• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment [2010-10-09]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The news of the dual-language Gundam sets will make many people happy- considering the dub was unedited, it should make a solid release for those who don't have the series.

TurnAGundam being subbed only is okay by me- I'm just glad to be getting the show.

Are they planning on releasing the Gundam OO Tv movies? I guess since those are compilation films maybe they're waiting to see how well Gundam OO does in the long run.

K-On being singles is interesting to see, though since it's a short series, makes enough sense. With that, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space , Dura Dura and other releases, it sounds like Bandai has a lot of good stuff in the production pipeline.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, they wouldn't need to redub the original Gundam, since the existing dub is pretty damn good, so there was no need to announce that they aren't. Good to have the original Japanese track now. I love Torhu Furuya et al.

No Turn A Gundam dub is a little disappointing, but given the lack of quality in the Gundam 00 dub, maybe that's for the best.

Between the original series, Turn A, and Unicorn, I'm going to be one broke Gundam geek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rabrek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Crunchyroll-branded DVD of 5 Centimeters Per Second is available for pre-order and will be available for sale exclusively on Bandai Entertainment's online store

I'd very much like to buy this, but the "exclusively at the company store" model is unattractive to me. After my credit card information was compromised for the third time, I broke the streak by sticking to a list of trusted retailers. (No offense to Bandai's online store, but I'm not going to vet them for one title.) That said, it would be nice if the release does well.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
wrote:
First up came an introduction to the Bandai Entertainment online store, launched earlier this year, followed by Gundam Unicorn volume two, which will be released on November 12, 2010. The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya and Nyoron! Churuya-san Part 1 is currently available only at the Bandai online store or at the company's booth.

Yes! I loved Haruhi-Chan and this is going to go straight onto my shelves pretty soon.

wrote:
The Crunchyroll-branded DVD of 5 Centimeters Per Second is available for pre-order and will be available for sale exclusively on Bandai Entertainment's online store, but its release date is still to be announced. A trailer was shown.

Hated this movie, but I guess this will be good for fans since ADV isn't around anymore.

wrote:
Available at stores in general are Gurren Lagann the Movie -Childhood's End- and Gurren Lagann the Movie -The Lights in the Skies are Stars-.

This just makes me want to continue Gurren Lagann even more! Anime cry

wrote:
The panel then moved into announcements:

#1 - Mobile Suit Gundam, which will feature both English and Japanese language dubs, sold in two parts as Anime Legends.

#2 - Gundam Unicorn DVD; Bandai already had the license for Blu-Ray but they have now acquired the DVD license and will release it in three parts, with two episodes per DVD. Specs and release date are to be determined.

Once again, more Gundam. This series will never die, will it?

wrote:
#3 - Christina Vee, voice actress of Mio Akiyama in the upcoming English dub of K-ON!, announced two new cast members for the dub: Cassandra Lee as Ritsu and Shelby Lindley as Mugi. The series will be released in DVD, DVD Limited Edition, Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray Limited Edition starting in spring of 2011.

The news i've been waiting to hear. I'm scared of how this is going to turn out considering this will be Cassandra's first role ever, and Shelby's only big role was in Nanoha, but Bandai has never let me down with dubs so I still have faith. Plus YES on releasing Limited Editions. This means the line of SE's continues. Now I just need Lucky Star SE Wink.

Also with news about the songs being kept in Japanese, this makes the series in dubbed more interesting. Will the dub sync in with the subbed when the songs come on and comparisons start rolling in or not? Only time will tell...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
The news of the dual-language Gundam sets will make many people happy- considering the dub was unedited, it should make a solid release for those who don't have the series.

TurnAGundam being subbed only is okay by me- I'm just glad to be getting the show.

Are they planning on releasing the Gundam OO Tv movies? I guess since those are compilation films maybe they're waiting to see how well Gundam OO does in the long run.

K-On being singles is interesting to see, though since it's a short series, makes enough sense. With that, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space , Dura Dura and other releases, it sounds like Bandai has a lot of good stuff in the production pipeline.

Yeah, can't wait, finally a complete release of original Gundam and even both audio tracks for total awesomness, totally buying that, been waiting forever.

I can live with it as well since it's rather old though that doesn't make it any less extremely disappointing and since we've gotten dubs for all of the major series so far and this is one of the long wished for series, just totally disappointing.

I think they'll probably do the 00 compilations, but with them still waiting on the fourth and final S2 set and them seemingly looking to release the new movie as soon as possible after they finish dubbing it they probably don't really know when they'd fit it in since they've got to dub the new movie first.

Yeah and it looks like K-ON's even getting a BD release here too, interesting release set up.

penguintruth wrote:
No Turn A Gundam dub is a little disappointing, but given the lack of quality in the Gundam 00 dub, maybe that's for the best.

Between the original series, Turn A, and Unicorn, I'm going to be one broke Gundam geek.

