• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Graphinica, Kelmadick to Make Last Hellsing OVA Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The Hellsing TV series is one of the worst animes I've EVER seen.

It was SOOO bad that I couldn't bear to finish it... even if it was ONLY 13 episodes!

I need an honest opinion... Is Hellsing Ultimate MUCH, MUCH better? And does it tell something that doesn't only amount up to gore and style?
Even if it doesn't, just someone tell me on a scale of 1 out of 10(pertaining to all anime of all kinds), how good it is.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the answer to your question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuD3xIay6z
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing Ultimate is based on the manga and follows it's storyline which is different from the television series which diverged and went on it's own path because it caught up to the manga. As for whether it's better or not, yes, it definitely is although it's still about massive amounts of gore, guts, gunfights, and killing vamps in style which is why it's so awesome.

The series was a 6 or a 7, the OVA is a 9.

Anyway, I hope this noob studio is up the job. I'm sad to see Madhouse has seemingly abandoned the project, since they're my favorite studio.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I've heard recently that Madhouse is in some bad financial trouble. This I can only imagine is a result of such trouble.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
One question, when are we getting the rest of the R1 releases?! I've been waiting for at least 2 years now! And they better be bringing back the original English VAs! Evil or Very Mad
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Q-Tec
<Twitch>
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I need an honest opinion... Is Hellsing Ultimate MUCH, MUCH better? And does it tell something that doesn't only amount up to gore and style?

Even if it doesn't, just someone tell me on a scale of 1 out of 10(pertaining to all anime of all kinds), how good it is.

Honestly, when the TV series was adapting the manga, I think it did some of the stuff better then the OVA did. Such as the fight between spoiler[Luke and Alucard].

If you didn't like any of the TV series at all then most likely you won't like the OVA's any more. The early part of the TV series follows the manga pretty closely until they run out of material and they start make crap up.

I'd give the TV series a 7 (my default rating for something I found at least enjoyable but had some problems). The OVA's I'd give an 8, this might not seem like a big difference but I'd say 85-90% of titles I rate a 7 or below, so an 8 is a big difference. The manga I'd give a 9.

However, if you think Hellsing is only about gore then you are missing a lot subtext in the series, some of it pretty obvious and some of it not so much. (I once read a great article about feminist roles and Hellsing, I can't find the one I read but if you google it there are several out there.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I've heard recently that Madhouse is in some bad financial trouble. This I can only imagine is a result of such trouble.

The OVA was really expensive to produce and apparently volume VIII was going to cost even more to animate than the others.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

a couple weeks ago on ANNcast when Zac was talking with Dark Horse both the guy from DH and Zac agreed the original tv show for Hellsing sucked and that Hellsing Ultimate was awesome. so ... take that for whatever it's worth to you.
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

The OVA was really expensive to produce and apparently volume VIII was going to cost even more to animate than the others.

I'm inclined to think that the production company had probably become fed up with Madhouse because of the continuing delays. The blu-ray boxset for Hellsing OVA 1-5 was originally supposed to be released in "early 2010" and was delayed several times before finally coming out this week. I'm assuming that Hellsing OVA 8 was probably not very far into production yet as a result of the necessity of redoing a lot of the animation of the earlier OVA episodes for the BD-box, preventing Madhouse from making their tentative "2010" release date for OVA 8. If OVA 8 had been more than half-finished, i expect Geneon Universal would have allowed them to finish it before handing over OVA 9 and 10 to the other animation studios.
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
so whens the dub of 5-7 coming to america?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
The Hellsing TV series is one of the worst animes I've EVER seen.

It was SOOO bad that I couldn't bear to finish it... even if it was ONLY 13 episodes!

The original Hellsing anime is a really bad adaptation, they don't even get into the main plot of Hellsing. Simply put the Hellsing manga/ultimate Hellsing, is an incredibly stylish battle where the rule of cool is under full effect.

I would give it an 8/10, it's not deep, but damn is it cool.
nechronius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

If Alucard's displays of macho posturing made you roll your eyes, then Hellsing Ultimate will make sure you go blind from the strain.

There are certainly aspects that are much improved from the original TV series and the animation is slicker and overall the plot seems better paced as we enter the third and final act, but overall we're not talking about a MUCH MUCH better series. I gave Hellsing (TV) a 7 (more like 6.5, but gave it the benefit of the doubt) and if Hellsing Ultimate somehow came to an untimely end, I'd give it a fairly solid 8. That's even forgiving the fact that Alucard never fails to remind you just how #^@$%&* AWESOME he is!

\m/ Anime hyper \m/

(tongue in cheek, mind you)

Still plenty of time for the show to derail itself or really pull off a masterful series. After all, it has mercs, vampires, virgins, Nazis, and KKKlanners. That's pretty epic stuff. Now if it had Nazis riding DINOUSAURS... Wink

One final note. I don't necessarily criticize an anime series for not being a faithful adaptation of a manga title. That is, unless the adaptation is completely botched much like Tara Reid's abdominal liposculpting.

Last edited by nechronius on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
So, has anybody else realized that this announcement implies that the last few episodes of Hellsing Ultimate will be made in full CG instead of 2D? The series has used CG techniques frequently, but it was still mostly 2D animation. Not digging this at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
So, has anybody else realized that this announcement implies that the last few episodes of Hellsing Ultimate will be made in full CG instead of 2D? The series has used CG techniques frequently, but it was still mostly 2D animation. Not digging this at all.

No one's realized it because it doesn't imply it that at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2