• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Air Gear GN 15-17 Omnibus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(there's a reference to 9/11 in one of Ringo's speeches that is in spectacularly bad taste).

Well that's just tasteless =\
RenaInnocenti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree with how tasteless that was...
I also must say that saying that it's dumb is tasteless. The series is beautiful, and the jokes are for true anime fans who really like to get Easter eggs with their anime or manga. In most cases you really have to look hard for them! It just adds another dimension to the story that most readers miss.

I mean, the 9/11 jokes are kind of allowed because because he has jokes about other sensitive subjects. The jokes may be in what some people call bad taste, but at least Oh!Great knows what he's talking about and knows what's going on in the world. And saying that a joke can't be said because it's sensitive material means that you're trying to censor a real event without trying to have a more positive outlook on it.

One of my favourite parts about Air Gear is how it creates massive suspense and how things keep building. So the "random cutaways and cryptic dialogue" aren't random as they pay tribute to what happens later in the series. It's going to be an "OH, so that's what he meant. Stars above!" kind of thing when you get there.

(And, I must say, Oh!Great's artwork is %200 better than his artwork in Tengo Tenge, so it hasn't gone downhill, it keeps getting better and more anatomically accurate with every panel.)

My final word is this: The book is rated OT for a reason. If you can't be mature about it, don't read it.

Last edited by RenaInnocenti on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
RenaInnocenti wrote:

My final word is this: The book is rated OT for a reason. If you can't be mature about it, don't read it.

Yeah, but it seems like Oh Great's definition of "Mature" seems to resemble that of an Image comic from the mid-90s
RenaInnocenti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
RenaInnocenti wrote:

Yeah, but it seems like Oh Great's definition of "Mature" seems to resemble that of an Image comic from the mid-90s

I wasn't talking about just his artwork, you know.
There are some very dangerous things he's doing in there.

Dangerous as in: spoiler[Sora's gang is a terrorist group and they really aren't good people. Threatening lives, killing little girls, almost chopping off certain body parts, and theft and things.] So, yeah. He talks about many sensitive subjects people would rather not touch.

If you can't handle the content, I say "Don't read it then."
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing? I love Air Gear and I enjoy it tons. I know damn well that there's nothing that nobody could say to make me like it less, as well. But even so....pretty much all of the flaws that were pointed out in this review are totally valid. Idk, even with it's flaws, guess I'm just gonna keep on lovin' it anyway.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
RenaInnocenti wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
RenaInnocenti wrote:

I wasn't talking about just his artwork, you know.
There are some very dangerous things he's doing in there.

Dangerous as in: spoiler[Sora's gang is a terrorist group and they really aren't good people. Threatening lives, killing little girls, almost chopping off certain body parts, and theft and things.] So, yeah. He talks about many sensitive subjects people would rather not touch.

If you can't handle the content, I say "Don't read it then."

If that's Oh Great's idea of "dangerous then...yeah, my point still stands that his writing chops fall somewhere around the level of Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarland
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1