• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Boils and Ghouls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
I pass off the genera of Horror as a sort of dark tone to a story. Is that wrong?
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll use this opportunity to pimp the Goblin Cat arc of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales. Excellent, excellent show that got lost in the mix during 2007 when Geneon was collapsing. The first two volumes of Ayakashi aren't all that good, but definitely grab volume 3. You won't be disappointed.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
What Jason said about horror mostly being concentrated in manga struck me: perhaps this is because the nature of the medium makes it more conducive to creating effective horror? People are forced to fill in the gaps in GNs as a means of stringing panels together, and it's common wisdom that the viewer's/reader's own imagination is a great tool for scaring them.

Add: Hadn't even thought of the "page-turning" effect.

Quote:
Everybody saying Event Horizon sucks.

Anime cry

Then again, I watched it when I was 11 or 12.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
Fiction isn't scary. Real life is scary. Leaving my room and dealing with real people is scarier to me than some made up stories.

I'm not going to cower because I read/watch something that is about something that will never happen.

The news is scarier than that.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:13 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
Good to hear that Media Blasters is giving some new business models a shot. A Red Box style kiosk could be interesting, but I highly doubt if I'll see one where I live. I'll give them credit for making an effort.

I do think that anime hits a big barrier when it comes to horror because it relies heavily on the idea that maybe it could happen to you, and given that we don't live in a 2D world, it's hard to convey that.

penguintruth wrote:
Fiction isn't scary. Real life is scary.

I'm not going to cower because I read/watch something that is about something that will never happen.

The news is scarier than that.

I know what you mean. Any nightmares I have that wake me up are about things in real life that could happen. The knowledge that what I'm seeing isn't real always diminishes the scare factor. I can still be entertained, but not really scared beyond maybe the occasional startle.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else think Zac sounded like he was trying to have sex with us?

Ranma was actually quite successful which was why Inu-yasha's manga was licensed immediately.

The discussion about horror anime can best be described be about how their is no horror anime. Then everyone tries to think up some, and then discuss it. Since I only watch things to get entertained then I have never really seen a horror anime since I seen no purpose

As for Perfect Blue I didn't find it scary in the least, Me-mania was so goofy looking that I actually paused the thing, and walked away to brace myself for the rest of the movie. The only previous anime I had to do that for was Code Geass (though I had to do that for like very 5 minutes for CG). He looked like Sloth from the Goonies. The spoiler[manager] might have been more frightening if I didn't find the chase sequence hilarious. At one point she somehow manages to scale a 7 foot tall rail with ease. A few hours after I had watched the movie I began to joke that spoiler[Rumi] was the third student of Master Asia. It also doesn't help that the films feels like an over the top warning about the Otaku lifestyle, where if you let your child have posters of the latest pop idol than their going to go on a killing rampage. It was good when it had to be a psychological thriller where you wonder if Mima was the killer, and their was certainly a lot of creepy scenes but I was never scared.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:32 am; edited 2 times in total
fmagrave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
Try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni to experience some true horror and a good story.

Try Tsubaki Shoujo if you want to chip away your soul.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
No manga, even horror, has ever actually scared me, but Alan Moore's From Hell chilled me to the bone. I couldn't bring myself to read it more than a few chapters at a time and I still occasionally have nightmares about some of the later parts of the story.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
I think...was it Noah? That said this? I think he hit it on the head when he said all the best horror is in shonen somewhere. Or seinen. Berserk was brought up, and I couldn't...I could not watch those last two episodes for about a year after I first saw it. I literally started quivering when I got to that point and couldn't watch it because it was so jarring what had happened to all those characters in a big shocking smash with no closure.

But yeah, all the creepiest stuff I can think of is in, say, Fullmetal Alchemist or Yu Yu Hakusho...seriously if that thing with Toguro and the sinning tree in YYH didn't give you jeebies beyond compare, you're a rare individual. You pretty much mention "elder Toguro" and people shudder and squick away. Also, "Night of the Chimera's Cry" in FMA kept me up at night after I saw it buuuuuut that was one of my first anime and my very first episode of FMA itself.

