• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
$50 Subscription Option

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd pay to keep avatars at the current size, keep banners out, keep signatures out, keep the "black text only" mentality and to always have at least one clean color scheme option available. Luckily the staff seems to want the same things, so... Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I always found the thought of increasing the size of the avatar awful. For one, I can already see that dog you're using pretty clearly, and any bigger would only make it needlessly distractive.
Count me as one who'd rather pay to not see bigger avatars.

But I'll stay with Dan here, and agree that eventually something worthy of your bucks will appear. And if you don't like the idea of donating, you can always create a second account and subscribe there.

With all due respect, if you have any better ideas, feel free to share them. Fifty dollars isn't exactly a tiny amount of money, a donation that size deserves additional benefits.

Blocking ads in itself is a nice concept, but can be done with several ad blocker programs for no cost at all.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Page 1, second post. That's my idea, even though I don't watch videos here. Another idea is to use that $50 to keep avatars at 100 pixels. 2 ideas so far. Better? IMHO, yes.

It's not that easy. Offering privileges like bigger avatars to those willing to pay $50 would make the ones paying $20 feel... left out. How is that fair?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Calathan wrote:
However, what I would really want most, both with the $20 I pay now and with the $50 subscription is for someone to read the forums and respond quickly to posts about bugs and problems people are having. I've found that I generally don't get a reply to my reports of problems on the "Bugs & Technical Questions" or "Encyclopedia" forums until someone gets around to fixing the problem, which could be weeks or months later (I have one thread on the “Bugs & Technical Questions” forum right now that is waiting for a reply, by the way). Even more than having someone actually fix the problems sooner, I would just like to have someone reply to posts within about 24 hours acknowledging that someone at ANN has seen it and is now aware of the issue.

Simply acknowledging problem reports? Although this request sounds simple, its implications are not. Right now we're dealing with problem reports on a "best effort" basis. But once we start acknowledging specific issues, it means we have to actually follow through. And within a reasonable period. What's the point of acknowledging an issue if the resolution comes 2 years later (or never)? That requires planning. That means we have to start using a proper issue tracking system, either privately to ensure forum-acknowledged issues don't fall through the cracks, or publicly to replace forum-reported issues. As desirable as it is, this is a fairly significant organizational change.

(Ironically, responding to this 9 days later)

I think you are only considering the encycolpedia errors, but this happens with the other content as well. For example recently the subtitles on one anime episode were wrong (as in totally not the subtitles that went with that episode). I posted on the bugs and technical questions forum and waited four days, but no one responded. I then PMed Justin Sevakis, and he fixed the problem right away. I'm sure he would have fixed the problem sooner, but he just never heard there was a problem until I PMed him. So in that case there was a person with the time and ability to fix the problems, but the problems were still not getting fixed because no one from ANN was reading the forum where the problems were being posted (either that, or someone was reading but not communicating with the person who could fix the problems). I think Justin may be reading that forum now though, so maybe things are better now.

Another example of what I would want was when The X Button wasn't displaying right, I think for everyone using IE 8. It would have been nice for someone to just open one of the articles in IE 8 and confirmed that it didn't work. Just something like "yes, it doesn't work in IE 8, so use another browser for now" or "it works for me in IE 8" would have been helpful. Even if the problem can't be fixed any time soon, just acknowledging the problem is helpful. For those non-encyclopedia errors, I don't think there are so many of them that responding to each one (and perhaps keeping track of them as well) would be difficult.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
You have to admit though, with some people, $50 can be a ton of cash. I am not saying it wouldn't serve a good purpose, but without additional benefits, it's going to be hard to convince others that it's worthwhile to donate that much money.

This option clearly wouldn't be for everyone, just as the $20 subscription option isn't for everyone. $50 per year may be a lot for many people, but for many others of us it's not a problem.

Quote:
creating the option to stop receiving emails also would be a functional addition as well.

If you mean the e-mails you get when someone replies to a topic you have posted in, then that can already be done in your profile settings. Go into your profile and scroll down to the section right above where you load your avatar. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th options control whether or not you get e-mails when new posts are made in topics you are following, whether you get e-mails when you receive a PM, and if you get a pop-up window when you receive a new PM. Change those all to "NO" and you will stop getting e-mails.

You can also turn off topic reply notifications on a topic by topic basis by clicking the link at the bottom of the page within each topic.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
What would you want for a $50 subscription?

How many other people would be willing to spend $50 / year if we added something to make it worth your while (and what would make it worth your while?).

-t

If a $50 drop got me a three year subscription and, a gift card from Righstuf, I'd bite. Now the value of the card is between you guys and Mr. Kleckner, but something along the lines of $20 could certainly help those who knows how to stretch a dollar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Forgive the bump (though I my defense, I just now learned of this thread's existence), but as I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I would happily pay another $20 or $30 per year for ad-free access to ANN's video back catalog. At just an extra couple of bucks per month, I could certainly swing it. The really question, I suppose, would be whether the extra flat-rate income would cover the cost of licenses and streaming, as well as generate a profit for ANN in the process.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Forgive the bump (though I my defense, I just now learned of this thread's existence), but as I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, I would happily pay another $20 or $30 per year for ad-free access to ANN's video back catalog. At just an extra couple of bucks per month, I could certainly swing it. The really question, I suppose, would be whether the extra flat-rate income would cover the cost of licenses and streaming, as well as generate a profit for ANN in the process.

Same here, I don't like to bump threads, but when I last posted in this forum I wasn't a subscriber. So now that I am in fact a subscriber, I do have more input.

For a fifty dollar subscription cost, you can make your own custom rank, but there will be rules. For example, your custom rank must be approved by one or more moderators, Zac and maybe even Tempest. Also, like with custom ranks currently given, the rank must be clean and should be something you have at work/library without questionable remarks on the title.

But here is what makes this system different other the current system. The title you create can only ever be used by one person and is unique so the first person to chose the title is able to keep the title and anyone that tries to use the same title might receive a 404 error page.

It would truly be a custom made rank that is truly unique and couldn't be used by others. Personally, I don't mind sharing my custom rank with others. It's great to know that others might have the same interest in anime as me or other subjects. But I think it might be a cool idea in concept.

Another benefit of fifty dollar donation would be a slight increase in height and width of the avatars here. Maybe just a 5-10 point increase. It's worth at least thinking about and really, the increase wouldn't be too much, but not too little.

Another idea is the option to making one's profile entirely private from the public and only accessible under certain situations by moderators or Tempest. Facebook, Amazon and I think even Ebay have all incorporated this concept and this does serve a purpose. I am pretty sure somewhere at some time during the last decade this site has been operational someone (be it a regular member, subscriber, moderators) thought/said something similar to this.

Also, since this benefit is exclusive to only those who donate this amount of money, the amount of work this would take would be reduced in half, if not even more. Most likely, a semi skilled programmer could finish a project like this within a week, depending on volume of $50 donations.

Well, these are just a few ideas and finer details would need to be worked out, but seeing as $50 is somewhat expensive, interesting benefits aren't asking for much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2