• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traumacrazy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the leads molest themselves

How the heck do you molest yourself?

That's retarded.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Traumacrazy wrote:
Quote:
the leads molest themselves

How the heck do you molest yourself?

That's retarded.

What's retarded? Molesting yourself or Zac saying she was molesting herself?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Stop saying 'retarded'.

'Molesting yourself' is a pretty obvious turn of phrase. Glad to see the troll squad has shown up this early though.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't actually seen the episode, but I assume Zac meant "fondle and/or touch themselves in an obviously sexual manner." Seemed pretty clear to me.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have found that scene more pandering to move merchandise if they had done it again in the second segment or if it was longer than 30 seconds.

I can't see this as an otaku anime with all the dirty humor in it.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that something (that sounds like my sorta thing) will come up on here in a few days Anime smile I normally find this guide really helpful so something good should show up...
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Truth to be told (and I already about said as much on a certain imageboard) I kind of expected to hear a review like this from Zac on PSG. I am thinking that his "gimmick" so to speak, is to build market value about himself by being contrary. He saw the episode, and is clever enough to understand what kind of reaction it will get out of fandom. So he writes a review to push all the right buttons. It's not about writing a review, but about building a brand called Zac.
Traumacrazy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Molesting

You Keep Using That Word. I Do Not Think It Means, What You Think It Means.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Truth to be told (and I already about said as much on a certain imageboard) I kind of expected to hear a review like this from Zac on PSG. I am thinking that his "gimmick" so to speak, is to build market value about himself by being contrary. He saw the episode, and is clever enough to understand what kind of reaction it will get out of fandom. So he writes a review to push all the right buttons. It's not about writing a review, but about building a brand called Zac.

Because heavens forbid he have consistent taste and opinions that might be predicted by frequent readers, especially ones that disagree with yours! That can't be it, he must be a total troll! Secretly he loves everything you do because your view is the only one true way!
Quote:

I hate to side with the meanies here, Zac, but they are right:
mo·lest
1: to annoy, disturb, or persecute especially with hostile intent or injurious effect
2: to make annoying sexual advances to; especially : to force physical and usually sexual contact on
Source: Merriam-Webster.

So yeah, the turn of phrase has a nice ring but is incorrect usage.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Tenebrae wrote:

Because heavens forbid he have consistent taste and opinions that might be predicted by frequent readers, especially ones that disagree with yours! That can't be it, he must be a total troll! Secretly he loves everything you do because your view is the only one true way!

You said what I wanted to say better than I probably would have, so quouted for truth and all that.

Quote:
Quote:

I hate to side with the meanies here, Zac, but they are right:
mo·lest
1: to annoy, disturb, or persecute especially with hostile intent or injurious effect
2: to make annoying sexual advances to; especially : to force physical and usually sexual contact on
Source: Merriam-Webster.

So yeah, the turn of phrase has a nice ring but is incorrect usage.

But... maybe the girls are of two minds about it, perhaps even have split personalities, thus they are forcing sexual content on themselves and... uh, never mind.

How much you want to bet zac replaces the molesting sentence with something incredibly sarcastic now?
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I don't recall voicing my own opinion. We're derailing, but I'm not sure we've heard his real opinion. He has appearances to keep as the Bad Cop. That's what the markets expect, or the stock index will fall.

(fixed endquote tag)
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, my favorite time of year. Mid-terms are coming up, the trolls are out, and the Fall Preview guide is up.

Anyways, it looks like I'm going to be wary of PSG; I was initially curious about it because of the art style and frantic action, but Theron, Carl, and Zac all pointed out things that wouldn't sit well with me. (I'm not a fan of gross-out humor.) But I'll still check the first episode to see how I like it.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Can we stop talking about retards and start talking about, oh IDK, ANIME?

I should've known P&S would disappoint me. When I saw the previews, I knew something was wrong with this show. BUT I still want to check this out, considering it parodies one of the greatest Nickelodeon shows of all time, Invader Zim Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae seems to believe Zac is the Armond White of anime reviews... I disagree but lol at the thought
Fuhrer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Tenebrae seems to believe Zac is the Armond White of anime reviews... I disagree but lol at the thought

Haha, Its funny you should mention that because I was just thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. I would not be surprised to find that Zac and Armond White were in fact the same person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 57