• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Neighbor Yamada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I remember when BGHK was announced for streaming, I was really looking forward to it based on the premise, as I figured it would be a sex comedy with the actual sex happening off screen.

Like School Days but spoiler[ funny and minus the death and dismemberment]

So once the actual premise was revealed, I was really bored and couldn't really get back from that. I wish it had originally been marketed differently.

Yet The Town Moves is on my short list to pickup once I clear up my backlog a little, so it's good to hear positive press.

I thought SCHOOL DAYS was funny too: depending on how you approach it it's either an extremely stupid harem show or a brilliant satire of harem shows--I'm leaning toward the latter. I would have also been disappointed with YAMADA if I had first seen it with my expectations based on Funi's trailers and my own ideas on what it was going to be like, but a recent ANN review gave me a better idea of what kind of show it was.

I wasn't too impressed with AS YET the first time I saw it, but it's one of those shows that I like better each time I re-watch it--it's becoming one of my favorite slice-of-life shows. I don't get the PING PONG CLUB comparison, except for the ping pong episode , and also maybe how both shows subvert fanservice expectations. The idea of having a shabby maid cafe is great. I also really like Hotori's character design--kinda looks like a dorky version of Yotuba's(YOTSUBA&) neighbor(the middle sister)--and she is one of the best and most unique anime "stupid girls"spoiler[though she was able to solve the picture puzzle because of her odd way of thinking.]
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...And Yet the Town Moves...SHAFT /Shinbo touch (amazing that you got through the entire review without mentioning these industry darlings)...
Chiaki Omigawa has also become a favorite VA, she has a distinctive voice that fits the role perfectly.

When I first took over Shelf Life I started trying to add director and studio information, but the reviews were getting way too long for the column. I love learning about this kind of thing (the director, writer, their other works, etc.) but find I don't always have time to look it up before my deadline hits me in the face. I guess I'm saying I'm reliant on forum-goers like yourself to hit some of the finer points...

jr0904 wrote:
I was also shocked that she also put it in shelf worthy as well. Was expecting the series to be in perishable since ecchi/fanservice type series were never Erin's favourites.

I liked BGHK precisely because I was expecting an ecchi/fanservice show and did not get one! Yamada is the opposite of a buxom alien/magic/angel/sodacan who comes to live in Takashi's home. At no point do more girls throw themselves at Takashi. In fact, despite the boob-tastic banner for the show, I don't recall bouncing breasts at all, really... BGHK just isn't "that kind of show".

"Fanservice" by definition, is nudity (or whathaveyou) that falls outside of the plot, it's just there "for the fans". In BGHK most (if not all) the underwear and nudity is (shockingly) part of the plot.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...And Yet the Town Moves...SHAFT /Shinbo touch (amazing that you got through the entire review without mentioning these industry darlings)...
Chiaki Omigawa has also become a favorite VA, she has a distinctive voice that fits the role perfectly.

When I first took over Shelf Life I started trying to add director and studio information, but the reviews were getting way too long for the column. I love learning about this kind of thing (the director, writer, their other works, etc.) but find I don't always have time to look it up before my deadline hits me in the face. I guess I'm saying I'm reliant on forum-goers like yourself to hit some of the finer points...

jr0904 wrote:
I was also shocked that she also put it in shelf worthy as well. Was expecting the series to be in perishable since ecchi/fanservice type series were never Erin's favourites.

I liked BGHK precisely because I was expecting an ecchi/fanservice show and did not get one! Yamada is the opposite of a buxom alien/magic/angel/sodacan who comes to live in Takashi's home. At no point do more girls throw themselves at Takashi. In fact, despite the boob-tastic banner for the show, I don't recall bouncing breasts at all, really... BGHK just isn't "that kind of show".

"Fanservice" by definition, is nudity (or whathaveyou) that falls outside of the plot, it's just there "for the fans". In BGHK most (if not all) the underwear and nudity is (shockingly) part of the plot.

oh thank god some really knows what fan-service really is it actually makes me happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Strictly speaking, that definition makes a show like Seikon no Qwaser not a fanservice show (the boobs are central to the plot!), so it could probably use a bit of tuning.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Strictly speaking, that definition makes a show like Seikon no Qwaser not a fanservice show (the boobs are central to the plot!), so it could probably use a bit of tuning.

Character and costume design also matter a lot. Yamada is a healthy girl with realistic proportions, and her outfits are all drawn based on reality (I would suspect). I'm afraid of Google Imaging surfing for Seikon no Qwaser at work, so I can't make the comparison just now...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Seikon no Qwaser is definitely fanservice-orientated and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Heck, next I know someone will be trying to tell me that the recent boob-slicing Anime isn't fanservice-orientated, which - if it happens - would probably rank as one of the dumbest things I'll ever hear.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm saying that there's more to being fanservice than just not being relevant to the plot. It's a matter of gratuitousness, and in some shows, the show itself is what's gratuitous.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I see your point. The definition does need to be altered a bit.
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
LOL. Just noticed in the first pic of Richard's shelves he has some adult manga and doujinshi. Shocking Pink, Yuka Nakajima's DL SOS, huh. Not bad.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
In particular, the title, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, could have used a better translation, I think, such as Nevertheless the Neighborhood Goes On or And Yet the Town Survives or something like that.

The title is a reference to a quote attributed to Galileo, "Eppur si muove" (English "And yet it moves" and Japanese "Soredemo chikyuu wa ugoku") so "And Yet the Town Moves" reflects this.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
IMO BGHK's premise is pretty gross. Like some weird twist on Pokemon. 'STD's - gotta catch em all'. If sex is an ooey gooey treat, like a nice caramel chew, this show made me feel like it was all about dropping said chew on a theatre floor first before eating it. I didn't get very far in the first show before the basic concept just turned me off.

So, hearing that it doesn't really start the clicking the F-O-meter, that one might expect, I have given it a 2nd look. So far so good. One of the thing's I'm liking is that everyone around her acknowledges that there is something not right about her. She really is just kind of misguided, shallow and selfish and no one takes her too seriously.

So as long as the 'goal' stays off on the horizon I think I can enjoy the 'comedy of errors' style.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
nottimkai wrote:
"Richard" has good taste. His selection of manga shows this, as well as the Haibane Renmei wall scroll.

Perks, sir.

(Also perks for full set of Empowered books, Glad someone else enjoys this)

Good reviews this week, and a cool take on B gata H kei. I may have to check this series out after all.

I love Empowered Smile nice mixture of fanservice and humor and there's real emotional weight to the character relationships. I may check B Gata H Kei out now after this review, I didn't have an issue with the initial pitch for the series (it's her body, so whether to have sex with 100 people or not is her choice, and it's refreshing to see a girl who actually has a sex drive, like in real life*), but I thought it would probably be handled:

A) poorly
B) in a way that pandered to male otaku.

Glad to hear that's not the case.

*with the occasional asexual exception of course, same as for those of any gender.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4