• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Killing Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
There's a difference between not liking something and something being bad.

Perhaps for yourself. Me? Well the list of titles that were both objectively good and which I disliked is a very short one. I'd be actually interested to know which titles would make the list, if any.

Vaisaga wrote:
Maybe you don't like the humps and bumps the train goes over in its journey, but that doesn't mean the train isn't still running properly.

Eh, but if it breaks my spine then it was a bad journey and the train is using old parts and running on poorly-maintained tracks that need replacing.

Okay, I'll stop with the train thing before I get accused of having a train fetish by Blood- and Zac threatens to ban me, LOL.

Yttrbio wrote:
It's also barrels of fun to watch for pretty much the same reason it's so terrible.

I have to disagree. Musashi Gundoh is an example of a show so god-awfully bad that my sides hurt after watching just a few minutes of it. It was bloody hilarious, if only because it was so unsurpassably crap. But I never once laughed or even smiled while watching Guilty Crown, not even at the show's expense.

Hmmm i heard something about trains... also guilty crown was eh... but it seems to light up the image boards lately...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unoeytu3SIA&list=PLE29E3B5837D1FD3A&index=104&feature=plpp_video
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
and made almost no effort to actually tie those elements together to tell a compelling tale.

Would you name some specific things you don't think were tied together? I'll admit some things were just thrown in there just because, like Tsugumi's cat ear accessories, but something like that is incredibly minor. All the major plot points were tied together, even if the connection wasn't immediately apparent.

dtm42 wrote:
Perhaps for yourself. Me? Well the list of titles that were both objectively good and which I disliked is a very short one. I'd be actually interested to know which titles would make the list, if any.

There is still a difference, though. I mean, I hate exercising but that doesn't change the fact that it's good for me ^^"
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's nothing trainwrecky about Guilty Crown. It's plot progressed at a decent pace without getting too muddled or full of holes, pretty much all the major mysteries were addressed and concluded, and the characters and their motivations synced up. From an objective, technical stand point there aren't any serious errors.

Umm, seriously? Okay, maybe it wasn't trainwrecky (nobody has a clear definition of what a tranwreck is anyway so the word just gets thrown around whenever someone doesn't like something), but it was mediocre to the extreme. Pacing indeed was one of the biggest problems of the show, with hefty exposition dumping toward the end of the series, underdeveloped characters, characters with inane motivations, and unneeded concepts. The writing just doesn't qualify as "good". If you want a good example of something that was there "just cause", then look at Daath. Introduced late, never properly explained, not really tied down at the end, and what's worth not really contributing to the story in any major way. And it's pretty much a "borrowed" concept to boot. There's others, but that one's the biggest.

Anyway, rather than rant, here's my short impression of the final ep and the series (cross-post from another board):

Code:
Well, that wasn't bad, but... how do I put it... pretty shallow and boring I guess. Also, cue one of the most nonsensical villain motivations ever.

After some (not overly deep) deliberation, the series gets a "Not really good but not a total waste" score on ANN, which amounts to roughly 4/10. The show had a curious concept, good visuals and even a decent BGM song here and there, but any of the real potential it had was completely wasted - mostly to the poor pacing and the completely unnecessary introduction of the "school" theme. It would've scored higher if it just capitalized on its strength - by turning into a high-paced action-packed fantasy romp that it was at heart. That way it still would have still remained completely useless and brain-dead, but would still be good entertainment and fun to watch. We saw that great potential in a few episodes. But, too little and too spread out - and in the end it's hard to tell just what exactly the show was trying to achieve in its 22 episodes. I've seen 12-episode series that had more meat to the story.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Well, there's this little show called TTGL... Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
I ended up not coming back to Guilty Crown after the Christmas/New Year's break. I guess it didn't help the cliffhanger felt completely spoiler[contrived and utterly stupid. You're saved!... no, actually you're screwed over a bit harder than you were.]

