• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Corpse Bride

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Corpse Bride.

Hmmm, I didn't realize Tim Burton was in the anime business...

As for the closure issue, I'd say that both East and West media feature their fair share of open endings. Irrespective of how a story resolves though, I have a strong preference for the "anime format" that features the half/single full runtime bracket that we're familiar with, because I can never keep up with multi-season American live action series as a matter of habit--just like I can never commit to a forty to eighty hour RPG. Razz

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
so much MANGA. WANT. and the plushies! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Hmm.... I'm on the fence on trying out Corpse Bride.

I'm pretty much right there too ... will the several downsides outweigh the upsides enough?

by the third re-read of what Erin wrote, then adding on what's already been said in the forum here, i don't see how a min-maxxed (good analogy) show can end up being worth the cost -- unless i'm totally through with my current backlog of several series on my shelf still to watch ... plus it would need a super sale price. i can see a min-maxxed show being rental worthy, but with so many other shows out there -- even with horror and conspiracy being among my favorites -- i can't see adding this to my shelf. =(

luckily i've got a huge backlog of series right now in my binders that i haven't watched yet, so i can put off deciding ... maybe even for a few months.

Last edited by gartholamundi on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
But, back on topic, what annoyed me about Corpse Princess was where/how they decided to end it. All other loose ends aside, if they AT LEAST finished the fight episode 25 ended in the middle of, or even ended before the fight started, spoiler[with Makina deciding her new (un)life's purpose], I would have been fine with it. It annoyed me because they practically started another plot thread, which looked like it was going to carry on and be finished in the 26th episode, just to cut off right there and end it with a prequel episode.
It (the ending) was very reminiscent to Tenjho Tenge in my view. In both series, just as major characters come to an important internal resolution, and are ready to enter what should be the final battle that production crew pulls the plug. I believe Tenjho Tenge got an OVA the finishes it in Japan at least.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
A few (but not all) gripes with Shikabana Hime were:

1) The overuse of the words Shikabana and Shikabana Hime; every other word was one of these two, or both. After a while, it started to lose it's meaning, hearing it so often (esp. with it being exposition heavy in parts).

2) Aaron Dismuke - I liked his earlier performances in FMA and Fruits Basket (all his younger work), but if you thought Ouri's sub actor was wooden, then you're in for a treat here (not really).

Next to Luci Christian (Queen of the Dubs) and J. Micheal Tatum, Aaron's delivery was wooden, flat/one-dimensional, and screechy/nasal (frankly, puberty has not been kind to the lad). His range of delivery had two settings: normal indoor speaking voice, and yelling, with nothing emotive (or like acting) to speak of.

His performance picks up in the later half (just a smidge), but it's still pretty damned awful compared to Luci (and others) and his own earlier work, which I like much more to this.

That said however, Shika did have some pretty great moments, which makes this easily worth renting or owning if you choose.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
That's a bummer about Dismuke's performance. Still think I'll be riding dub for this series though, since yeah, Luci's awesome (and I want the details of that drinking game... anime drinking games have the potential to be fantastic from my experiment with friends and Elfen Lied).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Kudos for the "Spaceballs" reference!

(I really had nothing else to say...)
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Everyone keeps talking about the ending of Shikabane Hime, which is totally going to wreck my future review of it. If you keep lowering my expectations, even a bad ending might seem OK by the time I watch it...

Chrno2 wrote:
Thing is Makina skirt is soooooo short. I was like how the hell could she jump around and that thing not rise up. The answer to quote a friend, "it's magic."

The dead have eerie powers!

CareyGrant wrote:
1) The overuse of the words Shikabana and Shikabana Hime; every other word was one of these two, or both. After a while, it started to lose it's meaning, hearing it so often (esp. with it being exposition heavy in parts).

That got on my nerves after a while, too. In a much more deadly drinking game, you drink every time they say "shikabane". Whoever can get through one episode and maintain consciousness is probably an alcoholic. (Do not attempt.)

gartholamundi wrote:
by the third re-read of what Erin wrote, then adding on what's already been said in the forum here, i don't see how a min-maxxed (good analogy) show can end up being worth the cost --

I think I only read what I wrote about four times...!

In any case, I could've written a bit more about how most television animation ends up getting min-maxxed. The "A" team of animators and storyboard artists and animation directors are saved for special or action heavy episodes. To be fair, that doesn't always happen. Shows without much action and a high-ish budget end up looking consistent throughout (like Otoboku).
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
That's a bummer about Dismuke's performance. Still think I'll be riding dub for this series though, since yeah, Luci's awesome (and I want the details of that drinking game... anime drinking games have the potential to be fantastic from my experiment with friends and Elfen Lied).

With that exception, the dub is pretty good as are the dub commentaries (which are often more funny or entertaining than the ep. you just watched. I'm glad Funi went back to "value added" dub releases by providing commentaries).

And yeah, Luci Christian is awesome. I once watched Black Blood Brothers (an underwhelmingly horrid/forgettable anime -although, J. Micheal Tatum did well) *just* to hear Luci get her sultry on with Cassandra Jill Warlock. Yowzuh! Talk about smokin' hot! *giggity* I wish she'd get cast in more of the Vixen-type roles, like Stephanie Young or Colleen Clinkenbeard.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Everyone keeps talking about the ending of Shikabane Hime, which is totally going to wreck my future review of it. If you keep lowering my expectations, even a bad ending might seem OK by the time I watch it...

