• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Excel Saga, Noir, Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Already got ADV's singles for Excel Saga cheap a few months ago, still brand-new and sealed to boot. Will be buying Noir.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Bubblegum Crisis has always been on my list of "things I really ought to watch," so hopefully this will make that easier.

You know what would be a really cool announcement, especially at Otakon, Funi? Paranoia Agent.

Too bad this isn't that Bubblegum Crisis.

And when you do watch the original OVAs, watch them in HD. Because even if they're not the most perfect animations suited for BD, they're a whole hell of a lot better than the old terrible DVD transfers.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that ADV/Sentai let Bubblegum Crisis 2040 go, because IIRC they helped co-produce it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
All I've got to say is there's no way in hell I'm gonna support Crapamation in their neverending quest to ripoff Sentai/ADV stuff that they dubbed-shame on them!!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
All I've got to say is there's no way in hell I'm gonna support Crapamation in their neverending quest to ripoff Sentai/ADV stuff that they dubbed-shame on them!!

How is it a rip-off might I ask? If the license was lost when ADV went under then it's up for grabs.

Anyways already have Excel Saga in the singles so I won't get this, never seen Noir nor BC 2040 so I don't know about them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I'm surprised that ADV/Sentai let Bubblegum Crisis 2040 go, because IIRC they helped co-produce it.

Don't forget that ADV technically doesn't exist anymore. AeSir inherited their old licenses, but it's quite possible they didn't gain an option to have first shot at renewal. Funimation may have outbid them, or Sentai chose to spend money acquiring newer titles instead.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
ADV Films licenses: Noir and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. All three titles will be released in North America in 2011.

That is a promising start. Now all that remains to be licensed is the original Bubblegum Crisis, an inexpensive copy of which I'm having difficulty locating.

You can get it new off Amazon for $30.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Is Noir really that good? I've never bothered to look into it before.
Watch El Cazador at ANN, Hulu, or YouTube, and if you like it, but want a girls with guns show that's a bit more film noir, then you'll probably like Noir.

I know that Mike Toole loves him some Bee Train girls with guns series, so I expect he'll be pushing to the front of the line to keep his collection complete.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
El Cazador is extremely terrible compared to Noir, whereas Noir actually had stuff advancing the plot every few episodes, El Cazador was just the two girls heading South and stopping by random towns every episode.

Not to mention, Noir is one of Kajiura's highest acclaimed OSTs whereas Cazador isn't nearly as good.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Whether you like the shows or not, it's great news that older shows like these are being made available again.

I'll be curious to see if Funi includes all those secretive little extras for Noir. Just Google "Noir DVD easter eggs" you'll see a surprising list on things you can see on the old ADV discs. Although, an extra referencing ADV on a Funi disc might be a little *awkward*. Laughing

(edit) Also, I never thought Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 was all that bad, I have a soft spot for old school cel animation.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Noir: Already got the former ADV's thinpack.

Excel Saga, BC2040: Let's hope FUNimation takes as good care of these shows as ADV did.
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
El Cazador is extremely terrible compared to Noir, whereas Noir actually had stuff advancing the plot every few episodes, El Cazador was just the two girls heading South and stopping by random towns every episode.

Not to mention, Noir is one of Kajiura's highest acclaimed OSTs whereas Cazador isn't nearly as good.
I wouldn't say El Cazador was terrible compared to Noir just a bit different. El Cazador had tons of comedic moments and just had fun with its self. The reaccuring tranny bounty hunter and the "tacos tacos" thing gave El Cazador a sense of humor that Noir never had.

And as for the soundtrack, in my book both Noir and El Cazador loss out to Madlax's ost. But yeah the music in El Cazador is pretty forgettable.
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
If Funi says these anime are coming out in 2011 then that means there coming in 2012. No problem for me though. I'm not buying any of these "new" releases.
Katane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
NOIR is great pickup by Funi and I'm glad that that they did pick it up. I haven't seen Excel Saga or Bubblegum Crisis 204 yet but knowing Funi I bet they'll start streaming it soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

Don't forget that ADV technically doesn't exist anymore. AeSir inherited their old licenses, but it's quite possible they didn't gain an option to have first shot at renewal. Funimation may have outbid them, or Sentai chose to spend money acquiring newer titles instead.
Or were forced to choose between renewing all or none, or were denied renewal, or who knows what other oddity in the bizarre world of contracts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5