• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Killing Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And yet again, you miss the obvious point. I don't care that the skirts didn't obey physics, the real issue is that the skirts should not be there in the first place. Geez, you can't even understand that one easy-to-understand point. Would you like me to spell it out for you? 'Cause at this rate I may have to.

No, I think you miss the even larger point, which is how you're obsessing over something that ultimately does not even matter.

I don't think you understand how anime sells? Miniskirts sell better than pants. The end. That's how the world works. That's why there are miniskirts. It has nothing to do with physics or space or logic. It has to do with money. Money trumps anime logic any day of the week.

Also, I never said Space Pirates = Asimov. I just said it gave me the same joy as when I first started enjoying s.f.

I think you take everything way too literally, bro.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Symphogear is pretty underrated if you ask me. Sure, it's clear all the animation budget went to Space Pirates and Aquarion, and it is kind of silly but the characters are endearing and the fights are pretty good. Won't knock your socks off but I find myself really liking it.

Minor correction; the majority of animation is being done by Encourage Films, a new animation studio (which I think did the anime-stills for the Nanoha PSP games). Satelight is only for the most part, a back up and support, similar to how it's mainly Satelight for Aquarion with 8bit supporting.

But yeah, Symphogay doesn't get enough credit for being enjoyable. It won't blow your socks off but the show is mildly entertaining. I watched it because of the OST. Not to mention Hibiki's pretty much Subaru Nakajima MK. II (*coughOpeningcough*)

The reason I'm calling it Symphogay is because Hibiki's pretty displaying Subaru's relationship with Tea, but with Tsubasa and Miku. Oh and Ryoko, Episode 3. They aren't even trying to hide it.
Undertones? More like OVERtones.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I've never subscribed to the "girls can't be really close friends, only lesbians" belief that seems common in fandoms like Nanoha's.

However in Symphogear it's quite clear that Miku sees Hibiki as more than a friend. Heck, she was this close to falt out confessing.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And yet again, you miss the obvious point. I don't care that the skirts didn't obey physics, the real issue is that the skirts should not be there in the first place.

I make a solemn oath right here and now, if I'm still alive when space travel is privatized and I get to experience it myself, the first thing I'm doing is putting on a skirt and stamping words on my panties that states, "How do you like this, dtm42?" And then I'm gonna flash every camera I come across.

You're welcome.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to starting Chihayafuru, Another, and Boobooboo-boob boo-booboob. With Chihaya and Another running down, it looks to be just about time to start them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

So many people have told me that I take things too seriously that at times I've almost believed them. But what I always tell myself is that I have standards - decent standards - and that I should apply them objectively.

As an Anime fan I understand that crappy writing exists in virtually every show. Even in RahXephon and PMMM - my two most favourite and highly-regarded shows ever - I can pick out the flaws. I try not to let bad writing bother me all the time or else I'd go crazy. But, I also refuse to shy away from it.

That's not being pedantic or whatever, that's just calling it how it is. It's only because Anime has such huge and numerous flaws that I sound like I'm taking things too seriously.

willag wrote:
I make a solemn oath right here and now, if I'm still alive when space travel is privatized and I get to experience it myself, the first thing I'm doing is putting on a skirt and stamping words on my panties that states, "How do you like this, dtm42?" And then I'm gonna flash every camera I come across.

You're welcome.

Are you cute? Because I would totally be happy about that if you are cute and have sexy legs, nice thighs and a tight arse. Oh, and please wear lace underwear as well (making sure to pick a colour that goes well with your skin tone). If you want to go commando, that would be even better. You could shave the "How do you like this, dtm42?" message into your pubic hair, that would be pretty neat. I'd totally save that picture, I promise you that.

But if you're just an old hag (which you will certainly be in the distant future when space travel is finally affordable), then no offense but I'll pass at looking at the pictures.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are you cute? Because I would totally be happy about that if you are cute and have sexy legs, nice thighs and a tight arse. Oh, and please wear lace underwear as well (making sure to pick a colour that goes well with your skin tone). If you want to go commando, that would be even better. You could cut the "How do you like this, dtm42?" message into your pubic hair, that would be pretty neat. I'd totally save that picture, I promise you that.

Dude.

That is the creepiest thing you have ever said, and I've done some mighty creepy things myself.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Willag wasn't being serious and neither was I. Learn to recognise when people are joking around.

And though you admitted it, I still think you should be silent on issues of creepiness. That YouTube video made my jaw drop to the floor so fast it shattered on impact. Thanks a lot pal, now I have to drink through a straw for the next six weeks.

^More joking.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
so.. any thoughts on ano natsu???.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

So many people have told me that I take things too seriously that at times I've almost believed them. But what I always tell myself is that I have standards - decent standards - and that I should apply them objectively.

As an Anime fan I understand that crappy writing exists in virtually every show. Even in RahXephon and PMMM - my two most favourite and highly-regarded shows ever - I can pick out the flaws. I try not to let bad writing bother me all the time or else I'd go crazy. But, I also refuse to shy away from it.

That's not being pedantic or whatever, that's just calling it how it is. It's only because Anime has such huge and numerous flaws that I sound like I'm taking things too seriously.

willag wrote:

You're welcome.

