• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

First two dubbed episodes are on Youtube (rest subbed) but I can't access them from here. I would be dubious about relying on FUNimation's credit translations anyway...

Well, better than no translation or someone not fluent in Japanese like me making too much of an off-the-wall guess. There are potentially some Japanese approvals going into the R1 credit scroll at least (even if I've read that they sometimes insist on the wrong name too).
Speaking of Japanese approvals for credits, I added the task "Animation Director" for 小野田将人 in Panty and Stocking. At the time, it was set to Masato Onoda. When I actually got around to watching the ep. on Crunchyroll, the subs translated his name as Masahito Onoda. I asked MXMedia on Twitter about it and they said that they have confirmations from the Japanese side when it comes to staff names, so that turned out to be helpful. It also looks like this is his Twitter account too-- people like Imaishi and Ryuichi Kimura are following him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Mahoraba ~Heartful days~ (TV)
背景:高宙呈(eps 14-16, 18, 21-26)
Appears in credits as 高 宙呈

Anyone have any idea here? Is this possibly a non-Japanese name? He does appear along with other Japanese names in Studio Easter apparently, though. If anyone has the R1 releases of My-Hime, Petite Cossette, and/or Genshiken, I would be curious how they romanized the name (if they have English credits).
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I had the same problem when contributing Cossette and decided to ignore this person. (Cossette's GerDub release has no low-level credits at all; Mai-Hime GerDub has the complete kanji credits.)

Non-japanese background credits appear to be rare; then again, Elfen Lied has Chinese background artists, and a 1:2 kanji split would be more likely for Korean than for Japanese names. "宙呈" has only few readings none of which looks like a Japanese given name to me.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Are Chinese or Korean names ever split like that?
I've got some UK HiME discs nearby somewhere so give us a sec..
Oh, Kanji credits. Actually not split here, unlike a couple other three-Kanji names in the same section.

The only English credits I can find are a page of Beez staff and a page of voice actors. Don't know if the R1s are any different.

edit: sniped
Devil Doll wrote:
Non-japanese background credits appear to be rare

There actually is a Korean division of Studio Easter: http://www.koreaeaster.com/

Oh, bloody hell - he's right there on their about page ^^;

http://www.koreaeaster.com/sub01.html

I assume we would enter "KoJuJeong" here as "Jeong, Ko-Ju".
[edit: see below]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Oh, bloody hell - he's right there on their about page ^^;

http://www.koreaeaster.com/sub01.html

I assume we would enter "KoJuJeong" here as "Jeong, Ko-Ju".

Wow, nice find. It seems the romanization there is in Eastern order. "Ko" is the family name and "JuJeong" (Should this be entered as "Ju-Jeong"? I don't know what the standard is for Korean names) is the given name.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Oh, good point. If Ko is the family name then yes, it would be entered as "Ko, Ju-Jeong" per dormcat.

edit:

Confirmed, 고/高/Ko is the family name here (Jeong is also a family name, but with different kanji from what I can tell)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
In Tamayura episode 4, credited for 背景:
高 大浩

Any idea on this name? Possibly non-Japanese as well? Hiroshi Kōdai, who was entered for Black Rock Shooter, is the same person but that reading can't be correct because the Tamayura credits make the separation between family and given name very clear.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I can tell you one thing: It is Atelier Roku 07, not Atelier Rourke 07 or Atelier Rourke:
http://roku.jp/annai.html

Their site doesn't mention having, say, a Korean office like Studio Easter do, but then it is very barebones and they could of course be a non-Japanese person working in Japan. If we assume he's Korean like our friend Ju-Jeong Ko above, then his surname would also be Ko. Converting hanji to hangul a character at a time using wiktionary gives:
고 대호 = Ko Tae-Ho

I don't know if this is anywhere near correct, but we don't have him in the encyclopedia (checked inversions and some alternative romanisation). At this point we need someone who knows a bit more about Korean names.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
The same 高大浩 person would get credit for Nintama Rantaro (TV) episode 8 (source: livedoor wiki, 18th series airing 2010) but hasn't been contributed there as the only missing background artist of the show (all others are there, with kanji names).

