• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, wait a minute. Bandai announced something good that will please fans? That hasn't been done in a while. I'm sure they'll screw it up somehow. (All joking aside, looks like I've got some BD' and DVD's to save up for)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm really happy to see Bandai releasing Mobile Suit Gundam in both Japanese and English audio for the first time, but i'm a bit upset the 13th episode which was (by Tomino's request) not to be put on the new R1 DVD.

You're not missing anything. It was a throwaway episode and probably shouldn't have been made in the first place.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I feel like an old lady. I remember people being LIVID when a company dared to mess with the original Japanese songs. Now people are angry that they're not changing songs. Times have certainly changed. (I'm not judging either way, just making a comment about the change in fandom's expectations. I don't watch dubs, so the issue is irrelevant to me).

And also--Bandai just made my husband's day. I have a feeling we will be pre-ordering original Gundam. I've thought about tracking down the original discs from the previous release for him, but randomly some of them are way overpriced on half.com.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I assumed I was never going to get to buy Gundam dubbed, so I bought the three movies Sad

They're better anyway, but I love that dub.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time on Blu-Ray makes me happy.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Bandai!! Tales of the Abyss, original Gundam DUBBED!! Now just get us Gundam X, Tales of Vesperia movie, let alone Namco Bandai getting the bloody game already, and they'll be the best!

Yes, same here, buying both of those and would also love for Gundam X to be next! Smile

I also second the "c'mon NB", bring the damned Vesperia movie and PS3 version over here already you losers Sad

Awesome news on Solid State Society finally getting a BD release! And will definitely be picking up The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on BD too.

Great news that we'll finally be able to have a real set of original Gundam with both the dub and sub tracks Smile

The way the paragraph is written is a bit odd so I hope Bandai explains, but it seems weird that it doesn't sound like the Gundam 00 movie getting both a BD/DVD release here? It's already a shame that so far we aren't getting BDs of the series but they could at least give us the movie since Bandai's done a few movies on BD in the US. Still even if we currently only get a DVD version it's good that they are announcing it so soon, hopefully the wait won't be too long after the final series set, can't wait.

Edit: Oh, on that transcript it looks like they didn't say no yet but still sadly didn't say whether or not at least the 00 movie will get a BD here yet (or the series), just that as expected it's getting both dub and sub just like the series.

Edit 2: Wow, K-ON's getting a regular and limited edition BD release here to go with the RE and LE of the DVD, very nice for fans of the show.

NJ_ wrote:
In other Gundam news:

bayoab wrote:
11:50:02 <bay> turn a gundam, dub? no plans

Wait, what? I thought I read that they said they were going to dub it when they first announced it? That's a shame.

Reading the bayoab transcript of the panel, TSRI's been taking pre-orders for Unicorn BD 2 for months too, so I hope that he just accidentally left out the third store or they clarify that soon since I've already got a pre-order placed there...

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, I am so happy! With the original UC Gundam coming back in an affordable form, with subs, and UC Unicorn on DVD, this is a great day for UC Gundam fans. Thanks, Bandai!
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
On the other topic, why the HELL are people getting mad over an Anime company not Dubbing Japanese voiced songs in an Anime? Do they not understand how A)Difficult and B)TERRIBLE that would be be? Because that's what it would be. Difficult with terrible results. Music isn't like spoken words, the translation doesn't always fit the accompaniment, not to mention the sound of certain Japanese words work in the song, but English words would not.

You've never heard of Cristina Vee. People in the dub loop were really happy when she was announced as Mio because she is famous for singing really good English-dubbed translations of anime songs. To have her play Mio but not have her sing is a bit of a back-handed slap to the people looking forward to her performance.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
On the other topic, why the HELL are people getting mad over an Anime company not Dubbing Japanese voiced songs in an Anime? Do they not understand how A)Difficult and B)TERRIBLE that would be be? Because that's what it would be. Difficult with terrible results. Music isn't like spoken words, the translation doesn't always fit the accompaniment, not to mention the sound of certain Japanese words work in the song, but English words would not.

You've never heard of Cristina Vee. People in the dub loop were really happy when she was announced as Mio because she is famous for singing really good English-dubbed translations of anime songs. To have her play Mio but not have her sing is a bit of a back-handed slap to the people looking forward to her performance.

I am 50/50 on the dubbing.

50% of me is saying "Thank god they decided to even GET a dub instead of releasing it subbed and forcing me to keep the entire series on my hard drive and not buy the release. Besides, like everyone else has said in the other pages, they barely sang during the series. All you're really complaining about is "Why isn't Bandai dubbing the songs in episode 6 and 13?"."

