• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
386sky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
Here is another example.

番組宣伝:小林亜加子
制作デスク:毛雁克俊
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
These were better, as they didn't have their kanji names yet (I set them in the process):
番組宣伝:小林亜加子 = Akako KOBAYASHI
制作デスク:毛雁克俊 = Katsutoshi KEGAI
Both given names were unique hits in ENAMDICT so the mapping was relatively easy.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Unprocessed remains for Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo (TV 3) (source: D2_STATION; all animator tasks confirmed by livedoor wiki which doesn't have some of the low-level tasks such as Art or Color)
原画:角田春子 (ep 11) KAKUDA/TSUNODA? Haruka
原画:秋元健志 (ep 10) AKIMOTO Kenji/Takeshi?
制作進行:成島喜弘 (ep 7,10) NARUSHIMA? Yoshihiro
第二原画:遠藤有人 (ep 5) ENDOU Yuuto?
動画:山口笑旦 (ep 3,7,10) YAMAGUCHI ???
動画:山田貴恵 (ep 8) YAMADA Takae/Yoshie/Kie?
背景:丹羽田輝彦 NIBATA/NIHATA Teruhiko?
撮影:富所初嶺 ???
オリジナルロゴデザイン:株式会社blue ("stock company blue"?, may be http://www.web-blue1993.com/)
デジタル仕上げ:緋和 (ep 9) "Hina"? (but not the Hina already existing at ANN who is a manga-ka "ひな。")
タイトルロゴデザイン:岡秀樹 (バーンズ) (not Japanese? The company reads "Barnes" or "Burns" but I can't map that either)
原画:許宰銑 (ep 12) (not Japanese?)
原画:李豪世 (ep 4) (not Japanese?)
原画:李美瑛 (ep 6,8) (not Japanese?)
原画:李炫定 (ep 3,7,9-10) (not Japanese?)
原画:梁容準 (ep 3) (not Japanese?)
原画:崔瑛旻 (ep 3) (not Japanese?)
作画監督:許宰銑 (ep 6) (not Japanese?)
第二原画:李炫定 (ep 5) (strange 2nd kanji, maybe not Japanese?)
動画:李炫定 (ep 9-10) (strange 2nd kanji, maybe not Japanese?)
動画検査:李炫定 (ep 3,5,7,9-10) (strange 2nd kanji, maybe not Japanese?)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
原画:崔瑛旻 (ep 3) (not Japanese?)

All Korean names.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
386sky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
Translating these names in Japanese has an effect:

原画:崔瑛旻 (ep 3) Choi Min-ying?

スタジオディーン translates to something, such as Studio DEEN.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
All Korean names.
Any of these in the ANN database already?
cyruswillis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I can't relate all anime! Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Devil Doll wrote:
So would it be better to give the credit to Seiya Numata directly (with the 召成三言 kanji in the source URL) instead of guessing?

I don't really like doing this. If someone is credited under a different name, that's the name that should be used even if it's an odd one-off alias (and then the alias should be connected to the main person). Of course it's difficult with a case like this where we don't know the name reading, but he did use that name in at least one other series according to the source.

Does anyone happen to have Slayers Revolution on DVD (R1) and can check episode 9's key animation credits? FUNi only has the first two episodes of the dub (which would probably contain the translated credits) on their website but they've expired so I can't even tell if they translated the key animator section with their credits or not. If we're going to create an entry, I'd like to use whatever name has been used on an official release at least.

First two dubbed episodes are on Youtube (rest subbed) but I can't access them from here. I would be dubious about relying on FUNimation's credit translations anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
オリジナルロゴデザイン:株式会社blue ("stock company blue"?, may be http://www.web-blue1993.com/)

"blue Co., Ltd" would make more sense, and indeed is what is used on that site. They list Media Factory as a client so it looks like a match.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

原画:清野紘一郎 (ep 2)
Kōichirō Seino (or Kiyono? Going to have to make a guess on this one too) Could be a pseudonym or a mistaken transcription due to lack of Google hits.

