• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Play Arts Kai Edward Elric

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man those arms are just disgusting. I've been looking for an awesome Ed figure, but that's not it. Totally out of proportion.
hakojo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Awww, I like my older-model Ed...I'm not even a big fan of the character (I detest him, to be honest, but my Al plushie seemed so lonely, especially since my Mustang and Hawkeye minis had each other for company...), and I still think it's a pretty slick toy, for either display or for posing when bored. Plus his facial expression isn't quite as scary.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I've been really impressed with the Play Arts line,
especially the more recent additions to the Kai line. I
adore my Bayonetta action figure, and the more recent
"Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker" incarnation of Snake that
I picked up at AWAcon 2010 for 50 bucks is one of the greatest
things in my collection. And I'm also a fan of the regular Play Arts
line, and love the living crap out of my Cloud w/ Harley Daytona
and my Vanille action figure.

WHICH brings me to expressing disappointment at how unbearably
sucky this Edward figurine looks. Honestly, the older Play Arts
version of him was so much better (I don't own it, but I have a
friend who does; I do, however, own Al and Winry), and I'm a
bit confused at how something this junky came out of the production line.

What a disappointment, especially because I was considering
investing in this. Oh well...
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
You have no idea how much I appreciate this review.

It didn't look that horrible at first. It was okay. Then you removed the coat and I realized that there's no way in hell I'd buy it. (And I'm a huge fan of FMA.)
I mean, his automail arm is so low, it's not in proportion with his other shoulder and just makes him look...weird.
I guess I'll just search for another Ed figure or just buy a plushie. If I'm desperate I'll buy this one and just never removed the coat.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Little known fact: Edward Elric is a gibbon. If only they'd included some trees branches for him to swing around in, those arms would have been put to good use.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
The problem with the arms, aside from the shoulder gap, is more in the excessively large double elbow joint. Just look at those things, it's like he's got a three-segment arm with two elbows, it's massive! You can tell looking at the upper and lower arms that the sculptor had done it right, but whatever intern Koto put in charge of adding the articulation went way overboard on the elbows.

Otherwise, I do have one major beef with the review: in what universe is articulation like this considered "absolute basics"?? It has more points than your average figma or human Revoltech, which you praise for their articulation and neither of those lines feature double joints. Otherwise the articulation is pretty much identical to figma, just with a few of the points in slightly different places. Aside from a better ab-crunch rather than a slight waist bend I can't think of anywhere the articulation is lacking.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Girubaato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to say it doesn't look too bad...but only with the coat on.
Seeing the horrible gap in the shoulder joint for his automail makes me cringe, and I also have to agree with the droopy shoulders thing. The attention to detail in the sculpt is always a bonus though. ^^ Plus, the articulation looks okay to me, but I'm not that into buying figures so I could easily be wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I adore Ed, and am a big FMA fan - it's just that I don't massively like the figure. I'd pernamently keep the coat on if I had it, only taking it off to switch the arms. I just googled the older one and I actually prefer it.

On a (slightly) unrelated note, have any hardcore FMA fans noticed the date this has been posted on? If not, "Don't forget". (Cookie to those who haven't and understand what I mean, because I forgot until I opened up Deviantart on my firefox this morning and saw a couple of little tributes on there)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Wowza, the proportions are totally off on that figure, guess I'll stay way away from it.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Good lord. That figure is hideous. o_O The arms are bad enough with the coat on, with the coat off they're just ridiculous. What is with his automail arm being halfway down his torso, anyway?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
What an awful figure. It looks nothing like Ed, and the joints are absolutely disgusting.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Sort of sad to say that I actually have that figure... -_-
Yeah, I noticed how long his arms were...
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
the arms look really awful, especially when they're posed :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's not a bad figure (I agree with the arms), I've seen it at a few anime stores along with the Metal Gear Solid Snake figure and the Bayonetta figures. My only problem is the 39.99 price tag for the figures where the old version from KH and FF were like 20-30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1