• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so, Star Driver....

The first half was sort of overly fast introduction, and I imagine that we'll learn more about the characters later.

The second half..... WAS TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!! OMG!! IT MADE NO SENSE BUT IT WAS SO COOL!!!

And okay, yeah, this is obviously trading a bit on Utena's plot to say the least (Tetsuya = Saionji beyond a doubt), but I WANT TO WEAR TAKUTO'S SUIT! IT IS SO FLAPPY AND TWIRLY!! GAH!!!!

*ahem* For the sake of my dignity, we'll leave it at that. I want to see more. I also sort of don't like the group who's currently releasing it (they seem to think it's hilarious to stick the word "fag" in their chapter titles of every release; it's not). So SOMEBODY LICENSE THIS FOR STREAMING! I would pay $$, especially if it was in Hi-Def.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I just got around to watching the first episode of Squid Girl. Am now wondering if it might cause a reduction of sales for squid, and squid related products.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
It only seems to be a circle to you because even if you knew that you were only talking about the quality of streams on YouTube/Funimation, you didn't say that, but rather:
Quote:
Their streams are pretty low quality so I'd rather just wait for a DVD release.
... when you are not talking about the quality of Funimation's streams at all, but rather about the quality of streams over YouTube.

This comment makes absolutely no sense. Funimation streams through youtube. Funimation streams are youtube streams. If I'm talking about the quality funimation streams I am talking about the quality of youtube streams. The two subjects are obviously one and the same at least in this instance.

Quote:
You wished for the titles to be available to someone smaller, but if the titles were picked up by someone smaller who streamed them on Hulu and YouTube, you'd be in exactly the same boat, with the DVD quality or better 480p on Hulu losing quality when squeezed through the YouTube bottleneck.

Uh...what? Who else streams through youtube? None of the other companies that I know of or at least if the do they also stream though their own sites where the quality is higher and where they offer options to pay for even better quality. So this is really just a pointless hypothetical.
Mizuneko2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
For the shows that AREN'T on CR, FUNi, and G4TV, but were still reviewed, where are the reviewers watching them? I'm having trouble finding them.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
agila61 wrote:
It only seems to be a circle to you because even if you knew that you were only talking about the quality of streams on YouTube/Funimation, you didn't say that, but rather:
Quote:
Their streams are pretty low quality so I'd rather just wait for a DVD release.
... when you are not talking about the quality of Funimation's streams at all, but rather about the quality of streams over YouTube.
This comment makes absolutely no sense. Funimation streams through youtube. Funimation streams are youtube streams. If I'm talking about the quality funimation streams I am talking about the quality of youtube streams. The two subjects are obviously one and the same at least in this instance.
When you first said it, you hadn't yet mentioned that you excluding Funimation streams via Hulu or Funimation streams via Funimation.com. Everyone's Youtube streams suffer for being YouTube streams.

Quote:
Quote:
You wished for the titles to be available to someone smaller, but if the titles were picked up by someone smaller who streamed them on Hulu and YouTube, you'd be in exactly the same boat, with the DVD quality or better 480p on Hulu losing quality when squeezed through the YouTube bottleneck.

Uh...what? Who else streams through youtube? None of the other companies that I know of or at least if the do they also stream though their own sites where the quality is higher and where they offer options to pay for even better quality. So this is really just a pointless hypothetical.
Free legal streaming master list ... 4KidsTV, AnimeChannel, AnimeNetwork, Bandai, Crackle, Gong, Manga Entertainment, Media Blasters, Nozomi, Satelight Inc, TMSAnime and World Event Production.

Obviously only some of those stream through their own site at higher quality and with options to pay for even higher quality. And of course, Funimation streams elsewhere in higher quality and is likely to be streaming at their own site in higher quality after the relaunch.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
Mizuneko2 wrote:
For the shows that AREN'T on CR, FUNi, and G4TV, but were still reviewed, where are the reviewers watching them? I'm having trouble finding them.

They watched those shows via fansubs. If you want them, you'll probably have to track them down on your own, however, since AFAIK it's against the forum rules to ask for or provide links to unauthorized streams/downloads.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
When you first said it, you hadn't yet mentioned that you excluding Funimation streams via Hulu or Funimation streams via Funimation.com.

