, and keep doing it under a different fake name then the one they usually use to spite the totally evil people who make the manga they claim to love so much. Despite the fact that they sort of need people to buy said manga to make a living, and their publisher keeps putting it out digitally with their assorted licensing partners in a professional fashion. Show those artists whose boss! What do they need to pay rent for? Random internet peoples enjoyment totally pays for groceries! Grow a spin and screw them over good! Because the internet is free from any consequences!

BLEARRRRRRRRRGGGGH. I guess that's the most sarcasm I'll manage today

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-08-20
Where the League when you need em?
superunature

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
just learn chinese lol.....They may be able to stop the american manga scan sites, but no way they can in china. that place is full of unregulated piracy and stuff....
because if it Microsoft only sold 247 copies of genuine windows vista ultimate in china....and they can do nothing about it
superunature

just learn chinese lol.....They may be able to stop the american manga scan sites, but no way they can in china. that place is full of unregulated piracy and stuff....
because if it Microsoft only sold 247 copies of genuine windows vista ultimate in china....and they can do nothing about it
JLightstar

I heard news from some of the scanlations teams receiving the notices before the announcement was made. They respected the wishes of the publishers and closed their links... I do hope that Libre will try to focus on working with US publishers to bring more titles over or try to make more of their catalog available via digital service.

Last edited by JLightstar on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
I heard news from some of the scanlations teams receiving the notices before the announcement was made. They respected the wishes of the publishers and closed their links... I do hope that Libre will try to focus on working with US publishers to bring more titles over or try to make their catalog available via digital service.

From my understadning, they license titles to both Tokyopop and Digital Manga, and distribute digitally via the Emanga site of DMP's and Kindle. So yeah, they're doing that.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

From my understadning, they license titles to both Tokyopop and Digital Manga, and distribute digitally via the Emanga site of DMP's and Kindle. So yeah, they're doing that.

Good for them... I like this new system of Japanese companies starting to branch out into emanga instead of waiting for us companies to obtain licenses. Hopefully more companies will embrace it for some of their older titles. ( Hajime no Ippo for example...)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Good for them... I like this new system of Japanese companies starting to branch out into emanga instead of waiting for us companies to obtain licenses. Hopefully more companies will embrace it for some of their older titles. ( Hajime no Ippo for example...)

Much like the current system in place, don't hold your breath. Expect to wait years before they even do con-current releases.
gorbal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:44 am Reply with quote
Where are all these howlers ye speak of?
Actually, I have noticed BL scanlators are more mature than your usual fandom.They have been king down titles when asked for years.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not into yaoi, but I'm ok with scantalators f**king up Libre's profit margin, since they helped kill CPM by not honoring contracts with the company. So I just love the irony of them bitching about copyrights when they refused to respect that of an American distributor. I guess the law only applies to everyone else but them. Rolling Eyes
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
I was going to dignify the above post with a intelligent response, then saw who posted it and decided not to bother.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
Where are all these howlers ye speak of?
Actually, I have noticed BL scanlators are more mature than your usual fandom.They have been king down titles when asked for years.

That is something to bear in mind. Many of the howlers arrive from forums of sites affected by legal action, and reflect the "knowledge" about the issues in question in the echo chambers of those sites.

So shutting down all the bootlegs on the parasite OneManga site and shutting down some scanlations of some BL scanlation groups is likely to generate different reactions.

Of course, the resident never-ending piracy discussion may take up residence here for a while, but the special sauce provided by the "new posters from elsewhere" brigade might be substantially different in this situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5