• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - West Quest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
It is really neat seeing western products become anime.

I'm a pony collector and really like the new pony designs ^-^ . I have yet to see the show since it is not in Canada.
Alerhys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Not to take anything away from the live-action movie, but I could really see His Dark Materials as an anime series.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Alerhys wrote:
Not to take anything away from the live-action movie, but I could really see His Dark Materials as an anime series.

I don't think there's much to take away.. the movie of "Golden Compass" was pretty bad in my opinion. I would love to see an anime take on that series as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starre257

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
I would LOVE to see an anime adaptation of the novel series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as Cirque du Freak.

It's popular in Japan, and it even has a manga adaptation. I used to read the author's blog and when the film rights were up for purchase, I think he mentioned that an anime studio or two were interested. It ended up going to an American producer and was made into a live action movie, which... I'm not usually one to call out Adaptation Decay, but that, I think, warrants an exception.

A series of any kind would definitely have been a better choice. An anime would have worked amazingly. The series is divided into 4 trilogies, for a total of 12 books. A ~52-episode anime would have been great for that; give each book 3-5 episodes, making each trilogy a 13-episode season.

The likelihood of it happening is next to nothing, now. Even if it were made in Japan, it'd get tangled in contractual spiderwebs like Ghibli's Earthsea film did, since the movie has been made. So I just have to make myself content with reading the manga adaptation (of which Yen Press will release vol. 7 one week from today) and dreaming up ideal voice casts in my head.

The manga is great, though. I'm excited for the rest of it. Reading the novels back in middle school (7 years ago), I pretty much slugged my way through most of the first half, then got really into it about half-way through vol. 6, and by the end of vol. 7, I was addicted. The penultimate trilogy (vol.s 7-9) are undeniably my favorites, so I can't wait to see how they are in manga form. The manga-ka completely succeeded with the emotional ending of book 6, and I can't wait to see how the end of book 9 turns out!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
The inclusion of lots of titles I didn't really know about made this an interesting primer, but nostalgia also reared its head from time to time...for instance, I distinctly remember bits and pieces from the first arc of Captain Future but never got to see any other episodes.

Though, for the sake of trivia, it's probably worth adding a couple of examples to what is surely a seemingly endless list of Japanese adaptations of Western literature. In particular, you've got Osamu Dezaki's own 1978 Takarajima as yet another version of Treasure Island, which enjoyed a reasonable degree of international distribution, and two Grimm Masterpiece Theater series that still get occasional airtime in certain places around the globe.

As for Deltora Quest itself, I suppose it sounds decent enough despite not being something that demands to be checked out.

And as far as wishing for impossible projects goes...an adaptation of Michael Ende's Momo would be nice.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
It's been years since Animax Asia aired Future Boy Conan, or as they called it "Conan the Boy in Future". They also used to air Detective Conan under its original title, so the "Conan ban" only seems to affect the U.S. and the UK. Never heard of Marvel being involved before, though.

Have to agree that the powered suit designs were the only good part of the Starship Troopers anime.

I remember seeing Captain Future on local TV a long time ago. Was probably a local English dub, but I can't be sure.
mjharper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Alerhys wrote:

Hadn't though of that until you mentioned it, but yeah, that could really work. Especially if it could find the balance that Noein does... Let's start a petition!

Nice column, btw Smile
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Wow Mike, thanks so much for the heads up about the Hub and Deltora Quest! This would have completely flown under my radar if not for your column. I now have my DVR set to record this show!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Lensman was one of the three shows that first got me interested in anime, the other two being Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival. I remember it well because those were the first three anime ever shown on SciFi Channel in a special one night block back when the network first launched, predating the short lived Saturday block and morning blocks. Lensman got a huge merchandise push in Japan and I'm always jealous when I see the Tomy figures in people's collections, especially when they don't even know what they are and just thought they looked cool on eBay. Someday I WILL own a Cycroader II and Grappler & D-E, they're just so awesome!