Are you cute? Because I would totally be happy about that if you are cute and have sexy legs, nice thighs and a tight arse. Oh, and please wear lace underwear as well (making sure to pick a colour that goes well with your skin tone). If you want to go commando, that would be even better. You could cut the "How do you like this, dtm42?" message into your pubic hair, that would be pretty neat. I'd totally save that picture, I promise you that.

But if you're just an old hag (which you will certainly be in the distant future when space travel is finally affordable), then no offense but I'll pass at looking at the pictures.

Ok willag that post made me laugh out loud for five minutes, then Dtm42 your comeback had me ROFL.

Now who wants to talk about chiyafuru since it is the top rated show on this site for the past two seasons.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Another is a prime example of lazy writing, IMO. The plot relies too heavily on convenient happenings, and is full of holes. The "mystic eye of death perception" appearance was the final nail in the coffin for the show, because it came out of nowhere and doesn't really fit the already established atmosphere and setting.

Not to mention that its classification of "horror" is quite laughable. It's more like slice-of-life/romance with a random death or three every episode. Except the main cast is never in any real or surreal danger, and nobody with more than 15 minutes of screen time ever gets hurt. Sometime I'd scratch my head and try to remember who it was that just died.

The show's trying too hard but doing it wrong.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
This was a stable fortnight*, especially compared to the tumults in the rankings for the last column.

The last few episodes of Bodacious Space Pirates have still entertained me, but I've felt less engrossed in them than before. For now, it's burning the goodwill that the first five episodes built up without adding much more. It's still a very easy to like show with some good dramatic sensibilities and a lead who's thoroughly endeared herself to me, but it provokes less enthusiasm than in the past. I guess that I'm looking more toward the plot than the excitement of how they get through it. I still hope for something that I can latch onto gleefully to be around the corner, at least by thirteen as a sort of midway 'finale'.

I feel fairly similar to Bamboo about Lagrange ~The Flower of Rin-Ne~, but am more apathetic. I haven't found watching the last few episodes to be a chore as watching the first few were, but after each ends I feel indifferent to the fact that I just watched it and drawn back every week only by a mild curiosity about just where this story will end up. The message from the townsfolk only half affected me, which is a little strange because I can be a real sucker for things like that. I suppose that I don't feel very invested in this, but like I'll regret it if I don't stay with it. It has at least certainly gotten better as the share of time devoted to putzing around has shrunk.

dtm42 wrote:
And yet again, you miss the obvious point. I don't care that the skirts didn't obey physics, the real issue is that the skirts should not be there in the first place. Geez, you can't even understand that one easy-to-understand point. Would you like me to spell it out for you? 'Cause at this rate I may have to.

I have a feeling that most people understand that there's no sensible reason for the miniskirts, but consider their presence so minor and superficial as to regard it as irrelevant or harmless. I have been told that the original author wrote technical articles about space travel, so perhaps the author knew his subjects well, but didn't care to let accuracy get in the way of what he thought was fun. Just because we know that something isn't strictly correct in fiction doesn't mean that we mind that it's wrong. I have a bachelor's degree in linguistics and have read explanations by professional linguists as to why Star Trek's universal translator is nonsense, but I've never had a problem with it and even shrugged most of their silly attempts at making Hoshi Sato say linguisticky things in Enterprise. I had other problems with the series, but trying to play around a little with something that I knew a a few things about and getting it quite wrong wasn't one of them.

To me it seems like a 'Princess and the Pea' scenario, except it's not even a pea, it's just a drawing of one because the guy didn't feel like going all the way to the kitchen and it isn't even under the mattresses because whoever drew it looked all of those mattresses and though, "no way am I moving all of those goddamned mattresses," left it on the nightstand, then went to get a sandwich.

So what I'm saying is that you should go get a sandwich.

Wait, what were we talking about?

*Sure it sounds a little pompous, but if you thinking that, "two-week-period" would be better, I will fight you.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
People say "fortnight" all the time over here to refer to a 2 week period. I had no idea people might consider it pompous Confused
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

You fail by identifying the skirts in space thing as an example of crappy writing. It's not. Bodacious Space Pirates was never intended to be a deadly serious meditation on life in space. If it was, your point would have some merit. It's about a highschool girl who inherits a pirate spaceship, for Pete's sake. In that context, not only are skirts in space not a problem, they are practically de rigeur in the context of what is a sf adventure comedy show. Somebody who actually has standards would recognize this. Instantly.

I guess where maybe you got confused is that unlike a lot of other sf adventure comedy shows, this one decided to treat some aspects of space travel/combat with a little more realism than would be typical for a show with this premise. Again, somebody with decent standards understands how to give things their proper weight. So a person with decent standards could conceivably go, "Hmm, they chose to portray "x" somewhat realistically, yet there's skirts in space. I guess they're not being totally consistent." And then somehow manage to go living the rest of their lives without becoming an unhinged obsessive bore about it.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
People say "fortnight" all the time over here to refer to a 2 week period. I had no idea people might consider it pompous Confused

I'm an American; the rules are different here. "Fortnight," probably falls under the category of 'highfalutin thousand dollar words'. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's it, like racially integrated schools, is against the state constitution in Alabama, but with 827 amendments, mostly about local bingo games, what isn't?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
The only place I can remember seeing "Fortnight" used was in historical novels and British mystery novels. To me it sounds like a deliberate attemt to sound British, like using "mates" to refer to your friends.

I think it was H L Menken who referred to England and the US as two countries seperated by a common language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8