So what? You're complaining because I was slightly unclear initially? Jeez dude, get over it. It was just an offhand thought initially and when Vash mentioned Hulu I politely thanked her for her suggestion and clarified why that doesn't work me. This was all before you even entered the discussion. There's no reason whatsoever this is an issue.

Quote:
Obviously only some of those stream through their own site at higher quality and with options to pay for even higher quality.

You're outright wrong about AnimeNetwork and Manga and Crackle. They all have their own sites as well. Nozomi has a grand total of six episodes streaming. Stalelight, WEP and TMS have four obscure old series between them. You're trying to pad your list of counterexamples with a bunch of minor, obscure, old stuff that's obviously a pretty different situation.

I'll give you MediaBlasters and Bandai (for what they're worth with their handful of streaming shows) but that's it. You know what though, If I don't like MB or Bandai's streaming...I can buy the DVD. If you recall, this was my whole point initially. I don't even know what the hell we're talking about here as it relates to my original point.

If a DVD distributor wants to offer only low quality streams then that's fine. Obviously then they are basically just using streams as ads for their DVDs. So if I want better quality I'll just buy the DVD. On the other hand though, if a company just wants to be a streamer and isn't willing to put out a DVD then I need a high quality stream for it to be a viable alternative to fansubs. All the other vaguely major players offer me one or the other. S23, Media Blasters, Bandai, and Manga pretty much only stream stuff they've got for DVD where as places like Crunchyroll and (hopeully) ANN who don't put out DVDs give me the option to upgrade to higher quality. Funimation is the lone exception that offers neither in these cases. Hence they provide nothing of use to me and therefore I wish they wouldn't simulcast these noitaminA shows at all so maybe somebody who would provide something of use would pick them up.

Quote:
And of course, Funimation streams elsewhere in higher quality and is likely to be streaming at their own site in higher quality after the relaunch.

You're waffling. You're the guy who insisted a minute ago that "for the shows that you've got access to, you have the same DVD resolution as Hulu, once you switch the stream from 360p to 480p." Now you're telling me that Funimation's other, non-youtube streams are better.

Of course this is all irrelevant. I can't watch their other steams.
Cake Eater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
ANN's run by a bunch of hypocrites. They keep trashing fansubs when they themselves watch them. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Cake Eater wrote:
ANN's run by a bunch of hypocrites. They keep trashing fansubs when they themselves watch them. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

We have an official position on fansubs and an official policy on not promoting them. That does not, however, mean that we don't use them unofficially. The two are entirely separate so there's no hypocrisy.

Oh, and do try to put a bit more substance into your posts in the future. Blatant trolling won't be tolerated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
agila61 wrote:
When you first said it, you hadn't yet mentioned that you excluding Funimation streams via Hulu or Funimation streams via Funimation.com.
So what? You're complaining because I was slightly unclear initially?
You brought what you had said initially back into the discussion, and I was pointing out the mismatch between what you actually said and what you claimed to have said.

Quote:
Quote:
Obviously only some of those stream through their own site at higher quality and with options to pay for even higher quality.
You're outright wrong about AnimeNetwork and Manga and Crackle.
Wrong in what way? You claimed every single one of those on YouTube blah blah blah, and then conceded that it was another exaggeration.

Quote:
Quote:
And of course, Funimation streams elsewhere in higher quality and is likely to be streaming at their own site in higher quality after the relaunch.
You're waffling. You're the guy who insisted a minute ago that "for the shows that you've got access to, you have the same DVD resolution as Hulu, once you switch the stream from 360p to 480p." Now you're telling me that Funimation's other, non-youtube streams are better.
I doubt it was a minute. Since I am not burdened with the delicate sensitivity of your eyes, I have no trouble watching streams on YouTube when its the only option, but when I looked into it, it is indeed the case that while YouTube has the same resolution, it throttles back on the bandwidth and so the quality of Hulu 480p feeds that I am used to from Funimation are better than the, eg, Nozomi stream of Maria-sama ga Miteru that I watch on YouTube.

Quote:
Of course this is all irrelevant. I can't watch their other steams.
Clearly, if its left to the streaming hosts that you singled out on YouTube as also providing higher video quality streams available in Canada, if Funimation drops simulcast streaming as you proposed, your substitutes are mostly going to drop the ball.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

We have an official position on fansubs and an official policy on not promoting them. That does not, however, mean that we don't use them unofficially. The two are entirely separate so there's no hypocrisy.