Last edited by Polycell on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Is there some kind of disease running around ANN that makes people feel comfortable discussing plot points of shows without using spoiler tags? I'm running into a lot of that lately. Polycell how about cloaking the relevant part of your post, please.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I was critiquing a pre-break cliffhanger in the most general of terms. Really didn't seem very spoileriffic to me, but I'll slap the tape on it if you really think it counts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks, I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I'm the kind of guy who doesn't want to know anything, even general information about a title I haven't fully watched yet.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
A lot of people called Guilty Crown a bad Code Geass ripoff but at least i was able to finish this series which i can't say for CG. Maybe i've become more tolerant of (or more desensitized to?) cheesy clichés over the years but i've enjoyed Guilty Crown quite a bit (while rolling my eyes and snickering a lot) but i enjoyed it nonetheless. Smile
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I realized with a jolt that this series could've easily been about something else.

I wish it had been. I was liking the show but got tired of the tournaments and training. I know it's a common formula and most of the time I'm ok with it. Kneeling over cards, waiting to swat them, while listening to the same poems over and over just did not rise to the excitement level the characters have. At least from a spectators perspective. I bet it actually would be fun to play. I played sports from an early age up to thru college(Baseball, Tennis, Soccer, Football Track and Field) but never wanted to watch(the one exception was skateboarding). So maybe I'm just not the right person.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
A lot of people called Guilty Crown a bad Code Geass ripoff

I fail to see any significant similarities. Then again, I never made it through CG either, so what do I know.

Quote:
Well, there's this little show called TTGL...

...which is overhyped in just about every way humanly possible. Kind of like Eva. Leave it to Gainax fans! Rolling Eyes
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Merida wrote:

I fail to see any significant similarities. Then again, I never made it through CG either, so what do I know.

There were a few rather obvious references early on but, from all indications, the show ended up being more of a bizarrely twisted version of Evangelion, considering how all the vague pseudo-religious jargon, messed up family dynamics, mad science and apocalyptic phenomena ended up having much more prominence than anything else.

But like I've said before...Guilty Crown's worst offense was its painful mediocrity. Shu and Inori might as well have been literally made out of crystal, if not cardboard, considering just how utterly boring their personalities were. I actually dropped the show a while back, but everything I've heard or read since then (including taking a quick peek at the ending for the sake of curiosity) hasn't changed that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Merida wrote:

Weren't they made by the same people? Hence why some of the early developments in Guilty Crown were ripped from Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. Of course, as nightjuan said Guilty Crown ended doing this weird Neon Genesis Evangelion thing . . . just like Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Of course, as nightjuan said Guilty Crown ended doing this weird Neon Genesis Evangelion thing . . . just like Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2.

True, though it's still worth pointing out R2 spent only a handful of episodes on that sort of material and the ending didn't really try to deal with it, for better or for worse, while Guilty Crown essentially made that an important part of the core narrative. And you know, I can see how this would actually sound like a relatively good idea on paper...if the pacing was better or the characters and their interactions weren't so sleep-inducing as those of Shinji Ver. 2011 and pink-haired Rei.

Quote:
Weren't they made by the same people?

Different directors, two of the same writers...although they switched responsibilities around: Hiroyuki Yoshino didn't get to write any episode scripts in R2, but he wrote about half of Guilty Crown by himself. Ichiro Okouchi wrote most of both Code Geass seasons and yet he only scripted ~6 episodes of this show.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But like I've said before...Guilty Crown's worst offense was its painful mediocrity. Shu and Inori might as well have been literally made out of crystal, if not cardboard, considering just how utterly boring their personalities were. I actually dropped the show a while back, but everything I've heard or read since then (including taking a quick peek at the ending for the sake of curiosity) hasn't changed that.

Inori yes, but I think Shu went through significant - if painfully typical - development cycle, and it was one of the things the show did well.

But mediocrity, yes. Can't disagree there.

Quote:
Different directors, two of the same writers...although they switched responsibilities around: Hiroyuki Yoshino didn't get to write any episode scripts in R2, but he wrote about half of Guilty Crown by himself. Ichiro Okouchi wrote most of both Code Geass seasons and yet he only scripted ~6 episodes of this show.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this, this explains some of it. Though part of me wants to blame the director more than the writers, because I thought that the material itself had a lot of potential, but was put together in a rather haphazard fashion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8