On the lack of Google hits note, I have come across someone suspiciously similar: Kouichiro Kawano (who has Koichiro Kono as an alternate reading). His name differs by only one kanji out of five, so Devil Doll, you may want to see if you can double check the actual episode's credits. I have fixed Kawano's given name kanji that you sent an error report on.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
His name differs by only one kanji out of five, so Devil Doll, you may want to see if you can double check the actual episode's credits.
Doing this ended with a surprise: The original video credit in fact differs by one kanji from the D2_STATION value 清野 紘一郎 (which copied the value from one line above in the image?), but it's not the first one that's different (as in 野 紘一郎 = KAWANO Kouichiro), it's the second one:

I'm not sure which kanji that may be; I guessed 清 紘一郎 which resulted in 8 Google hits, some of which are in livedoor encyclopedia and one even in D2_STATION (Key Animation for Shugo Chara) but no Kimikiss.

清島 紘一郎 would read KIYOSHIMA Kouichirou, and ANN has such a person, an animator with 6 credits. This person's kanji name has been set to 清島 一郎 (with "no source" but 800 Google hits); most of the six credits have unusable sources but the JMDB source for Jin-Roh confirms these kanji (being the only credit for this person by JMDB). Then again, Google has no result for "清島 孝一郎" "キミキス"... so what to do now?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... well, that's odd. It really seems the transcription was an error on top of an error in the actual credits. I think 清島孝一郎 is probably the person they meant and they got the first kanji on the given name wrong (since they can both be read the same way). I double checked Shugo Chara 23 on Crunchyroll and it has 清島紘一郎 too, so it's either an error along with the Kimikiss credit or it's actually a different person with a similar name. I'm more inclined to believe the former given the lack of Google hits. Kamisama Kazoku, going by this source seems to be 清島孝一郎, so it appears he has been involved in anime from around the same time at least.

Devil Doll wrote:
Then again, Google has no result for "清島 孝一郎" "キミキス"... so what to do now?

I guess D2 Station is the only website that transcribed the Key Animation credits and they did it wrong, so just add him as Koichiro Kiyoshima and note that you got it from the ending credits in the source (giving the kanji 清島紘一郎 there too).
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

First two dubbed episodes are on Youtube (rest subbed) but I can't access them from here. I would be dubious about relying on FUNimation's credit translations anyway...

Well, better than no translation or someone not fluent in Japanese like me making too much of an off-the-wall guess. There are potentially some Japanese approvals going into the R1 credit scroll at least (even if I've read that they sometimes insist on the wrong name too).
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
just add him as Koichiro Kiyoshima and note that you got it from the ending credits in the source (giving the kanji 清島紘一郎 there too).
Done, with your posting as source URL.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
When matching the in-betweener credits of Aa! My Goddess Movie against the D2_STATION kanji source, I'm left with these kanji:
KEYSTONE
高仁喆 (Ko)
呉文姫 (Oh)
呉永煥 (Oh)
宗侖貞 (Jong)
崔圭姫 (Choe)
柳周煥 (Ryu)

Looking at the credits already existing in ANN, these should be the following persons:
Mun Hee OH, Young Hwan OH, Ryun Jeong JONG, Gyu Hee CHOE, Ju Hwan RYU

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Some more Koreans amongst the Paint/Finish staff:
KEYSTONE
金美蘭 (Kim)
金成河 (Kim)
柳金喜 (Ryu)
朴明姫 (Bak/Park)

Corresponding ANN persons:
Seong Ha KIM, Kim MI RAN (wrong name order?), Park MYUNG HEE (wrong name order? might be 朴 明姫?), Kim Hee RYU (might be 柳 金喜?)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Could anyone in the know about Korean names please make a mapping between these lists (and perhaps contribute the kanji names for these persons directly)?

(EDIT: Done, with the help of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_family_name and http://scim-python.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/pinyin_table.txt )

Last edited by Devil Doll on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8