The only true "horror"-style anime I can think of that I sat through and said "Well this worked as a HORROR movie"...where it's not a drama, it's not an action show that just happens to be gory, and it's not just a psychological thing like Lain or Paranoia Agent, both of which gave me severe jeebies, but of course they don't have any huge jump moments, or anything...the only one I can think of is the question arcs, meaning the first 18 episodes or so of Higurashi.

It's framed like a horror movie, it has instances of gore but mostly relies on scares through the stuff you don't see or don't understand, that whole thing of not knowing WHO to trust....yeah. I know it worked as a horror piece because I could not stop watching it during those question arcs. But when we get the answers, with the exception of Shion's story which contains the most blood and gore and a lot of the mystery is retained, I tuned out. I didn't really care for the explanations, the show dragged, it just couldn't hold itself up as well without the scary angle. So yeah: Higurashi feels like a genuine "horror movie" to me. Everything else is either a psychological thriller or some really gnarly thing in a shonen somewhere.
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Hope Media Blasters gets it together. Another less company means less anime to be had. Both in new (or potentially new) licenses as well as series they have licensed. Hope the new kiosks go well. If Media Blasters is looking for suggestions on where to put them in the Bay Area (California) I would love to recommend a few places that might resonate with people.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
Small note, Higurashi isn't a galge. There's no romance/dating involved. Higurashi is just a straight-up horror sound novel. Ditto for Umineko.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

But yeah, all the creepiest stuff I can think of is in, say, Fullmetal Alchemist or Yu Yu Hakusho...seriously if that thing with Toguro and the sinning tree in YYH didn't give you jeebies beyond compare, you're a rare individual. You pretty much mention "elder Toguro" and people shudder and squick away. Also, "Night of the Chimera's Cry" in FMA kept me up at night after I saw it buuuuuut that was one of my first anime and my very first episode of FMA itself.

That's the one chapter that I can't re-read, just because the chimera combination is just freaky. Her saying "let's play" really gets to me. It's actually worse than with the three scenes where the Philosopher's stone is created just because those scenes where more sad than scary.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
Higurashi is one of the better horror anime of the past few years, in part because it mixes its hyper-moe parts with some genuinely terrifying and upsetting moments. The second season is far less horror related, but the first year certainly earns its creepiness.

Another one I thought would be mentioned is Boogiepop Phantom, although it might run closer to psychological thriller. It has a feel like Lain's, but more horror elements and more of a mystery feel. It's as confusing as can be, and has a lot of storylines going on at once, which adds to the feel of confusion and helplessness, and there's enough moments that are eerie that I'd recommend it. It's unlike most anime I've seen.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
Question for all those who have seen Higurashi, I have been hearing how scary it is for years but never saw it.

The only thing I have seen from it are clips of the series, and I find them hilarious, in particular the way they laugh, is that because those scenes are taking out of context because I honestly don't know how I am supposed to find the way the laugh to be scary.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
I loved the disclaimer for this episode, but now we haven't been informed that the views and opinions expressed on the show are not the opinions of animenewsnetwork.com! Some people might think that the views and opinions are the opinions animenewsnetowrk.com. And then the world will end.

Anime rental kiosks sound like a smart move. When I went to the US for a month two years ago I spotted a few Redbox things around and wondered why no other countries had hit on the idea.

(BTW, Can someone explain what St. Mark's street is?)

RE: Higurashi, I've never been able to take that show seriously. The character designs clash wildly with the tone, and the "disturbing" facial expressions the characters make when they go postal are so over the top that for a long time when I saw screenshots of the show I thought it was a comedy.

And as for anime that scared me, a few scenes from Ghost Hound and Serial Experiments Lain are all I can think of (weren't they directed by the same guy?)

Last edited by Penguin_Factory on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6