• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Few Minutes with Takao Kato

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pandora Hearts is unquestionably a show aimed at women.

A series with action, mystery, horror moments (that rabbit.....shiver, and then there's that "eye" moment in chapter 3), and Alice isn't bad on the eyes when she's not being mischievous. What, just because the male characters are bishonen (which most shonen titles are getting that way anyway) and there's a bit of yaoi implication (milder compared to other similar titles) that overrides the "male-aimed" aspects? Confused I'd say more like it's equally aimed at both audiences, and even if it does lean a little more to appealing to the female fans, saying "unquestionably" is a bit much.

Anyway, I've loved the manga volumes released so far, and look forward to ordering the anime eventually.
Duraccano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
i was a reader of pandora hearts before the adaptation and i was hoping that it would stick to the manga's storyline COMPLETELY. But of course, it didn't... (which also pretty much destroyed the chance of a season two >:/) but his compliments on Mochizuki-sans art and story made me like him xD
she really can draw beautifully.
I've had NISA's pandorahearts box set one preorderd ever since they started taking preorders. I can not wait for it to be in my arms~

thanks for the interview!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Sadness... no questions about working with Kajiura Yuki. I'm sure it was just a super brief interview though.

I'm not a fan of Pandora Hearts (nor anything this person has directed), but the Pandora Hearts OST is wonderful.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kato's last three answers were quite revealing I thought; clearly indicative of somebody who's dissatisfied with the status quo. It's good to know there are directors out there who want to return to original animation projects.

Anyway, while there's nothing wrong with being a cel animation fan--which is certainly the impression I got of him--I don't think encouraging studios to divorce themselves from CGI is the solution to the stagnation that Kato made reference to. If anything, the advent of CGI animation (I assume he wasn't specifically referring to the 3D kind, but rather computer-assisted 2D animation as well) should facilitate studios taking creative risks.
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Kato's last three answers were quite revealing I thought; clearly indicative of somebody who's dissatisfied with the status quo. It's good to know there are directors out there who want to return to original animation projects.

Well, the industry as a whole is concerned about the status quo. That includes producers and studio execs.

It's just that they have few solutions to their problems and are more or less trapped into pumping out adaptations for the financiers (which often include a manga/book publisher.......) who control the purse strings.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Mm, I guess that's true. It's good to hear it voiced though.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Its female characters are just fabulous. The seiyu perfectly fit their roles, and the character design is awesome. It's just that this ending without a second season is just awful.
No questions asked about the possibility of a future season? Or was it his intention to wrap it up with that mess of an ending, I wonder.
TheGotank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pandora Hearts is unquestionably a show aimed at women.

This line stood out to me the most in the interview as well. Honestly I think you'd only get this impression from a cursory glance at the anime.

Personally I don't think season 2 is out of the question yet. The last arc in the anime intentionally didn't end anything. It's a shame no question was asked about this.

The music of Pandora Hearts was brilliant. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1