• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Excel Saga, Noir, Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
ADV Films licenses: Noir and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. All three titles will be released in North America in 2011.

That is a promising start. Now all that remains to be licensed is the original Bubblegum Crisis, an inexpensive copy of which I'm having difficulty locating.

Got the Japanese Bluray set - its about as good as the original will ever look. Pretty damn gorgeous. Of course it isnt cheap, but then again, mine was a present Wink
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
I'm surprised that ADV/Sentai let Bubblegum Crisis 2040 go, because IIRC they helped co-produce it.

Don't forget that ADV technically doesn't exist anymore. AeSir inherited their old licenses, but it's quite possible they didn't gain an option to have first shot at renewal. Funimation may have outbid them, or Sentai chose to spend money acquiring newer titles instead.

AeSir Holdings is disinterested in ADV's old 2001-2004 catolouge, Section23 instead is more interested in aqcuiring newer licenses and is working on new dub investments considering that both Matt Greenfield and John Ledford just returned from Japan, Section23 is more inclined in its new catolouge than trying to renew licenses a decade or so old.

Considering the fact that ADV as a label is long history and that its name is defunct, it wouldn't make any sense for any 2001 licenses to be reprinted under Sentai. Also, ADV already rereleased alot of these titles as thinpack boxsets during 2006-2007 and most of them aren't very hard to find.

Funimation seems to be only rescuing titles from '01-04 so this means we'll see more titles from that period get the Funimation reprint.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd buy the license for the original OVAs off of AnimEigo and release the Blu-Ray versions. But then, I like AnimEigo's subtitles better than Funimation's shitty ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Bubblegum Crisis has always been on my list of "things I really ought to watch," so hopefully this will make that easier.

You know what would be a really cool announcement, especially at Otakon, Funi? Paranoia Agent.

Too bad this isn't that Bubblegum Crisis.

And when you do watch the original OVAs, watch them in HD. Because even if they're not the most perfect animations suited for BD, they're a whole hell of a lot better than the old terrible DVD transfers.

Ah, thanks for the info. Though... watching them HD would require getting the BluRays from Japan. And having a BluRay player. And an HD TV. None of which is even remotely within the bounds of my budget at the moment. Anime hyper
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm assuming Excel Saga won't have the AD-Vidnotes, so I'll just end up tracking down the IM-Perfect collection (like have been for a few months, actually).

Why do they always drop those?

It's the one ting I hated about FUNi's Pani Poni boxset.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But Puni Puni Poemi's the only arc from that series with any replay value, and I can still get it w/ Dragon Half, so that's all I care about. Cool

I've already bought the double pack with Puni Puni Poemy 2 days ago but it came with the hilarious Kekko Kamen OVA. Cool
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
You can get it new off Amazon for $30.

Not Region 2, where the poster originates from.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Already have all 3 shows on DVD with all possible extras. But if Funi can make these rescues work, more power to them.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm assuming Excel Saga won't have the AD-Vidnotes, so I'll just end up tracking down the IM-Perfect collection (like have been for a few months, actually).

They're an ADV patent/trademark, so the rights to use them likely don't come with the rights for the series.

penguintruth wrote:
But then, I like AnimEigo's subtitles better than Funimation's shitty ones.
I don't see what's inherently shitty about Funi's subs -- at least
they don't break
every subtitle with
more than three
words into two
lines or have ridiculous timing hangs where short sentences like "Hey, what's that?" stay on the screen for 4 seconds longer than they need to, like every single AnimEigo subbing job I've seen. Though when it comes to translation/editing/writing, AE doesn't lose out to anyone.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Already have all 3 shows on DVD with all possible extras. But if Funi can make these rescues work, more power to them.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

They're an ADV patent/trademark, so the rights to use them likely don't come with the rights for the series.

Oh, I see. I was not aware of that.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Having already double dipped (singles & chipboard thinpak) on Excel Saga & found an acceptable version of BGC2040 (Essential Anime), I'm good there. If Noir's price is reasonable enough, I'll consider it. (I'm also kind of a sucker for Steelbooks, so that wouldn't hurt at all Embarassed )

Ditto the comment on Paranoia Agent. It should be more widely available. Although, I'll probably stick with my set. I stumbled on all four volumes in the box (not the box set) secondhand (I know I know) for about $30 IIRC. That's not a deal you pass up on a show like that Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't see what's inherently shitty about Funi's subs -- at least
they don't break
every subtitle with
more than three
words into two
lines or have ridiculous timing hangs where short sentences like "Hey, what's that?" stay on the screen for 4 seconds longer than they need to, like every single AnimEigo subbing job I've seen. Though when it comes to translation/editing/writing, AE doesn't lose out to anyone.

I haven't noticed that in AnimEigo releases, but outside of BGC, I don't own many other titles of theirs.

What I have noticed is that a lot of Funimation subtitles don't have bold enough outlines and blend in with the picture too much.

The only respectable subtitles I've seen in Funimation releases are for DBZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
So what exactly is the deal with ADV's licenses then? Did they lose them when they restructured or did these just expire? In either case, does this mean their other shows are also available?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Oh cool. I may finally get to own Excel Saga DVDs for the right price. I'm leaning toward Noir as it seems interesting to me.

'Fraid I'll have to back out on Bubblegum Crisis 2040 because it didn't seem to appeal me much. :/

Kudos to FUNi for rescuing them, though! Anime smile
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No point in picking up Excel Saga unless it has the liner notes, too. But Puni Puni Poemi's the only arc from that series with any replay value, and I can still get it w/ Dragon Half, so that's all I care about. Cool

Excel Saga is one of the sets I wouldn't doubt my daughter practically wore out. The episode where she is assigned to kill the author. The one where Sandora was enslaved drawing animation. Menchie. The Puuchuus. Nabeshin's background ep. THe monster movie satire. Hyatt dying. Iwata is so fricken stupid. The Roppanmatsu's.
Quote:
ILPALAZZO IS WATCHING YOU!
The contents of this Excel Saga videogram are licensed for private home viewing purposes only and are protected under the terms of both U.S. Code(Title 17, Sections 501 & 506) and the 1998 ACROSS treaty (AKA the Don’t Touch My Toot-toot Pact).
Under the express orders of Ilpalazzo, supreme leader of ACROSS, any unauthorized duplication, public screening or use of the packaging as a coaster, musical instrument or contraceptive device is strictly prohibited, and will be dealt with in the most severe manner possible, most probably involving chicken feathers, cod liver oil and a very, very depraved walrus.

Ep 1 credits-
Quote:
Ms. Calvello’s Wardrobe by Straight Jackets “R” Us. Person Who Lost The Most Hair on this Volume Matt Greenfield. Translator Psychiatric care-Dr. U.R.Nuttz. Resident Fanboy Andrew Kent.

It is such a fun show.
You have to step thru that one (first?) trap door drop & all the stuff she passes.
Not to mention the great cast in Japanese. Calvello was good, but Mitsuishi is incredible. Koyasu, Okiayu, Morikubo...
I bought the singles as they were being released.

Bubblegum 2040 is interesting, but I have it (singles again, but bought used). Old school Cyberpunk. Noir-never got past 2 dvds. Never found it compelling enough. Actually, I seem to recall it irritated me. I believe it was some artistic trick but I'd have to watch it again to remember.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So what exactly is the deal with ADV's licenses then? Did they lose them when they restructured or did these just expire? In either case, does this mean their other shows are also available?
Most of them were transferred to the holding company but some were lost with the shell move. These probably later expired or weren't renewed for one reason or another. The holding company really only exists so they can continue to profit off what they did have as they slowly drop most of the licenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5