NOW, 50% of me is also saying "If Funimation was able to dub the full version of Beck songs into english, and Bandai had the nerve to have Wendee Lee sing the FIRST VERSE of "God Knows", then why in the name of God in Heaven can't Mio and Yui sing the songs in K-ON? Besides, even during Anime Expo, you had Christina Vee SINGING the songs, so why isn't she doing it for the dub?"

Honestly, i'm just really glad they're releasing the CD's with the show. I'm definitely splurging on the LE's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
1) Dubbed songs are are a mixed bag.

2) Christina Vee is awful.

Whatever happened to leaving Japanese songs alone? You'd rather have a dubbed version even if it's sung by someone with no talent? It'll be the Bubblegum Crisis dub all over again.

Not that K-On interests me much, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
K-ON! Limited Edition Blu-Rays... my wallet... Just hope it isn't another Bandai Store shared exclusive with Right Stuf. If I'm going all the way I want to have buying options to be sure I get the best price.

Cassandra Lee is Cassandra Lee Morris (aka Meghan McCraken according to IMDB) right? Her last name seems to have been cut off in the announcement and put in the Encyclopedia that way. She does anime roles and her Twitter account (looked it up) said she had a "big announcement coming today" at NYAF.
Her acting is OK, but all of her roles seem to be mostly kid voices, not sure that they fit Ritsu well (here's her demo reel).

Can't find too many examples of Shelby Lindley's work, just this video of her singing about Ron Paul. She might be able to pull off Mugi well. Strange that they've gathered a bunch of people that act and are musically inclined, but aren't redoing the songs in English. Then again, if they DID dub the songs I'm sure there would be just as many people complaining about how awful that is. I'm just glad we're getting an English release.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanjo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't stop smiling after I read this. The original Gundam, with both Sub and Dub versions... where is that pre-order button?!

But really, I'm incredibly happy for this. I do have the first movie trilogy DVDs that Bandai printed a long time ago before re-release a few months ago, but I love the English dub of the TV series...

I'm so glad Bandai is making progress with the old Gundam stuff. Now can we get the Universal Century novels, namely Hathaway's Flash? Embarassed
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
K-ON! Limited Edition Blu-Rays... my wallet... Just hope it isn't another Bandai Store shared exclusive with Right Stuf. If I'm going all the way I want to have buying options to be sure I get the best price.

Cassandra Lee is Cassandra Lee Morris (aka Meghan McCraken according to IMDB) right? Her last name seems to have been cut off in the announcement and put in the Encyclopedia that way. She does anime roles and her Twitter account (looked it up) said she had a "big announcement coming today" at NYAF.
Her acting is OK, but all of her roles seem to be mostly kid voices, not sure that they fit Ritsu well (here's her demo reel).

Emerje

Ohhh, nice sleuthing there! It'll be great if someone can confirm that! Razz
scorpionmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kudos for Bandai for getting some more gundam stuff out there.

Now on to the K-on! issue. Who decides how they market it? quite frankly the last few releases have been bandai store only exclusives....and I think that's just wrong. Not only that but it hits pretty hard on the wallet if you do buy at the store.

Although it wasn't mentioned that it will be a bandai store exclusive, I think that it should be a wide spread release. I think it's pretty dumb that they decided to spread the first season across 4 volumes when the first season is only 13 episodes (14 if you count the OVA) And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they recently release the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya in it's entirety as just one box set? And on the note of the songs not being dubbed in english, didin't they dub the haruhi songs in english with wendee lee singing? It just seems wrong not to have dubbed versions of the songs in K-on! and there are quite a few of them. If you don't like the dub you can always watch the sub. But not releasing it as one set....that's just dumb. And you know that within a year of it being released (whenever that is because they will most likely delay it when the release date approaches) there will be a complete collection.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sanjo-chan wrote:
I couldn't stop smiling after I read this. The original Gundam, with both Sub and Dub versions... where is that pre-order button?!

But really, I'm incredibly happy for this. I do have the first movie trilogy DVDs that Bandai printed a long time ago before re-release a few months ago, but I love the English dub of the TV series...

I'm so glad Bandai is making progress with the old Gundam stuff. Now can we get the Universal Century novels, namely Hathaway's Flash? Embarassed

I hope everyone realizes that this MS Gundam release will have an all new dub. Not the dub from the previous DVD release ofthe series. That series was edited for American TV broadcast that dub wouldn't fit the original series.

Which is why that release didn't have subs, the japanese dialog no longer fit the new cut.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Any release date for the Gundam 00 movie?
And when will we get the series and all on BD!?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9