• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hunter × Hunter Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
As I said from very beginning, this rendition might turn out to be good, but worse than original. The question was how much worse? Will it be really good or mediocre? For now, ANN rank proves that this project became one of the countless ones with "Very good" rating (I personally did not vote, though), instead of incredibly rare for this genre "Excellent", as was original series.

The reasons why this show got lower rating might include -- not by order of importance:
1) cutting some original manga material (though some fanboys assert that this version is more close to manga -- as we see even in this thread);
2) inclusion of few quite stupid small filler material (Killua incident and "lets put more cool monsters so it would look more like One Peace);
3) no its own style; even opening song is an attempt to "lets make another One Peace of this show";
4) at average, quite dreadful music (though it improves: there were couple of interesting themes lately);
5) bland backgrounds, no details -- nothing improved visually except for the format now is 16:9 instead of 4:3. Even more: at least in some parts they even simplified characters' outfits to make this anime cheaper.

Overall, this anime is somewhere in between being mediocre and good. And better part of this estimation comes thanks to story/character design, id est from mangaka. Because the anime itself, as Carls says, represents much "less than spectacular execution", which is a pure mediocrity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3