• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Excel Saga, Noir, Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to anime licensing and whatnot, but I love the Excel Saga manga, and I've watched the anime (my friend owns a copy of it) so I'm interested in purchasing this myself. But, is this like a new dub of the series, or are they just re-issuing the old dub under a new company? Regardless, I'll probably pick it up, I'm just sorta confused as to what this exactly means.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
All good series, all of which I already own. Noir being the stand out of course, it one of my favorite series. So unless they are in a true hi def format, then I will pass. But it is good for the slightly younger fans at least who are probably going "huh?" right about now. I am sure they will be reasonably priced, so it would be worth it to pick any of these up.

EDIT:

Scormio wrote:
but I love the Excel Saga manga, and I've watched the anime (my friend owns a copy of it) so I'm interested in purchasing this myself. But, is this like a new dub of the series, or are they just re-issuing the old dub under a new company?

It would be almost impossible to top the original dub, and foolish for FUNimation not to use it unless they absolutely weren't legally allowed to.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing Excel Saga a LONG time ago.

I've since forgotten about it. I'm going to definitely pick that one up simply because of its uniqueness.

Is Noir really that good? I've never bothered to look into it before.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis has always been on my list of "things I really ought to watch," so hopefully this will make that easier.

You know what would be a really cool announcement, especially at Otakon, Funi? Paranoia Agent.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Is Noir really that good? I've never bothered to look into it before.

As someone else already pointed out it really is a series you either love or hate. I've come to terms with that, since I am on the love side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Scormio wrote:
but I love the Excel Saga manga, and I've watched the anime (my friend owns a copy of it) so I'm interested in purchasing this myself. But, is this like a new dub of the series, or are they just re-issuing the old dub under a new company?

It would be almost impossible to top the original dub, and foolish for FUNimation not to use it unless they absolutely weren't legally allowed to.

I'm assuming this means its the old dub, so thank you! $50 doesn't seem bad, since alot of the anime I see at FYE or wherever is $60-70.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow...those are three of the old ADV mainstays.

While it is a bit unsettling to see them get re-licensed...

...well, I guess the big argument for ANNcast or whatever is...are these license rescues actually worth it?

I mean, is it actually worth re-releasing these things relative to their cost?

I mean a few big titles from yesteryear always draw hardcore fans...Evangelion, Gundam, Utena, that kind of thing. Were these three titles big enough to sustain another release? Relative to their cost?

Moreover, should FUNimation be spending on new acquisitions like this right before they go on sale.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yet again Funi get some that I all ready have and yet they still wont be the OVA of Ah! My Goddess and The Story of Saiunkoku season 2 dam them Evil or Very Mad
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Already have Noir, but would love to have Excel Saga. Pretty jealous of my girlfried actually, she has the chipboard thinpack release Anime hyper. I would much rather have the priginal version than Funimation's re-release (unless there is a bluray involved, which I can;t see happening).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
GMSenpai wrote:
The original Bubblegum Crisis is on Hulu for free. Granted its the dub and not on DVD, but the price is right.

I thank you for your concern, though such a service is not accessible in my region.
Regardless of such a matter, one must stress that the object of my desire is a physical product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what everyone's complaining about them being expensive, picked up Bubblegum crisis for 25 bucks, Excel Saga the IM-perfect collection for 40, and Noir for 20, which is under a hundred bucks so this "rescue" isn't really needed, especially since you can still readily find these for decent prices, same way when FUNi got Disgaea and Armitage, they aren't selling it for any cheaper
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like some sort of Flying Dog deal going on. Bet these will be part of the Classics SteelBook line.

Dagon123 wrote:
I don't know what everyone's complaining about them being expensive, picked up Bubblegum crisis for 25 bucks, Excel Saga the IM-perfect collection for 40, and Noir for 20, which is under a hundred bucks so this "rescue" isn't really needed, especially since you can still readily find these for decent prices, same way when FUNi got Disgaea and Armitage, they aren't selling it for any cheaper

I know it may sound weird but $40 is a lot for an older show according to most. As if American prices aren't the cheapest they have ever been. People still can't justify spending that much.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
No point in picking up Excel Saga unless it has the liner notes, too. But Puni Puni Poemi's the only arc from that series with any replay value, and I can still get it w/ Dragon Half, so that's all I care about. Cool

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
I mean a few big titles from yesteryear always draw hardcore fans...Evangelion, Gundam, Utena, that kind of thing. Were these three titles big enough to sustain another release? Relative to their cost?

Problem is nobody knows the cost or why neo-ADV didn't/wasn't able to renew.

Dagon123 wrote:
Pretty sure that at least 2 of these are constant long-tail sellers, not that they were price constrained sellers. FUNi probably was able to work out a deal where as long as the sales rate keeps up, it is worth it for them. Also, being $50 in the classics line will mean these will be found at the same prices or cheaper at regular, not sale prices.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
You know what would be a really cool announcement, especially at Otakon, Funi? Paranoia Agent.

Dear lord, this. I own the old Geneon singles myself, but it's an utter crime that people can't buy the series today without handing over their firstborn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5