Even if it was uneven and could have been better or better cast for a few characters it was still quite enjoyable, so in my opinion not for the best I'd rather have a dub that gets mixed reactions than no dub.

Indeed, the awesome sounding 00 movie and all that UC goodness will make me broke before I even put myself in debt for all the other anime titles I've got on pre-order like Canaan and the several big last 3 months and early next year's onslaught of PS3 (and PSP) games. My wallet's going to kill me...
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Perhaps I'm just not seeing it in the article, but what makes you think K-ON! be released as singles? Everything that I've heard indicated a series set.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Perhaps I'm just not seeing it in the article, but what makes you think K-ON! be released as singles? Everything that I've heard indicated a series set.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-09/bandai-ent-adds-1st-gundam-tv-with-english-subs This article

"K-ON! is being released in four parts, with a suggested retail price of US$29.98 for each part on standard DVD. Bandai Entertainment does not plan to redub the songs in English."

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-01/bandai-entertainment-adds-k-on-anime And this one
"Bandai Entertainnent's license currently extends only to the first series, as opposed to the ongoing second series, K-ON!!"

Therefore, we'll be getting 4 dvd/blurays with 3-4 episodes each (14 eps overall). I imagine it might of been a stipulation for the bluray release. Personally, it's not a deal breaker for me- I mean, in the past few years we still had a few shows that have had single releases, Bandai has been doing Hayate like that, did Haruhi and Lucky Star like that, and we *are* getting a dub. Things are what they are, and I've heard good things about the show.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thanks. That update must have been posted after I read the news item this morning.

BTW, I'm not sure what the relevance of the second link may be, unless you for some reason you consider K-ON!! not to be a separate, sequel series to K-ON!. Razz
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Ah, thanks. That update must have been posted after I read the news item this morning.

BTW, I'm not sure what the relevance of the second link may be, unless you for some reason you consider K-ON!! not to be a separate, sequel series to K-ON!. :P

I mostly meant it to clarify in case anyone had any confusion and thought they had the 2nd series, and it was going to 6/7 episode minisets across 4 sets like Bandai's done with the 2nd 1/2 of Code Geass and with Kurokami. Just trying to keep all blathering potential in mind :)
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping that they'd have some news about the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie. Seeing as how it's coming to DVD in December in japan. I thought they'd try to do another simultaneously released DVD like they did with Gundam Unicorn Ep. 1. Which would make a nice christmas present, but I guess not.

But I guess that would be kinda overkill with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 & Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya part 1 DVDs coming out in the last month.

I really don't expect a re-release of MSG with dual-audio to do too well in sales. They've re-released the dub-only DVDs enough that people have already moved on from it. The 3 movie trilogy is the way to go anyway considering how slow the tv series can progress at times(not to mention it has better animation).

Last edited by tangytangerine on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Paploo, I'm just feeling a bit punchy after a long day and the simulcast news. Really, I think we should be blaming KyoAni for its less than obvious naming conventions. God help us all if the upcoming film is simply called, "K-ON!!!" Smile
Annf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
After my credit card information was compromised for the third time, I broke the streak by sticking to a list of trusted retailers.

You may want to check and see if your credit card issuer offers virtual numbers (user-selectable expiration date, user-selectable credit limit, and can only be used at the first retailer to use it). My Discover card and MasterCard both do.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, a great showing Bandai! That's why you're my favorite!

Finally, FINALLY we get the announcement I've been waiting for! The Gundam 00 movie is getting dubbed! I can't wait!

And then the original Mobile Suit Gundam is being released on DVD? Fantastic!

Turn A Gundam is something I have been looking forward to see for a while, frankly it doesn't matter to much to me that it won't be dubbed because I'm just glad I'll finally get to see it.

While I don't care about this personally, I hope the announcement that the K-ON songs will stay in Japanese in the dub will shut up some of the fans' whining, it was getting on my nerves.

I very much like seeing all these Blu-Ray releases too! It may even be restoring some hope in me that we'll get the Gundam 00 movie on Blu-ray as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
I was kinda hoping that they'd have some news about the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie. Seeing as how it's coming to DVD in December in japan. I thought they'd try to do another simultaneously released DVD like they did with Gundam Unicorn Ep. 1. Which would make a nice christmas present, but I guess not.

But I guess that would be kinda overkill with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 & Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya part 1 DVDs coming out in the last month.

I really don't expect a re-release of MSG with dual-audio to do too well in sales. They've re-released the dub-only DVDs enough that people have already moved on from it. The 3 movie trilogy is the way to go anyway considering how slow the tv series can progress at times(not to mention it has better animation).

That definitely would be over kill, as it may be a better business decision to spread out the releases more.

Do you honestly believe that people can even find those DVDs anymore? Frankly I believe this release was necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the price point will be on Turn A Gundam. If no dub means it's quite cheap then I wouldn't mind. It would help offset the length of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3