• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh on Gundam UC

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sinterniklaas: Because there's so much confusion about Full Frontal, we felt it was appropriate to get a new actor.

More like Michael Kopsa's in Vancouver, so uh, nooo.

Should be more interesting to see who they get to play Bright. It would be that character's fourth recast, the most of any other in the franchise. Not to mention he'll have to be recast for the first time in Japan too.

Quote:
Sinterniklaas: But it would be cool if we could draw in a mecha-Shiva fighting a Gundam, and I would like to see Dean playing with a Gundam model kit sometime.

Seems more up 21's alley, heh.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:

They could have gotten Steven Blum. He played Char in those awful movie dubs.

Anyway, Gundam Unicorn probably has the best English dub a Gundam anime has ever received, so I'm extremely grateful to Sinterniklaas and Sheh for their work on and in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
RedTail wrote:

They could have gotten Steven Blum. He played Char in those awful movie dubs.

Anyway, Gundam Unicorn probably has the best English dub a Gundam anime has ever received, so I'm extremely grateful to Sinterniklaas and Sheh for their work on and in it.

I think even less people remember Blum has Char than Kopsa or Edwards.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
I think even less people remember Blum has Char than Kopsa or Edwards.

He was a better Char than Edwards was, that's for sure.

I shudder just thinking about the Zeta Gundam dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Gundam 0083 would like to have a word with you.

Cima's English actor > ALL.

Audrey and Banagher are the only two characters that aren't cast appropriately in my opinion. Audrey sounds too childish in the English version and lacks the firm resolve that the Japanese version has. Banagher is just... well Shiro and Seabook, which doesn't jive well with me. Granted his actor is cast as close to the original as possible, and I agree they have similar tones and what not, still doesn't sit well with me.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
That last question pleased me since it's what I was thinking. Sure, the answer was obvious, but still.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

Wooden voice acting everywhere in that dub. The only good performances are by the old men characters (Delaz, Burning, Synapse, Cohen) and Cima.

It's not even one of the better Gundam dubs. But then again, it's also a weak Gundam OVA in itself.

Quote:
Banagher is just... well Shiro and Seabook, which doesn't jive well with me. Granted his actor is cast as close to the original as possible, and I agree they have similar tones and what not, still doesn't sit well with me.

Staley is a perfect Banagher but sucks as the other two. He was way too young sounding as Shiro and his Seabook was kind of flat.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Woo can't wait to get volume 2...
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:

Wooden voice acting everywhere in that dub. The only good performances are by the old men characters (Delaz, Burning, Synapse, Cohen) and Cima.

It's not even one of the better Gundam dubs. But then again, it's also a weak Gundam OVA in itself.

0083's dub was great and done at a time when Animaze was around its peak. The only character who comes off sounding somewhat wooden is Gato, but given how his character was written, its entirely appropriate.

IMO, best VA in that dub is easily Sean Mitchell as Chuck Keith.
smilydude13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought 0083's dub was pretty bad to be honest. The people that bugged me the most were probably Kou and Nina.

Cool interview. Episode 2 was great, although it really makes this wait in between episodes painful. Is there any possibility that they'll ever release the novels here? I would really like to read them.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RedTail"]
Quote:

Should be more interesting to see who they get to play Bright. It would be that character's fourth recast, the most of any other in the franchise. Not to mention he'll have to be recast for the first time in Japan too.

Four? Is that right? I thought it would be 3. He was recast in Zeta, and in the MSG movies, but wasn't the original actor still in Char's Counterattack?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
He was a better Char than Edwards was, that's for sure.

I shudder just thinking about the Zeta Gundam dub.

Oh c'mon it wasn't that bad. I actually thought Edwards did a good job sounding a lot like the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ANN. Nice interview.

I have to agree with penguintruth. UC has an extremely good dub. All the voices sound so natural to me. They don't sound like people trying to do an impression of their character.

Last edited by pajmo9 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
0083's dub was great and done at a time when Animaze was around its peak. The only character who comes off sounding somewhat wooden is Gato, but given how his character was written, its entirely appropriate.

IMO, best VA in that dub is easily Sean Mitchell as Chuck Keith.

I'm having a lot of trouble processing this. Uraki in particular was one of the worst sounding main character's I've ever heard in an anime. If I had to describe it, I'd say Paul Stephen sounded like a bad Johnny Yong Bosch knockoff or something.

There were very few voices I enjoyed. I'll agree with you on Keith but I disagree on Gato, I felt Thornton provided one of the only good performances in the show. I also agree with penguintruth on the older characters.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, my favorite dubs have been 00 (especially by season 2) and UC. The prior ones range from tolerable to suck in my opinion.

A great interview.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3