My previous posting about the korean credits in Aa! Megami-sama Movie had one 高仁喆 person (the only one I still can't identify) and 高 = "Ko" is amongst the 25 most frequent Korean family names.

But I don't see ANN getting anywhere with Korean names as long as there isn't even a procedure to fix the (approximately 40%) of names romanized in the wrong name order, such as Kim MI RAN or Park MYUNG HEE.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
My previous posting about the korean credits in Aa! Megami-sama Movie had one 高仁喆 person (the only one I still can't identify) and 高 = "Ko" is amongst the 25 most frequent Korean family names. But I don't see ANN getting anywhere with Korean names as long as there isn't even a procedure to fix the (approximately 40%) of names romanized in the wrong name order, such as Kim MI RAN or Park MYUNG HEE.

(Sigh)

From time to time, there are some overzealous users got a hold of official staff credits with romanized Korean names. Sadly, the majority of those users don't know a bit about Korean names or the Korean language. "A procedure"? Indeed we don't have any, other than fixing them one by one manually. Anime dazed
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Who is entitled to do this? (Other than Dan42 with direct SQL magic; would a tool for encyclopedists be an option?)
Would this person be interested in one separate thread per person, or a truckload of names at once?
What kind of evidence would be required to report a "romanization order reversal request" in order to cost the encyclopedist in charge a minimum of effort to handle it? (Would a kanji source from a "known good source" suffice? Would a hyphen in a family name of obviously Korean origin suffice?)

Besides, a procedure alone doesn't equal the availability of staff to perform it. (When exactly was it that the latest split request has been handled? I won't even ask for the date of the latest "merge person" request...)
jomy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this goes here, but I submitted this person's name:

Tobishima Kyousuke

I based it on the ending credits from the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers episode 31. I am absolutely certain that the kanji for both first name and family name are correct, but I don't know if the reading is. If someone could verify that for me, I would appreciate it.

[edit: moved from duplicate persons topic - shiroi]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Just as well you didn't actually submit it as Kyousuke since that's not a valid reading in enamdict.

http://jisho.org/words?Japanese=飛島&dict=enamdic
http://jisho.org/words?Japanese=京作&dict=enamdic

Tobishima does appear to be the most common reading for the family name. There are no Japanese sources giving the reading for this particular person according to Google.

Also bear in mind that our current policy is to use revised hepburn so きょう -> Kyō is preferred.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Two names I can't figure out:

岩本 寛, which is currently entered as "Kan Iwamoto", but with only Countdown's English-language credits to back up that reading.

Second, 鈴木 日出夫, of which per ENAMDICT the only possible reading of the personal name is "Hideo", but which has three different readings for the family name. It is not, however, the current Hideo Suzuki. I found an Oricon page, but it does not seem to have furigana. I also found this Japanese Wikipedia page: 常の山日出男.
jomy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Just as well you didn't actually submit it as Kyousuke since that's not a valid reading in enamdict.

http://jisho.org/words?Japanese=飛島&dict=enamdic
http://jisho.org/words?Japanese=京作&dict=enamdic

Tobishima does appear to be the most common reading for the family name. There are no Japanese sources giving the reading for this particular person according to Google.

Also bear in mind that our current policy is to use revised hepburn so きょう -> Kyō is preferred.

No no, I *did* submit it, but as it turns out I'm about as good at 5am as a drunk. Tobishima is the last name but I apparently put it in as the first name without noticing. Unless you can switch it, please feel free to delete this person and I'll resubmit.

Another reason I'm hitting myself is I can't believe I typed "Kyousuke" in my post here when I wrote "Kyousaku" in the person's name. "Kyousaku" is the one I meant to say in this post, sorry. So the only two possibilities I got for this name were "Kyousaku" and "Keisaku". In my dictionary it says "(g)" next to "Kyousaku" and "(u)" next to "Keisaku".

EDIT: Something else I meant to ask you about is, if just about every japanese program and their dictionary uses "ou" for their elongated "o" sounds, even writing "ou" in the romaji (that's even how it's written in manga furigana, with "o" and "u" pronunciations next to each other), why bother with the "o" with an accent? Worse yet, why encourage it? I use NJStar Japanese WP and JWPce, both very reliable programs. I keep JWPce around because it's good with names whereas NJStar is not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8