• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Firefighter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
I had no idea it was that unpopular. It's kind of amazing really. I'm glad I got all 20 volumes. It's awesome! Very Happy
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
I remember reading a volume (likely the first) of this in my highschool's library...

It was an amusing read. Definitely the kind of spirit-uplifting charm of many classic shounen series'.

If not for the fact that I'm not much of a reader (and considering the size of the series; I've never made it past the third volume for any manga series) I probably would've bought it myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
I loved the first volume but have been putting off buying the rest due to how much some of the subsequent volumes cost.
But give how small the print runs must have been, I guess I can understand why that's the case.

Anyway, definitely something I intend to come back to at some point.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
This seems like an interesting series. Sadly Rightstuf doesn't have volumes 1, 2, 6, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16, 17, and 20. Out of those anime corner store has volumes 1, 15, 17, and 20. =/

And the library I frequent is missing volumes 1-3 I think.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing VIZ did as low as possible print runs on later volumes..... I nabbed some random volumes of it here and there on sale, and loved it, reading a bit more via libraries. It's a fun, manic series with lots of guts, and some really big cliffhangers and hooks that push the story along at a great pace, with some realistic touches once in awhile to prevent it from being too over the top. For some reason VIZ published flipped and unflipped vesions of the first few volumes- I'm curious why that was done [flipped version to get mainstream audiences post-9/11?], though forget if it came out before or after they started mass unflipping their titles.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Daigo is indeed an excellent manga and one that I was happy to see Viz fully release. But, Jason, it really seems like Viz had no choice but to finish Daigo; even when titles like Ultimate Muscle, Bastard!!, and Saint Seiya (all three I'd love to see covered here but I doubt will... Except for Bastard!!, maybe) were getting their release schedules slowed down, Daigo was continually coming out once every two months. Either Shogakukan's contract stated that Viz couldn't slow down the release schedule, or this title just did so utterly horrible that Viz just wanted to get it finished as soon as possible!

While titles like Saint Seiya (which finished this past February), Ultimate Muscle (which will probably finish, since there's only two more volumes to schedule), and Bastard!! (which only recently has hit a snag of some sort) seemed to reach sales which could merit a slower release schedule, Daigo quite possibly hit such a low that Viz couldn't even think about taking longer to reach the end and just wanted to finish it up. Shame, too, as the 45-minute Daigo OVA was really good and I hear Soda's present work, Capeta, is another excellent story.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
THIS IS MY FIRST MANGA!
I never got around to reading the rest of it, but thats because my bookstore never got the rest of it, or Banana Fish! I'm still filling in gaps from when I was twelve. How sad is that.
But, yeah, this manga is awesome sauce.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Man, this is the kind of shonen I secretly want more of! No super powers, just a shonen spirit! I've got volumes 1, 2, 8-14, 16, I kinda got 8-14 and 16 at random, I read a bit of 8, which quickly lead me to 9 and even missing half the story to that point I still enjoyed myself and now with volumes 1 and 2 under my belt, should be easier to know wtf is going on so I can pick it back up again.

Interesting to know how badly it sold, it makes DC Comics sound like massive whiners about the CMX thing. And I might've gotten Nanase had I not heard about CMX's shutdown around the same time volume 2 or something came out.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His ability to find people and rescue them reaches David Blaine-like levels, and I have no doubt that if Daigo frisked me right now, he would find a couple of kindergarten-age children passed out from smoke inhalation in my pants.

I'm sorry but that line made me laugh waaaayyy more than it should've. Think I'll pass on this series, just doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but that was still an amazing line.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I've been SO excited to read this series… It just seems like something I'd really enjoy. Unfortunately, I've been putting off reading it until I own the entire thing… and it's proving quite hard to find all the volumes, as others have said.

Those sales numbers are PAINFUL to look out. Poor, poor, unloved series!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ed Chavez sent me a direct message and pointed out that "Megumi no Daigo" was also adapted into a short live-action movie: "Megumi no Daigo: Hajiba no Bakayaro" or "The Fire Scene Fool/Maniac." The artist, Soda, also drew some other firefighting manga.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Interesting to know how badly it sold, it makes DC Comics sound like massive whiners about the CMX thing. And I might've gotten Nanase had I not heard about CMX's shutdown around the same time volume 2 or something came out.

Viz was in a different position than CMX because Viz had Naruto and Bleach and Yugioh and all those other bestsellers. With the money they made from those, they could afford to throw away money on low-selling series, before the economic crash at least.

With CMX, it's more like a miracle that they managed to keep going as long as they did, since none of their titles were ever megahits. The miracle part is that despite that, they published some really weird and interesting stuff, unlike some other B-level manga publishers who concentrated on what they thought was 'safe' titles, like otaku and moe subjects.

Although if you include CMX as part of DC, then I guess it's true they had access to some cash. But they weren't an essential part of DC, and eventually DC had to amputate the fabulously interesting bleeding limb known as their manga line...
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Since Wildstorm [where CMX was housed- it's staff ran CMX] is closed now along with another DC imprint, Zuda, and the company is cutting down it's Vertigo staff and production schedule, I'm guessing it's less due to their manga not selling well, and moreso due to DC's new bosses from Warners wanting to rebrand the line and concentrate on the better selling, company-owned titles they could exploit in mass media.

It seems Naruto has floated many a poor seller at VIZ during the boom years- I wonder how many other titles they had in this range? It wouldn't surprise me if Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was around those levels....
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
This is a big favorite of mine, and exactly how I like shounen to be.
Really lucked out when I was able to buy 1-18 on eBay all at once, a year or two ago (and subsequently got the last 2 when they were published).

Capeta and Subaru by Masahito Soda are great titles as well, but we probably won't ever see them translated to English.
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Quote:
His ability to find people and rescue them reaches David Blaine-like levels, and I have no doubt that if Daigo frisked me right now, he would find a couple of kindergarten-age children passed out from smoke inhalation in my pants.

I'm sorry but that line made me laugh waaaayyy more than it should've. Think I'll pass on this series, just doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but that was still an amazing line.

This whole review made my day, starting with his crush on his high school teacher. Couldn't help but detour over to YouTube after this:
Quote:
Daigo [m]ust deal with escaped tigers, landslides, chemical spills, flood and more.

Like I needed an excuse to cue up the Ueno Zoo escaped tiger drill. I picture Daigo pouncing on the kitty much like he looks in that first page image. Only with more determined "grrrr".

I'd be tempted to pick this one up, but the availability issues nix that. Thoroughly enjoyed being introduced to it, though. Thanks for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2