• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Leiji Matsumoto's Ozma TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
According to Crunchyroll's site announcement:
Quote:
Let's keep the good times rolling with the addition of a NEW show to our spring lineup: OZMA. It will begin broadcasting THIS Saturday at 8:00am PDT.

That would be 11am Saturday EDT, not 11pm Sunday EDT ~ IOW, 24 hours after Japanese broadcast, just like Viki.com.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Even if Yuuki designed the characters, there's not too much influence he can have on Matsumoto's Sameface. Most Yuuki designs as of late haven't been too inspiring, like what he did to Maken-ki. Glad it's directed by Takahashi, that guy always has a nice vision when it comes to these sorts of stories with mixing practical with supernatural. Too bad the character designer isn't Norio Shioyama, then we could have another Chirico-clone.

I have a feeling this won't get too much following outside of the people who admire older anime and older anime creators like Takahashi and Matsumoto, so having CR do it means at least some consistent releasing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy about this. I had thought that it would be overlooked because it's airing before the spring season and Leiji Matsumoto is a bit 'old fashioned', so I'm glad that it will be available. I'm curious to see what audience this ends up appealing to. Between my love of Galaxy Express 999 and the promise of some bleakness, it has some of my buttons pressed. Besides, being virtually an OVA, at least given its length, and having the strange, slightly frustrating, yet strangely comforting uniformity of Leiji Matsumoto's designs both appeal to me.

It's nice to see an old school talent like Ryousuke Takahashi involved, although 'Chief Director' is a disheartening nebulous term. I'm not sure how much confidence I should have in most of the direction being handled by somebody whose only prior gig as a series director was something called Slap Up Party. I know nothing about that series, but the title... does not inspire confidence. Junki Takegami has a pretty diverse record as a writer, which seems typical, so I'll just hope that it comes out better than Birth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing this. The storyline has me intrigued.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
Oh, I love Matsumoto's design sense. His characters and vehicles always have that nice feel. With the better drawing, inking, and coloring available today, those designs still work. Same goes for most of Tezuka's character designs.

I wish more anime series took to heart that retro-design appeal.

One of the big highlights for me in Project A-Ko and Excel Saga was seeing the Harlock and Yamato homages. What they did with the Starsha home in Excel Saga was hilarious! That was a nonsensical series that was written by a drunk screenwriter but was always good for a life on the massive number of in-jokes.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does Crunchyroll listed itself as the publisher for Ozma? So are they (CR) part of the production committee now?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Oh good, I was hoping someone would stream this. I don't get wowow, and thought it looked interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Decided to marathon this when stream is finished
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, Viki.com streams Oniisama E... and a few other anime. Never heard of them before.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Whoa, Viki.com streams Oniisama E... and a few other anime. Never heard of them before.

Viki.com have become a big hit over the past year as far as kdramas go, but they seem to be leveraging their inside position as a member of the OZMA production committee to make a push into Anime starting now, as suggested by their blog post on the subject.

For instance, when I checked the site Friday mid-day, Onii-sama E had not yet hit their ranking system, and the first comment at the Onii-sama E page went up on later Friday.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Any word why they chose to switch the name from "Ozuma"? I guess just because you can't really hear the "u" when they say it? On a practical point though, it would have been easier to distinguish in a web search for the simple reason that there are already a few Ozmas in fiction and pop culture.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company will stream the series worldwide outside of Asia starting on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. EDT.

Quote:
... and Viki will stream the series 24 hours later outside Japan.

Quote:
Update: Release date and time corrected. Thanks, agila61.

Release time corrected ~ release date still says Crunchyroll streams it Sunday (while noting that Viki streams it Saturday).

Crunchyroll definitely streams it Saturday, I already watched it. Viki streams it worldwide outside of Japan and Crunchyroll worldwide outside of Asia, both at 11am Saturday EDT.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Any word why they chose to switch the name from "Ozuma"? I guess just because you can't really hear the "u" when they say it? On a practical point though, it would have been easier to distinguish in a web search for the simple reason that there are already a few Ozmas in fiction and pop culture.

That's the official english spelling according to Leji himself (probably)
It was a prod committee decision.

Actually the show title is supposed to be OZMA (all caps).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Japanese has a pretty strict syllable structure, it allows only (C)V syllables, which is to say that there must be a vowel and the may be a single onset consonant, but never consonant clusters or consonant codas. There's also the homorganic nasal, but that forms, I think, syllables on its own. /u/ has become a sort of disposable vowel that can be used to satisfy the syllable structure in a borrowed or imaginary word where it's not otherwise meant to appear. I suppose that /u/ might just be easiest to sort of voluntarily mute. (It already tends to disappear at the end of words) So even though Leiji Matsumoto means OZMA, that's not a valid Japanese word because of the VC syllable, so it has to be written ozuma. I'm not sure about the pronunciation; Japanese devoices vowels in some contexts, but I don't believe it occurs between voiced consonants. (Things like this happen in other language with similar syllable structure, Hawai`ian has to render 'Christmas' as Kalikimaka)

Yeah, sorry, I was an undergraduate linguistics major.

samuelp wrote:
Actually the show title is supposed to be OZMA (all caps).

I'll bet there are a few people who are relieved that it's not OZMO.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Still...

I doubt we'll see any scarecrows or tin men.

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2