• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike Witches Gets Theatrical Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
This is the best thing ever.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
I would never have predicted this if I lived to be a million years old. Strike Witches: The Movie.

Yet, despite my short-comings of predictions, this news certainly makes me happy. I freakin' love this series.

I wish Max Factory would hurry up and release the figma line already. I'm getting impatient.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
The whole Strike Witches thing has the potential for a good movie: great visuals (aerial battles, etc), an engaging storyline (what got me hooked into the first series) and animation taken up a notch (over the tv series). Sadly, a movie release is probably just a reason to flash underage girls panties on the big screen. Crying or Very sad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Jesus... I find this amusing to imagine. Lucky Strike Witches fans, maybe you'll get an OVA series next.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
That'd be "Humikane."
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Yay! Strike Witches is a show I'd call a pleasant surprise, because it really is a good show. I just wish people wouldn't overlook it so easily, although I kinda, sorta get why they would. I'm patiently awaiting Funimations release for the second season, and I hope they get this too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
The whole Strike Witches thing has the potential for a good movie: great visuals (aerial battles, etc), an engaging storyline (what got me hooked into the first series) and animation taken up a notch (over the tv series). Sadly, a movie release is probably just a reason to flash underage girls panties on the big screen. Crying or Very sad

They should set up a camera to see who comes into the theater room. Laughing
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Seconding a license for this. Even if it's not a theatrical release I'll still like it. Given how Funi got season 2, I think they might look into this.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
When I saw this headline I had a sudden image of some visionary director ditching all of the fanservice and moe and turning Strike Witches into a dark, mature story about young girls being forced to fight aliens*, and then cackling in manic glee as the fanboys come at him with hug pillows and wall scrolls.

* (or whatever they are)
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
What wonderful news.

I heard that Nyantype 12 would have a trailer for 扶桑海の閃光, but since that was just a manga, I assumed it would be a manga spin-off.

"扶桑海の閃光"* is an in-series movie in Strike Witches. It's a recruitment drive movie made for the Fuso military. It stars Anabuki Tomoko and other characters as themselves, and tells the tale of their heroism in the Fuso Sea Incident of 1937. It would really be nuts if this was a direct recreation of that, even though I'd prefer other stuff.

* I'd look for the closest-to-canonical English translation, but my Witches of the Sphinx doujinshi are all bundled up and I need to go to a job interview soon.
bakabakadeshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
woot! more yuri! *mauled*
bakabakadeshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
woot! more yuri! *mauled*
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
When I saw this headline I had a sudden image of some visionary director ditching all of the fanservice and moe and turning Strike Witches into a dark, mature story about young girls being forced to fight aliens*, and then cackling in manic glee as the fanboys come at him with hug pillows and wall scrolls.

* (or whatever they are)

You know, I'm a big fan of SW, but I thought the 2nd season went a bit too far towards the light, moe side at the expense of some darkness and cooler military plots of the 1st season.

Even though I still liked the 2nd season plenty.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

* (or whatever they are)

You know, I'm a big fan of SW, but I thought the 2nd season went a bit too far towards the light, moe side at the expense of some darkness and cooler military plots of the 1st season.

Even though I still liked the 2nd season plenty.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Seconding a license for this. Even if it's not a theatrical release I'll still like it. Given how Funi got season 2, I think they might look into this.

My ideal would probably be the Japanese blu-ray having English subs like the 1st Nanoha movie is having.

Last edited by einhorn303 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

ZeetherKID77 wrote:

My ideal would probably be the Japanese blu-ray having English subs like the 1st Nanoha movie is having.

If that happened then it would probably not get a US release then....but the first Strike Witches had subs and a dub on Bluray so it could happen still.

Granted since this is a side story we probably wouldn't hear the same dub VAs anyway.

I wonder if Funi is releasing seasons 1 and 2 on Bluray here. The first season may end up taking longer since it's available in Japan, but 2 could happen...

Last edited by ZeetherKID77 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3