• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm still looking forward to seeing it. 00 wasn't one of the better Gundam programs, but it was exponentially superior to anything in the Cosmic Era programs, and fairly decent overeall. Also, I like Mizushima as a director.

I'm actually pretty interested in the ELS. Conceptual aliens are a lot better, IMO, than humanoid aliens, if there are to be aliens in Gundam. The more alien they are, the better, because Gundam already deals with humans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Here's the question is it as bad as Mizushima's last movie where he had 1,000 racist germans in armor trying to take over a country with a standing army of 1 million armed with tanks.

Personally I always found Mizushima to be a hit or miss director because he relies on you agreeing with him. The problem with Gundam 00 and from what I heard the problem is the same with the movie is that Mizushima is from a country where 99% of the country is Yamato Japanese, and since he can't look outside the box he can't understand different cultures. This is brought up with the ending of the movie where spoiler[humanity is evolving into innovators] never understanding that he basically setup the main conflict of the U.C universe (newtypes vs. oldtypes) and C.E universe (Coordinators vs Natural). That and I found the main theme of the series that war is caused by misunderstanding to be incredibly moronic. I can safely say that North Korea, didn't go into South Korea looking for nachos. I also found Gundam 00 to be lazily written with the Innovators being quite obviously the same guy just with a different hair cut.

Hearing from Mike makes me question if I should even bother watching this movie considering the last time Mizushima made a movie. I usually agree with Mike Toole from when he was running Anime Jump, so I consider him above all others a reliable voice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Here's the question is it as bad as Mizushima's last movie where he had 1,000 racist germans in armor trying to take over a country with a standing army of 1 million armed with tanks.

They expected to find an unarmed island paradise, not an entire world full of armed soldiers. And by the time they came over they had the power of the Gate, so it hardly mattered.

Quote:
That and I found the main theme of the series that war is caused by misunderstanding to be incredibly moronic.

The theme was that a better understanding can help guide us, not that it will automatically fix everything.

Yeah, it's a bit of a simplistic message. But it's a giant robot cartoon for selling model kits. It's better than the clusterfuck themes of SEED.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I really just can't agree with this review at all.

While polarizing, I didn't think it was a bad movie. There were things that could have been done better but it at least left me feeling okay about it at the end.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

They expected to find an unarmed island paradise, not an entire world full of armed soldiers. And by the time they came over they had the power of the Gate, so it hardly mattered.

Quote:
That and I found the main theme of the series that war is caused by misunderstanding to be incredibly moronic.

The theme was that a better understanding can help guide us, not that it will automatically fix everything.

Yeah, it's a bit of a simplistic message. But it's a giant robot cartoon for selling model kits. It's better than the clusterfuck themes of SEED.

They had Hohenheim captured, you would think "Where are you from, and is your country armed?" would be an important question.

Also I don't agree that you can just write off mecha shows as giant robot cartoons for selling model kits. G Gundam, Gundam 0080, MSG, Turn A Gundam, Endless Waltz, GaoGaiGar, Gundam Seed, Gunbuster and Giant Robo are all fantastic shows, and SRW: Original Generation is a fanatastic game series, and Metal Wolf Chaos is an incredible parody of american blockbuster movies like Independence Day, and Air Force One.

Also I like the fact that Gundam Seed tried to emphasis that while Coordinators, and Naturals living together will improve relations, their is no easy way for humans to make peace.
hacksawlol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, this review is just nothing but a rant. It's just really pathetic hearing these fanboys' bias thoughts of a Gundam series or a movie. Seriously, who hired this amateur.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only person on the planet who actually liked Gundam F91? Think I'll wear that crown with pride Anime smile + sweatdrop
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
I guess I'm the only person on the planet who actually liked Gundam F91? Think I'll wear that crown with pride Anime smile + sweatdrop

It was okay. If you think of it as one giant chase scene.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Sounds disappointing. I mean, I could never really get into the 00 series.
I like Mizushima(The 1st series is just something I can't let go of...) but this series was the definition of the word "unbalanced".