FYI, Captain Future was central to the plot at the end of last season'sAsobi ni Ikuyo: Bombshells from the Sky, they even play the theme song a few times and sing along.

tuxedocat wrote:
Wow Mike, thanks so much for the heads up about the Hub and Deltora Quest! This would have completely flown under my radar if not for your column. I now have my DVR set to record this show!

I passed on its debut to the news team here, but they never reported on it. Sad

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
For a long time I've fantasized about an anime set in the "Whoniverse", not an anime adaptation of Doctor Who though because I think it'd wind up conflicting with the actual show's canon eventually and not work. Perhaps an anime about the Japan branch of UNIT? Mind you it's not like Doctor Who hasn't got enough TV spin-offs (three, four if you count the K-9 and Company spin-off).

I grew up loving The Secret Garden and A Little Princess, I know the latter got made as part of the World Masterpiece Theatre and was also released in an English dub by Animax. Did
The Secret Garden ever get an anime made from it? Then there's Soko no Strain of course, which always sounded like a curious take on it.

Other things I think would make for a good anime are Marvel's Runaways, I just think it really lends itself well to a 26 episode format, culminating at the point where spoiler[they defeat their parents] and maybe with a second season which picks up after that. I'd also love to see an adaptation of Spider-Girl because I'm a big fan.

I love Roald Dahl, but I don't know if a anime adaptation could be done of them. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's only because I always associate them mentally with Quentin Blake's illustrations which is about as far from anime style as you can get. But I suppose an adaptation could be done. Maybe of Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator as there is a pre-set precedent for popularity as we all know how beloved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has become.

Another thing I think would work well as an anime series would be Animorphs. The series seems be ripe for adaptation to me and I think it would work a lot better in animation than it did in live action.

Going away from the printed page for inspiration and back to TV like my initial suggestion; how about The Secret World of Alex Mack? That would work as anime with a re-set in the 21st century if you ask me. Perhaps not a straight adaptation - a new person effected by GC-161 instead of Alex? That way it could be moulded into something akin to classic "cute witch" magical girl series rather than a Sailor Moon style series.

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Did The Secret Garden ever get an anime made from it?

Yes it did:

anime#1109
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
For those interested, there is no dub of the 1969 Moomin anime (or even any fansubs that I can find), but there is a BBC dub of the 1990 Moomin anime and, yes, the DVDs are pretty easy to get.
There must have been a fan of the Moomins working at the BBC, because the 70s Polish adaptation (stop-motion in felt Very Happy) got a BBC dud too.

The 1990 adaptation is supposedly much more faithful to the original work than the 1969 adaptation, although I once saw a Japanese raw of an episode from the 1990s and noted with interest that the narrator was calling Snorkmaiden 'Fraulein' all of the time. Which was strange, and it doesn't carry through to the dub.

In the 1990s version, there are some changes from the way that Jansson presented it, but they're pretty minor; most notable are that The Snork is an inventor and that Moominpappa appears to be on his best behaviour. I would personally say that the dub is more than serviceable; the voices all match quite well to the characters and don't disrupt the charm of Moomin Valley (in fact, they may add to it) - I particularly like Snufkin and Moomin.
The show is largely episodic in nature, but there is an actual continuity and some two-parters so it is best watched in order.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
Did The Secret Garden ever get an anime made from it?

Yes it did:

anime#1109

Thanks for letting me know Anime smile. I note that it too is without an English cast. It's a real shame these anime which seem like they would have done so well in the west never got dubbed.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
It's a real shame these anime which seem like they would have done so well in the west never got dubbed.

Yeah. I'd love to hear a UK English dub of The Twins at St Clare's or a U.S. dub of the 1990 Daddy Long-Legs series.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Man, Deltora Quest was one of my absolute favorite series as a kid.

I really hope this gets a R1 release someday... I'd just love to see it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4