It's not really that the ending is bad, it's that the show finishes, and then there's a completely gratutious 30 seconds that serves only as sequel bait. The major plot issues are all wrapped up, and the only dangling thread is that spoiler[they don't finish off the main villain and the creepy girl, although they are very thoroughly defeated.] spoiler[Then the final scene shows them metaphorically nursing their wounds when Makina bursts full battle frenzy, and that's where it stops.] It's frustrating because had that scene not been included, there could have been implied resolution, but by including that half-minute, it is ripped away.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:
by the third re-read of what Erin wrote, then adding on what's already been said in the forum here, i don't see how a min-maxxed (good analogy) show can end up being worth the cost --

I think I only read what I wrote about four times...!

In any case, I could've written a bit more about how most television animation ends up getting min-maxxed. The "A" team of animators and storyboard artists and animation directors are saved for special or action heavy episodes. To be fair, that doesn't always happen. Shows without much action and a high-ish budget end up looking consistent throughout (like Otoboku).

I was thinking mainly of good plot and interesting story (max) vs ridiculous "inexplicabl[e]" T&A (min). i've had no interest in Strike Witches, and even HOTD, which got my hopes up for a good horror zombie fest, was quickly knocked off the list of things I'd be interested in for exactly that 'ridiculous "inexplicabl[e]" T&A' reason.

i'm apt to forgive tv series for having uneven animation due to budget constraints.

in cases of something like Requiem for the Darkness a lot can be hidden in an interesting, simplfied art style. Mushi-Shi is still among my favorite series, and still has some of the best backgrounds i've seen (totally deserved its award-winning status, IMO), but on the other hand there are no detailed, time-intensive fight scenes to animate, so probably fits into your "Otoboku" category (?). both those series show intelligent ways to min-max an animation budget.

then there are things like Samurai Horror Tales that nearly made me seasick switching back and forth from looking good to looking incredibly bad. but even there i found myself even forgiving that in order to get through the story, which didn't exist just to show off cartoon thighs and cleavage, or sell merchandise.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It's not really that the ending is bad, it's that the show finishes, and then there's a completely gratutious 30 seconds that serves only as sequel bait. The major plot issues are all wrapped up, and the only dangling thread is that spoiler[they don't finish off the main villain and the creepy girl, although they are very thoroughly defeated.] spoiler[Then the final scene shows them metaphorically nursing their wounds when Makina bursts full battle frenzy, and that's where it stops.] It's frustrating because had that scene not been included, there could have been implied resolution, but by including that half-minute, it is ripped away.

And then the smack in the face comes: there is 1 episode after this, and it is used as a prequel side-story.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

And then the smack in the face comes: there is 1 episode after this, and it is used as a prequel side-story.

I thought they pulled their Ol' "BS explains nothing" ending because the Manga was still on-going, thus their cop out. It's poor and incredibly lazy storytelling which drives me mad. There are ways to give an episodic ending that is satisfying even without a series ending.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is bothering me; it's Corpse Princess, NOT Corpse Bride.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It's frustrating because had that scene not been included, there could have been implied resolution, but by including that half-minute, it is ripped away.

And that's what bothered me about it. Well, and there was the "shocking truth revealed" twist of spoiler[what really happens when Shikabane Hime reach 108 kills] right before the end. Claymore ended sort of the same way, but because it didn't throw in a fake-out in the last minute, Claymore's ending didn't bother me at all.

Blood- wrote:
This is Anime Land, folks, we often don't get the neatly wrapped up packages that I guess so many Western viewers seem to crave.

It's not that it was inconclusive, it's that it threw in a fake-out in the last minute plus the fact that the next episode is a completely unnecessary prequel of two characters who have been out of the game since early on in the series. They had a whole extra episode to work with the spoiler[showdown between Makina and the last two Seven Stars] AKA: what should be the most climatic part of the series, but they just pushed that part aside for something that was no longer relevant to the plot. If that's what they were going to do, then why did they even bother with that 'final confrontation' scene? I don't see how that wouldn't bother someone who greatly enjoyed the series from the start (Me).
I'll go ahead and declare this since they're both in this Shelf Life review: My Bride is a Mermaid had a much more satisfying ending than Corpse Princess Razz .
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Part of this is because the actor for Ouri in the Japanese was so incredibly wooden. Did this get a dub? If so, I assume whoever played him was a massive improvement.

Yes, and Ouri was played by Aaron Dismuke Erin mentioned. My assumption going in is that that's going to be a good thing, only being familiar with him from (duh) FMA.

Yeah, I admit, I sometimes skim portions of Erin's reviews. Her writing style is getting better, but I find myself more intrigued by her off-topic discussions, if that doesn't seem too strange.

And yeah, Aaron Dimsuke was fantastic in the FMA dub (a soothing dead-on contrasted with the grate of a certain 40-year old not even trying to sound pubescent) and if he's as good an actor as an adult, then he'll be far better than the Japanese Ouri (it was his first role).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4