• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Can we stop talking about retards and start talking about, oh IDK, ANIME?

I should've known P&S would disappoint me. When I saw the previews, I knew something was wrong with this show. BUT I still want to check this out, considering it parodies one of the greatest Nickelodeon shows of all time, Invader Zim Smile

See I find this hilarious. From the minute info started coming out, it's obvious this show was gonna be polarizing. Also, Zac's review only covers half of the episode, none of the stuff he mentioned is in the second part.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
^^This is such a "Haters gonna hate" show.

Unholy_Nny wrote:
Tenebrae seems to believe Zac is the Armond White of anime reviews... I disagree but lol at the thought

Armond White is like a pestilence on reviewing society and I don't know why people listen to his crap. How he's on Rotten Tomatoes is beyond me. Zac is far above that because his opinions aren't just "I hate this movie/show and I'm right and everyone else is wrong." So I can't really see them as the same.....

UNLESS HE'S A CLONE! *dundundunnnnn*
belliqua

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough I registered JUST to defend PSG.

I honestly think it's one of the very few shows that isn't rateable on a 0 to 5 scale, there's far too much in it that depends entirely on your own sense of humour and tastes. I personally peg it as an Invader Zim/Danny Phantom/Scott Pilgrim/Conker's Bad Fur Day 18+ mix, or something like that, it's much much closer to a western cartoon than anime in both art style and story structure. Giving it a zero just because it's not your personal taste is a little insulting, even if you hate absolutely everything except the art it deserves at least a 2 on that (the animation, though stylized, is always bold and smooth) and maybe another 0.5 on the music. I mean it has live action sequences too, c'mon! It's clear how much love and care went into making sure nothing else out there is like it.

There's nothing wrong with the sexy shoujo transformation sequence, it wasn't even 30 seconds long and yeah, even though it's fanservice it's obviously a parody of all other series as well. It's so oversexualised that it's ridiculous to hilarious.

Basically this is a plead, don't skip Panty and Stocking just because the reviews aren't favourable. Give it 23 minutes of your time and if you don't like it that's fine, but at least you're not giving a pass on something you could potentially enjoy.
newtype333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I must say, Zac Bertschy's review of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is pretty terrible. Yea, I can understand if you didn't like it, but I'd expect less blatant ignorance out of someone who is paid to watch and review anime.

If you'd seen other series from the Imaishi and Yoshinari such as FLCL, Dead Leaves, and Gurren Lagann, you'd have known this is right in line with what they do. It's not a "cynical marketing move", it's called comedy and style. And I don't know who you think you are--were you actually sitting there with them during the creation process? I think not, so who are you to say with such confidence that they threw a sequence in there just for profit? You're no one, and I'd appreciate it you didn't mindlessly insult the people who've created, and are still creating some of the most creative works we've seen in anime.

It is quite pathetic. Every other time I come here I see an article complaining about stagnation in anime yet when someone does something different you still complain and for stupid reasons. I can't believe people like you actually get paid to do this. I've got an idea: Maybe you should stop watching anime and do something else with your life since it's obviously not fun for you anymore.

But I guess that's just how ANN is. Everything is being ruined by "moe", fanservice, or whatever stupid thing you guys think is ruining anime at the moment and you lack the ability to look at anything objectively and rationally.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Remember folks: before you get your umbrage up too much, this is the Fall Preview Guide. The idea of the Preview Guides is to give you as wide a range of views as possible on as many shows as possible. Eventually we'll have like 5 or 6 opinions on almost everything. The reviews are barely in on any of these series. I haven't even put down averages on my little scorecard that I make each season.

(Dear Tezuka in Heaven, how many people are creating accounts just to bitch about Zac's review? Of course, come to think of it, I may originally have started my account to bitch about something, so... Embarassed Welcome to ANN, guys!)

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shichimi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
If nothing else, I think the previews have motivated me to decide for myself when I can. It does kinda suck that the animators felt the need to snap out of the advertised art style, though; for me that was the one thing that did look appealing.

Last edited by Shichimi on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
*Inserts oh so snarky grin* I love the irony, I hated P&S from the minute I saw it, and so many people jumped behind it "DURR HURR its different you can't say its bad, ITS BY GAINAX its PERFECT" Then Zac nags on it, and the very same people I see defend it turn on it without a wink

[expletive] Called it
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, put me in the 'love it' camp for Panty and Stocking. Something about how high energy it was just really attracted me. Also, the leads are delightfully crude. I'll be first in line if it gets licensed, especially if it keeps up the same pacing.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
If nothing else, I think the previews have motivated me to decide for myself when I can. It does kinda suck that the animators felt the need to snap out of the advertised art style, though; for me that was the one thing that did look appealing.

it's a whopping 60 seconds.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Craptastic.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Then why do it at all? ¬_¬

But like I said, I'll check it out. I often quite like foul-mouthed action.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Shichimi wrote:

Strange, I've heard several people defend that scene by claiming it wasn't even a full 30 seconds. So which is it? Razz

old_yoshi wrote:
Craptastic.

Umn, care to explain what you are refering to there? The shows the guide is previewing? The previews themselves? The posts in this thread?
belliqua

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Shichimi wrote:

Strange, I've heard several people defend that scene by claiming it wasn't even a full 30 seconds. So which is it? Razz

old_yoshi wrote:
Craptastic.

Umn, care to explain what you are refering to there? The shows the guide is previewing? The previews themselves? The posts in this thread?

Counted it, it's about a minute-ten. But it feels like thirty seconds, it's not like Zac implies where it takes up the second half of the segment.
Fuhrer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Shichimi wrote:

old_yoshi wrote:
Craptastic.

I clocked it in at exactly 50 seconds of "switched" art style. Nothing worth complaining about.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Then why do it at all? ¬_¬

Because they thought it would be funny?

The two scenes where the enemy is defeated actually cuts to a live-action model being blown up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 57