1st season: spoiler[Almost everything prior to the arrival of the Trinity siblings was bland, stagnant, and distant.] Not to mention that it's ending didn't even leave that much of an impression...

2nd season: While definitely more addicting it was spoiler[becoming a "run around, and find the reason to fight" game.] Sure it was entertaining. But... they could've cut out nearly 70% and replaced it with more true development(spoiler[2nd Season's Lockon having a relationship in just... 1 episodes time? Nuh uh, doesn't fool me!]), better drawn out characters, and an overall better ending.

And if this movie is similar to Endless Waltz in that it just... provides more "fanservice" for it's respective fans. Then......

Similar to my situation with the Key series(I prefer Air over Clannad), The SEED series still, to this day, remain triumphant.

Quote:

Then I guess I'm the type of person that prefers a big theme/message to my big mecha fights!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
hacksawlol wrote:
Ehh, this review is just nothing but a rant. It's just really pathetic hearing these fanboys' bias thoughts of a Gundam series or a movie. Seriously, who hired this amateur.

Did you just call THE Mike Toole an amateur? The Mike Toole who ran the best anime review site ever in Anime Jump? The man is a legend in anime reviews having been doing it for about 15 years.

Doesn't flying headless goku mean anything to you?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed 00 and I respect Mike's opinion, but I'm still optimistic that this'll be decent
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Sounds disappointing. I mean, I could never really get into the 00 series.
I like Mizushima(The 1st series is just something I can't let go of...) but this series was the definition of the word "unbalanced".

1st season: spoiler[Almost everything prior to the arrival of the Trinity siblings was bland, stagnant, and distant.] Not to mention that it's ending didn't even leave that much of an impression...

2nd season: While definitely more addicting it was spoiler[becoming a "run around, and find the reason to fight" game.] Sure it was entertaining. But... they could've cut out nearly 70% and replaced it with more true development(spoiler[2nd Season's Lockon having a relationship in just... 1 episodes time? Nuh uh, doesn't fool me!]), better drawn out characters, and an overall better ending.

And if this movie is similar to Endless Waltz in that it just... provides more "fanservice" for it's respective fans. Then......

Similar to my situation with the Key series(I prefer Air over Clannad), The SEED series still, to this day, remain triumphant.

Quote:

Then I guess I'm the type of person that prefers a big theme/message to my big mecha fights!

Generally speaking from everything i have heard you can probably guess the ending a mile a way as the entire alien plot is simply a tailor made way for Mizushima to get his brain dead theme across.

Yeah I am just going to say this, it's pretty clear that Mizushima didn't understand Gundam, and in particular U.C Gundam as it's made perfectly clear that spoiler[psychic powers are not going to fix anything, and instead the next step in human evolution actually ended up causing wars as it caused an increase amount of racism that ended up becoming genocidal levels]
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Generally speaking from everything i have heard you can probably guess the ending a mile a way as the entire alien plot is simply a tailor made way for Mizushima to get his brain dead theme across.

Yeah I am just going to say this, it's pretty clear that Mizushima didn't understand Gundam, and in particular U.C Gundam as it's made perfectly clear that spoiler[psychic powers are not going to fix anything, and instead the next step in human evolution actually ended up causing wars as it caused an increase amount of racism that ended up becoming genocidal levels]

Yeah, in fact this review makes me question Carl's previous reviews.
Sure, 00 has an "intelligence based, highly addictive" narrative, but... what happens when you drive TOOO fast? You crash... and burn.

Mizushima... just needs to stick to human stories(Heck! Hanamaru Kindergarten was just glimmering full of his trademark emotions).
If anything, this what we've learned: He knows how to direct cutting edge animation, and he knows how to convey emotions.

Now... 00 didn't have one of those. It's best to stick with what you know than try something different abruptly.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight beat me to it.

I guess i was better off being bored out of my mind by the voice actors in NYC panel. I would have been very confused if i had actually been there watching.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:

I didn't think it was good, but I like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16