• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Corpse Bride

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Not to be confused with My Bride is a Corpse Mermaid, of course...

that awesome sequel to My Semi-Aquatic Undead Summer Romance

Don't forget the spin-off, High School of the Undead Mermaid Brides.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Hardgear wrote:

Western shows on the other hand seem to all be of the "let's keep making more until our ratings drop and management tells us we are cancelled, and hope we are given enough notice to throw together a decent ending" variety...

This is, unfortunately, semi-true. The way that Western TV shows are contracted, you never really know in advance whether you will be given enough time to really let a storyline carry out. That's why so many long-running TV don't have overarching story arcs beyond a few few episodes...

My husband always goes on and on about the tragedy of Babylon 5. (I only watched the crap-tastic season 1, so I can only relay this second hand.) Apparently J. Michael Straczynski wrote a story arc for the whole show over a few seasons. Then it wasn't renewed so he hastily wrote an ending for season four. Then the ratings went up and the network asked for a fifth season, which was nearly impossible to write since he'd finished a bunch of the arcs in the rushed ending.

I heard in Sailor Moon they killed off all the characters in the end of the first season before they heard they were getting a second season, but I only watched the dub so I can't quite remember how that panned out.

We were lucky on Codename: Kids Next Door to make a final episode for the series. (The show didn't have a bunch of arcs, but particularly the final season had some continuity.) Most shows wait to see if they'll get renewed between seasons, and it's just not conducive to writing.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Hey Erin, I watched all of Babylon 5. It did get better until the last season when they skipped an entire story arc, because once again they were getting cancelled! AAUGH! It was a good show but it could have used some consistency but I guess that's hard when you don't know when you're getting axed.

P.S. LOL at those Corpse/Bride/Princess/Mermaid titles!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
All this talk of (the lack of) serial continuity in Western programming makes me think of the irony of Lost. Give a show free reign for seven seasons and it turns out it amounts to a whole lot of nothing. Razz

At least, as Bamboo mentioned, we've got Mad Men. I don't watch it religiously, but it's an awesome show.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
All this talk of (the lack of) serial continuity in Western programming makes me think of the irony of Lost. Give a show free reign for seven seasons and it turns out it amounts to a whole lot of nothing. Razz

Of course, it DID have a definitive ending (that loads of people misinterpreted despite it being INSANELY CLEAR on what happened) and I loved it. They also answered more questions than fans give them credit for, and more have been answered online or on the Season 6 DVD epilogue. The only major unanswered question is what was with Jacob's cabin. Also, it was only 6 seasons long.

As for newer shows, I'm more into Breaking Bad than Mad Men, though I may try getting back into the latter.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

I heard in Sailor Moon they killed off all the characters in the end of the first season before they heard they were getting a second season, but I only watched the dub so I can't quite remember how that panned out.

That may be true, but Naoko Takeuchi killed them all in the first manga story-arc too. I don't know if that was because of similar reasons, but given that the whole theme of the manga (in my opinion, at any rate) is a continual cycle of death and rebirth until the mistakes of the past are undone, I think she may have done it on purpose. And it is everyone's first deaths that spoiler[causes Usagi to remember her past to the point where her hair grows out to the length it was in her past life], so either Takeuchi's an awesome spur-of-the-moment writer or something else was going on. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

That may be true, but Naoko Takeuchi killed them all in the first manga story-arc too. I don't know if that was because of similar reasons, but given that the whole theme of the manga (in my opinion, at any rate) is a continual cycle of death and rebirth until the mistakes of the past are undone, I think she may have done it on purpose. And it is everyone's first deaths that spoiler[causes Usagi to remember her past to the point where her hair grows out to the length it was in her past life], so either Takeuchi's an awesome spur-of-the-moment writer or something else was going on. Very Happy

Sailor Senshi get killed and revived practically every season in some way, so it is definitely a theme there.

Shikabane Hime is definitely unfinished. That's not a trick ending or some artsy bullcrap. The best hope for an ending is for the show to profit well for Funi so that they can pester Gainax or help fund an OAV series. Even then the chances seem pretty slim.

As for the animation quality in Shikabane Hime, episodes 14-19 are a bit lesser in quality compared to the rest of the series. But it never falls below acceptable.

Dubwise, Aaron was fine. He played a generic anime teenage male about the best you can play him. Ouri isn't the deepest character in the world. You really do only need two registers to play him. The original Japanese track actually isn't that well acted either, so the english dub may well be overall superior.

And EVERYONE looks bad when compared to Luci. I'm of the belief that she's one of the top 5 voice actors currently in the VA industry. That includes non-anime VAs. I think she's up there with current greats like Tress Macneille and Harry Shearer. No hyperbole. I keep thinking that one day she's going to leave anime and start doing better paying animated shows/movies, which would be a real loss for anime dub fans.

I would say the Shikabane Hime is a perfectly enjoyable "b" action show. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's entertaining genre stuff and hits its high points well. It's like Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake. Enjoyably disposable entertainment.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
As for the gameplay, I'd like to reiterate that I don't know that much about football, but even I know holding is illegal. There are a ton of fouls in this show, and I'm never sure if the rules are different in American football as it's played in Japan or if it's just that these kids are playing without any referees. Particularly in this arc against the Zokugaku Chameleons, a lot of flags should be thrown on those plays. (Of course, the high caliber weapons Hiruma uses to intimidate the rest of his team are probably illegal in Japan.)

As an avid fan of football, and someone who played it through college, I found that once I stopped nitpicking about their violations of the rules, and the absurdity of so many of their special moves and formations, I enjoyed Eyeshield 21 a lot more. But, these episodes you reviewed were kind of weak as I recall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4