• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces Online Shonen Jump Supplement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
As an update, I've sent scans of the advertisement in the magazine to Lissa and had a closer look at it- it appears Nura will be a "new online series for subscribers only!" which I'm assuming means it will be ongoing. Hopefully VIZ will clarify the specifics soon.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Is this the "big news"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
What now? Whats going on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Is this the "big news"?

VIZ hasn't said much regarding it yet, so it's possible it might be somethingelse. That said, it's pretty big enough news when you consider it all.

Mario1234567 wrote:
What now? Whats going on?

VIZ is making a digital version of Shonen Jump available to it's magazine subscibers as a supplement to the magazine, with Nura Rise of the Yokai Clan as an online series and other titles as previews, apparently. Though I imagine VIZ will clarify the specifics at some point soon.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Viz also announced that it licensed the Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's manga. I'm surprised that everyone missed that tidbit.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It would be big news if someone could view say...the entire SJ library on their iPad, or get subscriptions to ongoing titles like Weekly Shounen Jump or classic volumes of Show X. This seems like treading water.

It's a start at least, and that can't be overlooked.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Viz also announced that it licensed the Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's manga. I'm surprised that everyone missed that tidbit.

Yeah, it is quite keen to see another YuGiOh license picked up. It has it's followers, and has been a part of the mag since the start.

I'm guessing it's also why Psyren wasn't in Diamond Previews awhile ago when it should of been solicited [Amazon had it listed as a December-ish release from what I recall]. I'm guessing the first volume will be out in the Spring now, though that's no an issue since I'll be able to start reading it in the magazine ^_^

This has allowed VIZ to pretty much double their content by adding an online edition for subscribers- it also allows them to offer a kind of value other online manga doesn't by including a print magazine as part of the deal.

EDIT---

This was in response to Jaymie's post a few posts down. For some reason I edited into this comment.

Reborn seems pretty unpopular in terms of sales- it hasn't had a volume listed in ages, so I hope it's not cancelled, as I know it has some fans. Hopefully those fans'll go out and buy it and encourage VIZ to release more :)

Meanwhile, the edited Case Closed is a New York Times bestseller on it's 36th volume. I guess this indicates that online popularity doesn't always translate to book sales, nor does lack of online popularity mean a book isn't selling.

Anyhoo, go buy some Reborn if you want more of it :)

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
"A New Shonen jump is coming! Next month changes everything!

We've heard your pleas for new manga. We've heard your cries for manga online, And now we're answering! It's a whole new SHONEN JUMP experience! Here's a taste of what's coming!"

Psyren - New Manga Joining the Magazine!

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - New Manga Joining the Magazine

Nura: Rise Of The Yokai Clan - New online series for subscribers only! Plus, an exclusive Nura preview in SJ mag coming soon!

Bakuman. - Online Preview for subscribers only!

Toriko - Online Preview for subscribers only!

That's what it says inside the magazine! Wink

Last edited by Anime Remix on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
All of the future Reborn! volumes were canceled, so either it's being moved to the magazine as well, or it was dropped.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Umm... when I attempted to register at Shonen Jump's website (expecting a possible first chapter of Nura online) when I logged in afterward I was brought to the Jumpland website. Will this change when the new website is up and running? Also, I hope this isn't the big news they were speaking of. Not that I dislike this announcement I just hope there's at least more to it than this as (as it stands) this is somewhat dissapointing.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the ad had a typo, which there's a note on in the article. It's possible VIZ might be taking over the URL. Or it was just a type- VIZ's site is shonenjump.viz.com
It hasn't updated to the new December issue online yet (the magazine is in stores now), so I imagine we'll have to wait until they've updated to reflect the new issues content to have details on some of this.
Also, keep in mind that this advertisement is for the NEXT issue's content- so these are things you'll be able to read starting with the Janurary issue, which ships in December.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
So this is the big news that Viz announced? I'm not really surprised that they are offering Shonen Jump online, as many magazines nowadays have online subscriptions as well.

So we aren't gonna here any big news in regards to having Hitman Reborn! with a dub on TV right?
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
So this is the big news that Viz announced? I'm not really surprised that they are offering Shonen Jump online, as many magazines nowadays have online subscriptions as well.

So we aren't gonna here any big news in regards to having Hitman Reborn! with a dub on TV right?

It's streaming/simulcasting on CrunchyRoll legally isn't it? I think that's pretty big and licensed. I imagine VIZ might give it a go sometime, but the manga doesn't seem very popular [compared to say, InuYasha or CaseClosed]. And this is speculation talking- I figure it's more likely if it ever gets a dvd release, it'll be a subonly version from Sentai Filmworks, who's done Eyesheild 21 and Gintama in that style.

It seems to have been more of a case of some Reborn fans making some wild guesses.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
so they are finally doing something they should have done ages ago. Nothing they have done to date made it worth keeping a sub to that mag.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I know Marvel and DC are planning similar items. I think the eventual goal (Here's hoping) is to use the digital media via portable tablets and the like to replace print magazines should it be seen as an option. Saving a crapload of money in printing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2