... Uhm... I hate to break it do you, but promoting something, like not watching fansubs, while doing the exact opposite, like watching fansubs, IS hypocrisy.

As for the shows, I'm really enjoying Milky Holmes. I was expecting moe, and I got moe. I wasn't expecting most of the characters to be a little on the nutty side. I think Cordelia ate some of those mushrooms in episode 2, cause she was kind of acting like she was high. The torpedo nipple teacher is creepy as hell.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
Here's the fansub thing in a nutshell:

We don't use fansubs for the preview guide unless there is absolutely no legal way to watch the show while the preview guide is happening. Then we use the fansubs, because that's what everyone else on the planet is using and it's supposed to be a preview guide that is relevant to the audience that's reading it.

Preview guides are the only place where we cover fansubs, and even then, only when there is no other alternative. We've been sticking hard and fast to this rule (notice how the only person who reviewed Star Driver was Gia? Notice how she was the only preview guide participant who was at New York Anime Festival where the show had its official english premiere?).

We've been over this a million times now in previous preview guides and we've been doing it this way for years. ~fin~
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
Zac, what you said is correct, and I understand what you mean. I was commenting on Key's post, that while being quite humorous, says pretty much the definition of hypocrisy. He basically said " We're telling you not to do something, while unofficially, we're doing it ourselves". Read his post again, you'll see where I'm coming from.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Zac, what you said is correct, and I understand what you mean. I was commenting on Key's post, that while being quite humorous, says pretty much the definition of hypocrisy. He basically said " We're telling you not to do something, while unofficially, we're doing it ourselves". Read his post again, you'll see where I'm coming from.

Oh no, I get what you were saying. I always feel like I need to swoop in and re-explain things just in case there are people reading who don't understand my reasoning on the matter.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Wrong in what way? You claimed every single one of those on YouTube blah blah blah, and then conceded that it was another exaggeration.

I'm not entirely sure what this sentence is supposed to mean. I said none of the other companies that I know of make streams available to youtube only. Those three have their own sites as well so they aren't really counterexample to what I said. Outside of that, you had pointed out a few genuine exceptions that I was unaware of such as Bandai and Media Blasters. I acknowledged this and explained why, going back to the original issue, they aren't actually problematic examples.

Quote:
ikillchicken wrote:
You're the guy who insisted a minute ago that ...
I doubt it was a minute.

You know, even small children are likely familiar with the phrase 'a minute ago' being used to indicate a previous event but not specifically indicating that it occurred literally a minute ago. Hence, by feigning ignorance of such a basic manner of speaking for the sake of more pedantry, you're really only making yourself look foolish.

Quote:
Since I am not burdened with the delicate sensitivity of your eyes, I have no trouble watching streams on YouTube when its the only option, but when I looked into it, it is indeed the case that while YouTube has the same resolution, it throttles back on the bandwidth and so the quality of Hulu 480p feeds that I am used to from Funimation are better than the, eg, Nozomi stream of Maria-sama ga Miteru that I watch on YouTube.

Considering that you're basically admitting here that you didn't know what you were talking about initially, you might consider toning down the sarcasm a bit.

Quote:
Clearly, if its left to the streaming hosts that you singled out on YouTube as also providing higher video quality streams available in Canada, if Funimation drops simulcast streaming as you proposed, your substitutes are mostly going to drop the ball.

How so? It looks to me like every one of those sites listed falls into one or more of these categories:

-Offers better quality non-youtube streams (at least in addition to youtube streams).

-Only streams shows that they have also licensed to release on DVD.

-Only streams a couple very old and obscure shows rather than doing actual simulcasts.

So saying substitutes would 'mostly' drop the ball is untrue. Crunchyroll, ANN, Anime Network, S23, Bandai, Media Blasters, Manga, Nozomi. Literally every other even relatively significant anime company but Funimation would have me covered with either a decent stream or a DVD.

Could some tiny, obscure little site come out of nowhere to suddenly get into the simulcasting business and leave me with the same problem? Perhaps that's hypothetically possible and in the incredibly unlikely chance that it happened I could find myself in the same situation. Again though, it's a totally meaningless hypothetical. If some else picked up these shows instead of funimation, in all conceivable likelihood it would be one of the aforementioned companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 57