• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Puella Magi Madoka Magica's Voice Samples Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So who's body is ready?! Laughing

I'm curious what the screenwriter will do with a rather light-hearted premise.
Starks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
>Light-hearted
>Yuki Kajiura

Choose one.

This is going to be a shit-hits-the-fan kind of series masked by a saccharine beginning.

Watch this be the next Nanoha.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:
>Light-hearted
>Yuki Kajiura

Choose one.

This is going to be a shit-hits-the-fan kind of series masked by a saccharine beginning.

Considering that Urobuchi is involved, I except most of the cast to be either dead or crazy by the last episode.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
On top of that they chose someone as versatile as Aoi Yuki to voice the lead. Her more popular roles have been tough/loud girls and monotone girls, so for her to be doing something "sweet" like this voice when there are hundreds of similar sounding actresses out there probably means they want to utilize her range.

So yeah, I'll be surprised if this remains a fluffy magical girl show from start to finish.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I-I...I don't really know how to feel about this
My gut reaction is telling me that this show was not made with my tastes in mind (and please note that I am an avid Magical girl fan)
from the leads' fake smile to her sad sounding voice and considering the staff involved, they seem to be making another Nanoha like others have said.
But despite that, I'm still hoping i'm wrong and Madoka Magica will be the quality magical girl show I've been waiting for.

At the very least, I hope the inevitable fan service is tasteful.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Starks"Watch this be the next Nanoha.[/quote]

OH GOD, PLEASE MAKE IT SO!!!!
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Starks wrote:

OH GOD, PLEASE MAKE IT SO!!!!

YES YES YES YES!

My nutbladder has shattered, my body is ready... January, you are going to rock my world.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:

I'm expecting it to be something along the lines of Nanoha meets Tsukuyomi Moon Phase meets Petite Cossette.

kawaiibunny3 wrote:
But despite that, I'm still hoping i'm wrong and Madoka Magica will be the quality magical girl show I've been waiting for.

There is no doubt in my mind that it will be the highest quality magical girl show we've seen in years. It just may not be the kind of magical girl show you want.
Kuchibiru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
YESSSSS.

Oh yes. God, I am... I don't even know how to express what I'm feeling right now. I'm just so excited for this. It's like every aspect of an anime I ever liked it being put into one show, including character design, animation director, and studio.

Please be amazing. Be another Nanoha if you must, but just be amazing. I loved Nanoha, so, I have no problem in that regard.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
M-my body wasn't ready
hnnnnng

I can't wait, the voice is perfect ~
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I DON'T want from this new show:

1) A Nanoha clone.
2) A Pretty Cure clone.
3) A Sailormoon clone.

Now, something more akin to Minky Momo but with better storytelling, that I will be interested in.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
Now, something more akin to Minky Momo but with better storytelling, that I will be interested in.

Not a chance in HELL/PURGATORY/HEAVEN or anything in between. Minky Momo went out of style in the early '90. This is 2010. The appeal for something like that is close to zero.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sacto0562 wrote:

Not a chance in HELL/PURGATORY/HEAVEN or anything in between. Minky Momo went out of style in the early '90. This is 2010. The appeal for something like that is close to zero.

dont be so quick to write that off. trends do go in cycles after all.
The Creamy Mami/Jem formula still works to this day (hello Hannah Montana and Full Moon o Sagashite)

and actually a Minky Momo stage production came out not to long ago, and i believe it was successful. rumors of a new Minky Momo series coming out in the 30th anniversary year were buzzing a bit too (although now with Takeshi Shudo's unfortunate passing, not sure if that's still being negotiated)

and I think LilPri is a pretty good representation of the gimmicks magical girls in the 80s had up their sleeves (little girls turn into older pop idols to restore happiness and dreams to the world) I dont know how it competes with Pretty Cure from a profit perspective, but someone out there likes it I imagine.

this probably doesn't apply to Madoka here, since it looks like a total otaku show and not for little girls, but i still think there's always a chance to re-sell certain formulas to viewers if you have the right marketing team behind you.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
I did not mean that as an insult to that genre, I just meant that judging from the anime that came out in the last 10 years with the bearing of "magical girl" has been of different styles. That's why I said it was out of style in the 2000s.

Also, I was talking about this show, and this show alone, as not having any chance to be anything other then
1) A Nanoha clone.
2) A Pretty Cure clone.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Also, I was talking about this show, and this show alone, as not having any chance to be anything other then
1) A Nanoha clone.
2) A Pretty Cure clone.

I dunno... Shinbo doesn't tend to do clones of other shows. Even of ones he's worked on previously. I do expect it to have some things in common with Nanoha, but nowhere near enough to be called a clone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1